• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IR Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Howard is calling for IR to be back on the public agenda. Abbott, despite his public position on WorkChoices (when it was implemented and in the last election campaign) is scared of the WorkChoices boogey man being used by Labor to wedge him.

C

chief

Howard is calling for IR to be back on the public agenda. Abbott, despite his public position on WorkChoices (when it was implemented and in the last election campaign) is scared of the WorkChoices boogey man being used by Labor to wedge him.

There needs to be some sort of IR reform. Particularly with unfair dismissal. Labor's IR laws are terrible for the two speed economy. Certainly I'm not suggesting a return to the full package of WorkChoices, but I certainly would be welcome to Labour market flexibility for the business end of things. There is such a disincentive to small businesses to employ people because they simply can't get rid of them. Deregulating aspects of IR laws for certain sectors would certainly decrease unemployment and increase productivity. Productivity is at an all time low these days, while wages are constantly going up because of Union's holding the businesses hostage. What we need is real wages growth in line with productivity.

To be fair to Abbott he never supported significant IR reform ie Work Choices, but he needs to obviously do something. From what I understand there are many sections of the Liberal Party who are increasingly frustrated with Abbott's economic policy credentials arguing for significant IR reform, and economic reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.