• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB approved shin guards for rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Try soccer - sorry - football sites, search under gay - not that there is anything wrong with that

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm mainly doing it for the ankle protection available on some shin guards - IF they're approved. I've got enough scar tissue there and some chronic foot pain (and plantar fasciitis) as a result. The podiatrist advised that if I want to be able to walk in a few years to give up rugby. When I stared at her blankly, she recommended getting some kind of protection instead and some orthoses ($500 later - bitch!).

So its either strapping every game (which won't reduce the direct impact from opposition boots) or shin guards. We don't always have a physio at games so I'm checking all options.

Now, are you smart-arse fluffybunnys going to help, or are you going to keep blathering on about how tough you are like you've never even worn a mouth guard?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I had to tape both ankles for the last two years of playing, just make sure you shave beforehand

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I just heard from the NSWRU refs manager who is saying much the same thing - very rare to find shinguards that comply. I blame the lack of rucking...

M

Mainlander

NTA said:
I'm mainly doing it for the ankle protection available on some shin guards - IF they're approved. I've got enough scar tissue there and some chronic foot pain (and plantar fasciitis) as a result. The podiatrist advised that if I want to be able to walk in a few years to give up rugby. When I stared at her blankly, she recommended getting some kind of protection instead and some orthoses ($500 later - bitch!).

So its either strapping every game (which won't reduce the direct impact from opposition boots) or shin guards. We don't always have a physio at games so I'm checking all options.

Now, are you smart-arse fluffybunnys going to help, or are you going to keep blathering on about how tough you are like you've never even worn a mouth guard?

Could never breath with them so never did use a mouth guard. Only protection I ever wore were socks and boots and played with a prop who didn't even wear those in one game (because he forgot them) he got banned for life in that game as well, kicking an opponiant unconcious, happened in the second half he still played the whole first half complete wirh contested scrums in bare feet.

R

rugbywhisperer

NTA said:
Do they exist?

The best way is to contact the ARU - I am sure they will have a list of approved items.
If they don't, just wear em anyway. Everyone does kicking on non approved Tees so a set of shin guards isn't going to upset the apple cart.

And for anyone who wants to really piss off the opposition, if they are using one of the league endorsed kicking tees, just bring it to the attention of the referee just as the opposition kicker is lining up his or her (in the case of English players) kick.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've played with a lot of hookers who have worn shin guards. Not sure why anyone else would need them except maybe the props.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
A proper forward would just man the fuck up and get on with it.

A proper old-style forward would be wearing something like these instead of shin-guards.
Sidestep-HI-HT-8S.jpg

(Gilbert Sidestep X2 High HT, for those interested).

Whereas Our Sydney Correspondent, Propsilla, Queen of the Front Row wants shin guards.

:huxley

Presumably as accessories for this;
80016687.JPG

Mardi Gras is coming, girls, and Nick has to be ready for his big day!

man_pink_tutu.jpg

S

Spook

NTA said:
I just heard from the NSWRU refs manager who is saying much the same thing - very rare to find shinguards that comply. I blame the lack of rucking...

Nick, look for field hockey shin guards. They should cover the side of your foot (boney area)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Your right there Spook. You'll find two kinds of shins. One just stick in your socks but the best one is fitting like a sock over your foot (material around the foot is the same as your rugby knee gaurd) attach to the shin gaurd. Your rugby sock will put the shin into place. You'll find them in any sport shop.

R

Rugby Rat

Best when I was playing junior soccer were the ones that are like socks. Tend to get a bit stinky after a while tho.

If you wear shin guards and not headgear then yep you would make a great prop. Probably better advised to cover the noggin not the shins.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll be wearing head gear anyway Rat - when you're bald its very hard to stop splitting your noggin ...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nic do you wear a ball box to. :nta: Oih forgot, yours have done their works, so you may aswell lose them to. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.