• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB PLAYER OF THE YEAR - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Rugby's meant to the thinking in person's game, and we can't even Read.

Edit: Ahem. The irony.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only Wallabies who really could have been there were Hooper and Barnes, and I can only see Barnes having made it.
As for the Saffas, Habana and Louw could have made it.

But really, if it isn't the Darkness who wins it this year, it's wrong.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I would have gone with McCaw, Read, Lobbe and the 4th could be a toss up between a few. Carter maybe, he has played very well when not injured and who else would go ahead of him? Habana would be a fair shot actually. A few other AB's could be put on a larger short-list but there's no need for more than 1 or 2 from one team. Hooper if he had played the June tests would be on it I'm sure, I still would have given him the Australian gong over Nathan Sharpe, who is a solid player but not much more.

Michalek obviously very good in the Autumn tests but not much else. Can't really say too much for the NH, don't get to watch too much (no Eurosport or Setanta). Sergio Parisse is always a pleasure to watch but will never win it playing for Italy. It's a shame Nick Evans is stuck being a Kiwi, he'd be England's #1 ten for a start and one of the world's best at the moment.

From the shortlist it's hard to see how McCaw won't win it, even though Read should get it.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The only Wallabies who really could have been there were Hooper and Barnes, and I can only see Barnes having made it.
As for the Saffas, Habana and Louw could have made it.

But really, if it isn't the Darkness who wins it this year, it's wrong.
Barnes#@!@#*???
Jimmy maybe, but not the other bloke, ffs

Reactions: ACR

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
I reckon winning IRB player of the year and the Kel Tremain Memorial Trophy is ultimate double(for an AB). Not sure Carter will do that though

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
If it's done on average quality of performances, you couldn't go past Carter. The bloke has been outstanding when he's played. His game against Scotland was his best of 2012 for me. He joins McCaw as the only multiple time winner of the award, congrats DC.

More importantly, who did Owen Farrell and Michelak bribe to get put on the shortlist? And how did Berrick Barnes get in the 'unlucky to miss out' list?

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely they are devaluing the award by putting an English back, a flyhalf no less, in the shortlist. The only English skill set for a fly half is that they must be able to kick goals and field goals. They really don't comprehend the flyhalf role.

Top four players in the world? Laughable.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There should be a matches played threshold, probably as a proportion of a team's games. Something like 80% sounds write to me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Darkness Awards have been announced. Not too many surprises:

Award winners:
Kelvin Tremain Memorial Player of the Year: Richie McCaw
Team of the Year: All Blacks
NZRU Coach of the Year: Steve Hansen (All Blacks)
NZRU Women's Player of the Year: Rawinia Everitt
Richard Crawshaw Memorial Sevens Player of the Year: Tomasi Cama (Manawatu)
NZRU Age Grade Player of the Year: Jason Emery
Tom French Memorial Maori Player of the Year: Liam Messam
Super Rugby Player of the Year: Conrad Smith (Hurricanes)
NZRU Referee of the Year: Glen Jackson
Charles Monro Rugby Volunteer of the Year: Ray Watson (Bay of Plenty)
ITM Cup Player of the Year: Robbie Fruean (Canterbury)
Heartland Championship Player of the Year: Peter Rowe (Wanganui)
Steinlager Salver: Ray Harper (Southland)

Source:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10854163

Status
Not open for further replies.