• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@KAOP this is the Mumm YC, 0:15-0:18 of the clip

Not a tip tackle per se but a dangerous/ reckless/ needless act. He's lucky he only got yellow what with WR (World Rugby)'s latest edict on protecting players' heads.

Fair call on the second Irish try, tho, Arnold impeded & pocket defender Pocock taken out well behind the ruck ~2:08 in.

K

KAOPointman

But Twoilms, they can have it both ways, thats the rub. They are the final adjudicator and their decision stands irregardless. Yes they make mistakes, yes teams have lost games due to those mistakes, yes the perceived injustice can seem intolerable.
But is there a solution to this human aspect to the game where the result of every decision is painstakingly reviewed and argued to the point of relegating bad decisions out of the equation. I dont think there is. So the reality is we just have to deal with it. And boy o boy the wallaby brainstrust are definitely not dealing with it.
Sorry but that's rubbish! There is a team of refs at the games disposal! We only see issues when refs think they're bigger then the game and don't ask opinions or views from the other refs. When this happens 99% of the time they reach a respectable comclusion!
They should act as a TEAM of refs......not just one in the middle! THATS HOW YOU PREVENT THE RUBBISH!
Compare that ^^^^^^^ with this game....where the Reff casts an arrogant glance at a "referred" review and gets it blatantly wrong! He could have taken 10secs to ask the other refs their opinion!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
@KAOP this is the Mumm YC, 0:15-0:18 of the clip

Not a tip tackle per se but a dangerous/ reckless/ needless act. He's lucky he only got yellow what with WR (World Rugby)'s latest edict on protecting players' heads.

Fair call on the second Irish try, tho, Arnold impeded & pocket defender Pocock taken out well behind the ruck ~2:08 in.
By the letter of the law, I thought it was supposed to be a red card. I thought there was a clear edict that players can't lift a player, in the tackle or breakdown and, if they do and they land on their head it is an automatic red card.

Could be wrong though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
By the letter of the law, I thought it was supposed to be a red card. I thought there was a clear edict that players can't lift a player, in the tackle or breakdown and, if they do and they land on their head it is an automatic red card.

Could be wrong though.

I think that's right - when does the time for the citing commissioner to act expire?

N

NTT

We bombed 3 tries, Folau ignored a 3 v1, pocock threw a forward pass and that offload hit Kuridrani in the foot. Thats where we lost it. The poor discipline didn't help but we should have won regardless, need to finish our chances.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Could be wrong though.

Law 10.4 Dangerous play and misconduct

(j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

Law 10.5 Sanctions

(a) Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes’ playing time, or sent-off.

Need one of the refs on here to clarify, but by my reading the ref has some discretion re. penalty, yellow card, red card. I haven't studied the latest Reg's that come into effect on 3/01/17 to be 100% sure, but my initial reading of them is that as of that date it's either yellow or red at the refs discretion. Again, probably need an actual ref who's read the reg to confirm.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/206986

Reactions: TSR

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Seems to me to read Admonished or Cautioned (yellow or red). So full spectrum but minimum a penalty.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What you mean when he drew in two players and then passed it to foley and Foley dropped it cold with a clear try line??
They should all expect the ball at all times..

And all you guys warbling on about guys complaining about the refs...go jump! Every loosing team can complain when the refs are as inconsistent as they are!
The wallabies suffered on the field for committing so many penalties, therefore debt paid...they don't need a world class group of Reffs to ignore a blatant block that lets in a try..a try that proved the difference! Let's not forget "yellow" cards for a self inflicted high tackle and a tip tackle that wasn't a tip tackle let alone dangerous...all coming from the "welsh listen to my gospel sideline" Reff! (Smacks forehead)!
Oh well plenty of class shown...we just need a tad more tough mobility up front and a 10 that can attack properly and we'll be fine!

I'll say it again just like every game..if Quade had dropped a sitter a metre out and passed two blind dud hospital passes that led to turnovers..he'd never play again! Let alone that foley played almost no role in our good attacks or tries!

10/10 for the Quade fanboi parody. You nailed it

K

KAOPointman

Seems to me to read Admonished or Cautioned (yellow or red). So full spectrum but minimum a penalty.
Yep so you'd imagine on a full spectrum.....there's lifting tackles that only deserve a talking too and some a penalty. This one receives a yellow despite what appeared to be no danger to the player......and it looked pretty flat! Let's not forget the linesman was suggesting RED downgrading to maybe yellow because he didn't land on his head!
Consistency is what everyone wants. Refs should work harder to achieve this....

Kev

Herbert Moran (7)
I feel like this picture sums up this test season very well. Lots of opportunities but shot ourselves in the foot half the time.

image.jpeg

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I feel like this picture sums up this test season very well. Lots of opportunities but shot ourselves in the foot half the time.

View attachment 8739

IMO we've invented new ways of shooting our selves in the foot this season, but what made this stuff up by Izzy so jarring was that this season we've been doing draw and pass well.

This was a howler

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Folau no-pass thing is a bit of a distraction since we scored a minute or two later through Naivalu. Wasn't a great piece of play but I don't think it was that costly overall.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
IMO we've invented new ways of shooting our selves in the foot this season, but what made this stuff up by Izzy so jarring was that this season we've been doing draw and pass well.

This was a howler
Yeah shockers. 10 man rugby stuff.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yep so you'd imagine on a full spectrum...there's lifting tackles that only deserve a talking too and some a penalty. This one receives a yellow despite what appeared to be no danger to the player..and it looked pretty flat! Let's not forget the linesman was suggesting RED downgrading to maybe yellow because he didn't land on his head!
Consistency is what everyone wants. Refs should work harder to achieve this..
No - player safety is what I want above everything. On my viewing he was not just lifted, but driven downwards and his head made first contact with the ground.

I was happy with a yellow, but if he had of copped a red I would have accepted it. I note Dean Mumm didn't appear to complain and appeared to only apologise to the Irish captain when he was carded.

K

KAOPointman

The Folau no-pass thing is a bit of a distraction since we scored a minute or two later through Naivalu. Wasn't a great piece of play but I don't think it was that costly overall.
Agreed. 9out of ten times Folou busts the first 1-2 guys and at least drags them 5 metres! With that in mind....a pass is possibly a risk. He gets the ball away anyhow...and it gets fumbled!
Not that big a deal but certainly a huge chance! Not as heart renching as unjustified Reff stuff ups. Those you can't fix! Well.....cheiks is trying tho! Ha

K

KAOPointman

No - player safety is what I want above everything. On my viewing he was of just lifted, but driven downwards and his head made first contact with the ground.

I was happy with a yellow, but if he had of copped a red I would have accepted it. I note Dean Mumm didn't appear to complain and appeared to only apologise to the Irish captain when he was carded.
Ummm NO. The laws indicate there IS room for the refs to rate the lift tackles from bad to worse.....ranging from a talking to, too a red card. The refs themselves were heard saying he did not land on his head so it was a yellow!
So if he did land on his head....then your saying they got a serious safety matter wrong aswell?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If that's what they said, then yes. I've reviewed the clip above and he appears to land clearly head first IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I thought a yellow was fair - but if we want consistancy, than with dangerous play, whether deliberate or a accidental, there needs to be harsh penalties.

I'm not sure of the bit of my post you are saying um no too - My original post said I thought the laws required a red, but I haven't argued with the subsequent posts that show the ref has discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.