• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Sevens 2013/14 - 10/11 May - Round 9 London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AUSTRALIA v KENYA (Cup 1/4 final)
1 Nick Malouf (s)
2 Jesse Parahi
3 Sam Myers
4 Tom Lucas
5 Peter Schuster (s)
6 Con Foley
7 Cameron Clark
8 James Stannard (s)
9 Ed Jenkins
10 Paul Asquith (s)
11 Lausii Taliauli (s)
12 Afa Pakalani

1st Half
0:53 Tom Lucas Try
4:36 Sam Myers Try
5:04 Cameron Clark Conversion

1/2 time Aus 12- Ken 0

2nd Half
1:14 Humphrey Kayange Try

Full time Aus 12- Ken 0

Australia progress to the Cup Semi Final where they meet the Soap Dodgers who snuck home against Les Frogges by 19 - 17 with a converted try as the last play of the game (as they often do).

Semi Final for Aus is 14:18 (UK time) - 23:18 Sydney time (I think).

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Fiji comfortably deal to Samoa, so two excellent semis coming up

Aus V Poms and ABs V Fiji. If Aus stick to my the script, I'm picking an Aus-NZ final.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The script is for The Wizards and The Darkness to belt the living daylights out of each other and to go to five lots of extra time in their Semi final, meanwhile the Soap Dodgers drop the bundle big time vs the Men in Gold who subsequently win in a canter by 21 points.

The Men in Gold don't care which runner up they meet in the Cup Final.

Observation: NZL captain Forbes usually shaves his whiskers off on day 2 of a tournament. In Scotland and London, this hasn't been the case.

As The Darkness dispatched the Saffers in the QF, they guarantee themselves the fifty eleventh IRB World Series victory. They certainly looked the goods against the Saffers who are not a mug team.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
in a nice turn of poetic justice, England lose 15-12 to your boys with the ref not letting them do the kick off after they score just 3 seconds before the time was up (apparently teams can opt to not take the conversion and instead go straight to the kick off, when time is almost up). England manager is furious, I think the ref might even have been a kiwi. Haha, suck on that, cheaters!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AUSTRALIA v ENGLAND (Cup Semi Final)

1 Nick Malouf (s)
2 Jesse Parahi
3 Sam Myers
4 Tom Lucas
5 Peter Schuster (s)
6 Con Foley
7 Cameron Clark
8 James Stannard (s)
9 Ed Jenkins
10 Paul Asquith (s)
11 Lausii Taliauli (s)
12 Afa Pakalani

1st Half
1:21 Con Foley Try
4:44 Cameron Clark Try
6:24 Cameron Clark Try

1/2 time AUS 15 ENG 0

2nd Half
2:33 Tom Mitchell Try
2:43 Tom Mitchell Conversion
7:49 Dan Norton Try

Full Time AUS 15 - ENG 12

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good shot but we seem to have mental block against NZ in the 7s. NZ looked a little tired there vs Fiji however

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
75,000 crowd yesterday. About 7000 now. Wait til after England plays for 3rd place, there'll be lucky to be 700 in the crowd (if last year is anything to go by).

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Ok 0-21,
we've given you those three tries, so lookout now

There we go, 21-21 at oranges.

Kaka in, 28-21

Foley in, 28-28

Mikkelson in 35-28

Lam in 42-28

Kaka in 47-28

Myers in 47-33

Mrs. Whitelock's son Adam in 52-33

Wow what a try fest. Well done Oz for those three early unanswered tries, but what an awesome comeback from NZ. Both side completely stuffed, but NZ switched on clinical mode and that was it. Again full credit to Oz, played your hearts out and well deserved second place.

BTW, Clark the junior gets player of the tournament. Congrats!

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
both defences clearly tired from their respective semi finals, it's all over the show, and fresh legs helped both teams. 52-33 ABs win

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good result, better than I expected. We finish fifth overall, that's about where we are. Can we get better? Only if we strengthen the squad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only seen the highlights reel. Looks and sounds like it was a massive game to watch in full.

Hoping the full game is on you tube sometime soon.

Congrats to The Darkness. Clinical and professional 7's all year. A joy to watch, as was the Ben Ryan coached Wizards from Fiji.

For Schnoz, sorry the boys couldn't give you the victory in the last match of your coaching career, but it has been a fantastic journey, and a Silver Medal in your last tourney is better than one of the crockery ones.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure, I think we're safe since Fiji are in the top 4 and there's an Oceania spot. We just have to beat Samoa.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just watched the game now.

The NZ try just before HT has only further cemented my view that AR's just think they have to run up & down the side line. Forward pass & he was right in line with it, said nothing, they should create a specsavers ad from that footage.

That aside NZ deserved victory, can't deny that was a great come back.

I don't recognise a few of our guys, Michael said there are some babies, we have newer players this time? I must admit I'm a little out of date with our current 7's players. I think based on expectations we out did ourselves - so have to be happy with that.

Oh, & I think my highlight was England imploding :cool:

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I know the top 4 qualify automatically for Rio, but what's the "as at" date?

After the next Sevens season. Top 4 automatically qualify, then one place for Oceania (Probably a tournament but in reality will be Aus v Samoa), Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America. The last place would come from a repêchage tournament with 4 teams from Europe, 3 from Africa, 3 from Asia, 2 from Oceania, 2 from North America and 2 from South America.

Based on this years standings the teams you would expect in the repechage tournament would be

Europe - Portugal, Spain, Russia, ???
Africa - Zimbabwe, ???, ???
Asia - Sri Lanka, ???, ???
North America - USA, ???
South America - Uruguay, ???
Oceania - Aus/Samoa, Tonga

Funnier things have happened but you would thing Australia should be able to win that as a worse case if they haven't got one of the previous sports. Assuming Oceania doesn't get three teams in the top four you would think the 12 teams at the Olympics would be

Brazil
New Zealand
Fiji
Australia
Samoa
Great Britten
France
South Africa
Kenya
Canada/USA
Japan
Argentina

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheers for that @D-Box, can't help but think that if IRB were running the draw it'd be based on this year's standings, as they do for RWC seedlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.