• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
foster should be sacked and never show his face again

"A New Zealand Rugby media manager stepped in when Foster was asked if he even wanted to remain All Blacks coach."

Can't help but compare that to Smith being asked if he thought he was the right guy to take AB to the next RWC & he flat-out said he didn't know. As I've commented before, Foster seems utterly lacking in self-analysis.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
"A New Zealand Rugby media manager stepped in when Foster was asked if he even wanted to remain All Blacks coach."

Can't help but compare that to Smith being asked if he thought he was the right guy to take AB to the next RWC & he flat-out said he didn't know. As I've commented before, Foster seems utterly lacking in self-analysis.
Cries for sacking the coach when a team loses to a better team all always make me laugh…he was put in as the best at the time available…who else do you put in?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
he was put in as the best at the time available…who else do you put in?
patrick-bateman-patrick-bateman-blocked.gif

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cries for sacking the coach when a team loses to a better team all always make me laugh…he was put in as the best at the time available…who else do you put in?

I'm not calling for him to be sacked. As I've also said before, he & his AC's have got us to where we are so it's up to them to either get us to where we need to be, OR admit they're not up to it & stand aside. If that were to happen I'd probably look at Schmidt as interim HC through to RWC but I wouldn't be making any promises wrt what happens after that.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NZ Herald is going to be a tremendous read
Surprised they opened the comments section on Stuff.

One of the articles published this morning already had 419 posts about 2 hours after publication.

The charalatan will surely not last the day. This has been building for YEARS. Ask Chiefs fans, incredulous that their claytons coach was even included in the AB setup 10 years ago.....

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You obviously don’t know about AB rugby. The concerns about Foster have been around ever since Hansen made him assistant coach. More than a few fans were hoping for Scott Robertson to get the job. Personally, I was hoping Rennie would get the job but he took the Wallaby one perhaps knowing that the NZRU already had their minds made up about life after Hansen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foster a no-show at the now-traditional Sunday morning media session. No reason given.

Edit: last line of the stuff article is "MORE TO COME"

Last edited:

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not calling for him to be sacked. As I've also said before, he & his AC's have got us to where we are so it's up to them to either get us to where we need to be, OR admit they're not up to it & stand aside. If that were to happen I'd probably look at Schmidt as interim HC through to RWC but I wouldn't be making any promises wrt what happens after that.

IIRC Schmidt has said he doesn't want to be doing any serious coaching for at least the foreseeable future. Chiefly (I think) because his son has some major form of epilepsy so he doesn't want to be jet setting around the world again. Best I could see is he gets a coaching-the-coaches sort of role and works on the national (and maybe Blues...) development systems, then maybe assists national teams when they're in NZ, or maybe also Australia at best.

I don't see any other overseas HC candidates - such as Rennie or Cotter - leaving their positions at this stage, largely because of personal characteristics and/or because NZR has properly shafted them one way or another. So that really probably leaves Robertson, MacDonald or McMillan. Of them, Robertson has the best results and has been able to get those results quickly (albeit off a higher starting point than either of the other two). Personally I'd have liked him to have some overseas experience prior, but it is what it is. Also gets the bastard out of the Crusaders...

EDIT: Now if Robertson could get O'Gara on board then that would be a real coup and help solve the overseas experience reservation.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats Ireland. Well deserved series win. By far the better side.

ABs desperately need a cleanout. The first half was the worst AB performance I have seen in my lifetime.

Not a great ABs side but this coaching staff is a joke. There's no detail to what the ABs do with anything.

That was a complete carbon copy of Paris last year - shit the bed in the first half. Go up the middle early second half with success. Fade late and end up losing comfortably.

Seeing Codie Taylor shit the bed out there whilst Samisoni wasn't even in the 23 was ridiculous.

More than selection though the players out there don't seem to have a plan in attack or defence - or they plans they do have are awful.

The 'very good defence' shipped 32 points with the same defence coach as they've had since 2017. It's a joke.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)

This is an absolute piss take surely?

Serious question - how closely have you followed Foster's overall coaching career and the ABs over the last 12 months?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The CEO has spoken:

"Congratulations to the Irish team for their well-deserved win last night but clearly the performance across the series for the All Blacks was not acceptable as we know they have reflected. We all know there is a huge amount of work to do," Robinson said.

"Our focus now is to work with Ian and his team to understand thoroughly in advance of the Rugby Championship what is needed to improve performance and where to from here. We will begin this work immediately."

Edit: Some random Hamiltonians have also spoken:

I think this convo belongs on the NZ Rugby Team thread from here on...

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The CEO has spoken:

"Our focus now is to work with Ian and his team to understand thoroughly in advance of the Rugby Championship what is needed to improve performance and where to from here. We will begin this work immediately."
huh-confused.gif

Does anyone have any experience in the Bizness world and can deconstruct what that sad platitudinal string of templated bizspeak implies?

I have no idea.

my best guesses:

- we are actually going to try and "work" with Ian and his team
- motherfucker is so fired we just havent got Razor on the phone yet
- motherfucker is so fired lawyers are just dicking around with the fuck off forever Fozzie fineprint
- motherfucker is to be told Joe Schmidt runs the team now ffs just sit over there you useless dead-eyed clueless motherfucker
- motherfucker is to be told all his salary thief assistants are fired to shit and Joe Schmidt runs the team now you useless dead-eyed clueless motherfucker.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have just got homr from being at test. Was a bloody good test to be at. Have to say said to son and brother in laws before game that it was looking pretty worrying, doing the warm ups, they were doing ruck etc in groups all 3x 9s were passing off ground to second runner, I really thought from week before we needed some one of runners, RM dropped first 2 balls passed to him etc, looked messy.
One thing that surprised when game got going was in defence Will Jordan looked a bit lost on wing and kept creeping in field, and Irish seemed to like the left wing attack. Geez Irish are an all round bloody good team, had some very juducial injuries in the last 20, there seemed to be quite a few stoppages when they were in defence. Bloody great play from Ireland and ABs have to make some pretty big chamges in something to sort stuff out, at times it seemed Ardie was having to carry the team, it was no surprise he was the one who put Jordan into gap for his brilliant try (you can't buy or replace speed)
All in all a bloody good night and reaffirmation why you go to tests etc when you can, and enjoy the time with supporters both home and visiting.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I spent last week trying to give Sam Cane the benefit if the doubt. We’ve had past and current players telling us about how good he is and what he means to the team.

I have to say that at the 66th min last night as Dalton Papali’i ran on to replace Cane, I thought ‘Bullshit’

Cane simply cannot be captain of this team. I cannot think of any game where McCaw would have been pulled off if the ABs were down. Every person at home, at the game, on the field knew what McCaw meant to to the ABs both as a player and the captain. Cane just isn’t that guy.

Ardie is. Sure - like McCaw he may need some time to hone his captaincy and leadership but the first guy picked and the last man you take off is Ardie Savea.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Foster a no-show at the now-traditional Sunday morning media session. No reason given.

Edit: last line of the stuff article is "MORE TO COME"
Did you see Breakdown WOB, Goldie Wilson says the whole press conference thing being cancelled was crap, as there was never a press conference booked, they already knew that. Was also interesting how they ripped into the so called review etc being done, probably a bit of window dressing in my opinion. There is meant to be a squad named to go to SA this week, no way is there going to be much changed by Wednesday, certainly no changes in coaches etc, as they would have to be working right now to name a team surely? I think they will at most have a meeting say we pissed off and make some staement afterwards.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is meant to be a squad named to go to SA this week, no way is there going to be much changed by Wednesday, certainly no changes in coaches etc, as they would have to be working right now to name a team surely? I think they will at most have a meeting say we pissed off and make some statement afterwards.

Whilst I agree there won't be anything done there is enough time now to do something if they want to. The first test in SA is 3 weeks away. They'd be far better off making the change now than waiting until post Bledisloe.

Status
Not open for further replies.