• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Sevens 2013/14 - Round 4 USA - 24-26 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 4
24-26 Jan 2014

Venue: Sam Boyd Stadium
City: Las Vegas
Capacity: 36,800

Pool A
South Africa
Kenya
Wales
Canada

Pool B
New Zealand
Fiji
Australia
Scotland

Pool C
Samoa
Portugal
England
Uruguay

Pool D
Argentina
France
USA
Spain

AUS in Pool B. As if being out of form wasn't bad enough, we draw the pool of death.
Here comes another Bowl.

Series points so far:
1. NZL 58 points
2. SAF 56 points
3. FIJ 48 points
4. ENG 40 points
5. AUS 34 points
6. ARG 33 points
7= SAM 32 points
7= KEN 32 points
9. WAL 27 points
10.FRA 23 points
11.POR 19 points
12.SCO 15 points
13.CAN 13 points
14.USA 9 points
15 SPA 4 points

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The new ASICS jersey

image.jpg

[url]https://www.facebook.com/photo...27364.107538159288000&type=1&relevant_count=1[/url]

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Better looking jumper than the lime green tradies version they have previously had to play in.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Better looking jumper than the lime green tradies version they have previously had to play in.

Obviously the ARU have given up trying to find a new sponsor for the Sevens team.

The lime green strip was an attempt to give the Sevens a brand if its own.

It would be wonderful if we could attract some tradies to watch the sport, I would have thought.

Speaking of which, any bets on how well the Auckland Nines will go? Looks like it will draw pretty well, maybe it will put some pressure on Wellington.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mungo nines - Yawn. A made for TV version of a niche game with less international relevance than Cornish Bog Snorkling or Transylvanian Cheese Rolling. Comedic value only.

Pretty sure that there is a lawn to mow, or wall to paint somewhere.

Even though Rugby may be struggling in parts of Australia, particularly in juniors and grass roots, this is not repeated worldwide, where it has credibility and is growing in terms of profile, player numbers, and countries playing it.

Fivekick - Only the Eastern States in Australia, a couple of suburbs in Auckland, and a 25 mile wide belt of Northern England are interested.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mungo nines - Yawn. A made for TV version of a niche game with less international relevance than Cornish Bog Snorkling or Transylvanian Cheese Rolling. Comedic value only.

Even though Rugby may be struggling in parts of Australia, particularly in juniors and grass roots, this is not repeated worldwide, where it has credibility and is growing in terms of profile, player numbers, and countries playing it.

Fivekick - Only the Eastern States in Australia, a couple of suburbs in Auckland, and a 25 mile wide belt of Northern England are interested.

So the Auckland Nines will obviously be a huge failure. That's a relief. I was a bit worried that the Kiwis were actually taking a greater interest in league. I am glad to accept your reassurances that everything in our little garden is coming up roses.

It doesn't look all that great from where I sit. But then, I live in one of the Eastern States.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Until the NZ League team can regularly beat the Kangaroos, or the Warriors become perennial NRL Grand Finalists, Fivekick will remain a niche sport in NZ.

The kiwis like it on the rare occasions when they beat the NRL All stars, but until this happens regularly and predictably then their default transtasman bragging rights sport will remain Rugby.

If no one sees the tree fall in a forest, was there any noise?
I will not be watching the Auckland 9's so whether they are considered successful or not matters little to me.

For the followers of Loig, The Auckland 9's will probably be deemed a success. NRL and Ch Nein will be pumping all the $ and marketing hype into it that they can in order to make it a success. Ch Nein and News Ltd have a huge financial stake in the success of NRL.

Of course everything in our little rugby garden is coming up roses. Roses thrive on cow manure, and there is an awful lot of BS being spread around in Australian Rugby ATM. Rugby's roses are thriving.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When the Warriors made the GF in 2011 it was a big deal over there and that was during the RWC.

I think the RL 9's will do quite well and will become an annual event. It may open up a pathway for more NRL players to switch as they will think they can have a shot at the Olympics. Also the crowds will grow. It's about the party with these events. It might not sell out this year but it wont take long.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

For someone who professes to be ambivalent about the other code,you post about it a hell of a lot.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I must say I do like the new Asics kit. Will be interested in what the Alt strip will look like.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Australian Squad for Las Vegas announced:

Jordan Tuapou, Sunnybank, QLD
Con Foley, University of Queensland, QLD
Jesse Parahi, Northern Suburbs, NSW
Sam Myers, Northern Suburbs, NSW
Allan Fa’alava’au, Endeavour Hills, VIC
Peter Schuster, Northern Suburbs, NSW
Greg Jeloudev, Sydney University, NSW
Cameron Clark, Northern Suburbs, NSW
Shannon Walker, Easts, QLD
Nick Malouf, University of Queensland, QLD
Tom Lucas, Sunnybank, QLD
Paul Asquith, Southern Districts, NSW

"Three replacements and one enforced change have been made to the side that competed in South Africa with Sean McMahon, Luke Morahan and James Stannard replaced by familiar Sevens representatives, Allan Fa’alava’au, Cameron Clark and Peter Schuster.

Sean McMahon and Luke Morahan step down as they return to Super Rugby duties with the Melbourne Rebels and Western Force.

The experienced Jordan Tuapou replaces Captain Ed Jenkins, who is unavailable due to injury."

source:http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/10736/Default.aspx

Watch it live
Las Vegas Sevens live on Fox Sports from 10.55am on Saturday 25, 6.55am on Sunday 26 and 4.10am on Monday 27 January (AEDT).
All matches will be streamed live at www.irbsevens.com

Australia will take on New Zealand at 11.44am Saturday 25 January, followed by Fiji at 3.02pm (AEDT).

Huge ask for the boys to progress to the Cup.

Regardless of the ARU Presser hype, Ed J will be a big loss for the team.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I heard the promoter on the radio yesterday,he claimed there were 100 odd tickets left.
He enjoyed saying that the 7's had sold out within 3 minutes in the last 10 years.
This year they still have 7,000 tickets left.
I believe the 7's is on the week before the 9's

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's tough being in the same pool as the Kiwis and Fiji. However, to win tournaments like this we have to play the top sides and beat them, either in the pool rounds (if that is what it takes) or in the finals. Trite, but true.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If we can get a win over one of them and make it to the Cup quarters then we'll be doing well.

The draw didn't help us though as we will play them both when they're fresh. Hopefully the Fijians will have an eye on the NZ game when we play them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So we have to beat Scotland. Not so easy these days.

But it would be great for a squad as unsettled as this one is (in terms of player availability) to make the Cup round.

Status
Not open for further replies.