• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB PLAYER OF THE YEAR - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone thinking that this will be the Carter and GOAT show with the others there just to make up the numbers?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Farrell, Michalak and Carter are all weird inclusions. Did the five-eighths guild bribe the panel or something?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Richie McCaw is the only one I would have picked for the nominations. I would imagine that Read lost out simply because McCaw and Carter were being scored ahead of him in tests making it hard for him to accumulate enough points.

Farrell's nomination must be purely down to his 6Ns form where he would have amassed enough points to just sneak in. He would have been man of the match or at least in the top 3 in all of his 6Ns games. I'd imagine there's a whole host of players who were close to pipping him but were a few points short. Michalak I can't work out unless he was voted man of the match by almost the entire selection panel every time he pulled on a French shirt this year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Strange that the IRB Panel give special Mention to Archie's Dad and Hoops.

The current Men in Gold voted this way for the John Eales Medal Count, which included 7 RWC games that are not in the IRB Player of the Year window :
1 Nathan Sharpe 259 points
2 David Pocock 235 points
3 Michael Hooper 171 points
4 Berrick Barnes 160 points

IIRC M Hooper only started in the last 9 of 16 Wobs gamesin the IRB POY Window.
While Bam Bam only started in 7 of the 16 Wobs games (incl the game he was crocked in).

Despite the overwhelming points victory by Sharpie over Bam Bam (lots of RWC points) in the J Eales Medal, there is no "special mention" of these two characters in the IRB shortlist.

Is it possible for the Minister for Statistics and Keeper of the MOM Stats for Gaggerland to run the numbers on our average MOM votes to determine who the most likely candidates for shortlisting should have been from 'Straylia?

Comparing Hoops to Farrell, in all his 9 starts for the Men in Gold he would have been either MOM or in the top 3. How can a potential IRB Player of the Year be dropped from his nations team?

I sense there may be some elements of Eurovision bloc voting from the Shortlisting panel.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I actually feel ill reading that shortlist.......and i know wales lost the last few matches but if michalak can get in on 4 decent tests surely lydiate can get in from the 6 nations

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm really surprised Jonny Sexton, Danny Care and Fracious Louw aren't on the list.

Gotta give it to Carter or McCaw of the four. Will probably be McCaw but either would be fitting.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where's the transparency? Maybe the public should get access to see who got votes from which games..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ You would still have the Eurovision effect of bloc voting if this was opened up to the public.

We just need to accept that everything IRB is always going to be politics driven.

How the Shortlist can be 2 players from the #1 rank team, 0 players from the 2nd and 3rd rank teams, 1 player from the 4th rank team, and 1 player from the #5 rank team who is not even the run on player in his position beggers belief and credibility?

"He displayed good form in the 6N tournament". Zippedy Doo Dah - So what? A tournament between IRB ranks 4 (Les Frogges), 5 (Soap Dodgers), 6 (Spud Bashers), 7 (Leek Eaters), 10 (Pasta Power) and 12 (Single Malts).

Is a standout star player in the Sydney Juniors Under 16C competition going to be a better player than a battler in the Under 16A competition?
It is certainly a lot easier for our U16C star to stand out against lesser skilled players in the easier graded competiton than it is for a kid in the U16A division to to get any MOM points.

Our Mob have been pretty ordinary at times this year, and so have the Saffas, but we are ranked 2 and 3 and have been made to look "ordinary" because we have been playing against some very tough A grade opponents.

If I was ruling the world, at the very least, there would have been at least one Saffa and a one Wob on the shortlist, and possibly a third Darknesser. There would be no way that a bloke who isn't run on for his National team make it.

Reactions: BPC

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Does the panel even watch Rugby? Because from that short list I assume they just watch the IRB half hour highlights program.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sir Richie GOAT, King Keiran, General Carter, and Sheeps Dagg or Conrad the Cucumber?

Messam was pretty dominant in The Rugby Championship, Aaron Smith has performed well all year. You could name half the team.

Whoever is nominated, Keiran Read should have won.

It will surely be Richie.

Reactions: BPC

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
no read huh, geez i am a great judge. the list is appalling mcgraw and carter one can understand, carter especially against ireland, michalak at a pinch but farrell FFS !

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
...Michalak I can't work out unless he was voted man of the match by almost the entire selection panel every time he pulled on a French shirt this year.
That is actually possible.

Still, he shouldn't have been nominated. I agree with everything that's been said here.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Personally, I think McCaw is the only one who deserves to be on that list.
Michalak played well in the November tests.......but that was it, did nothing else in the past 12 months.
Dan Carter was very good when he did play, but he did miss a large amount of games. His inclusion could be justified.
Owen Farrell, I dont think I need to say anything on this, its just completely dumbfounding.

One player who should of hands-down been picked is Juan Martin Fernandez-Lobbe. He is an absolute beast and arguably the best leader in world rugby. He is almost always Argentina's best. Come to think of it, he was one of the best forwards at the WC, one of the best in the RC and one of the best in the November tests....makes sense?

Keiran Reed and Israel Dagg are always brilliant, they both should of been picked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.