• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That said: were you critical of Foley for "kicking it away" against Wales with 20 seconds on the clock?

I seem to believe that choosing to hold onto a ball with 30 seconds to play when 5 points up is different from trying to run multiple phases inside your 22 off most kick offs. So, I fail to see the relevance.

To be fair and answer your question, I was critical of more than Foley for that play, as kicking it away was a screw up from both the forwards and halves.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jones training with the 1st choice pack. So was Carter. Some interesting signs at training if we can read anything into it.

If we look at everyone wearing white vests looks like this will be the team.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

Not many hints with the bench although Schatz was running some lineouts so possibly in and Mann-Rea too.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Jones training with the 1st choice pack. So was Carter.

So Jones and Carter are packing down as locks or Carter/Simmons at lock with Jones at 6?

edit: Seen the updated post. I like the look of that side a lot in terms of experimenting and promoting players of interest. I'd still rather see Horwill ahead of Carter and long term I'd have Quade as my 10 (I know he's short of match fitness atm) but I can comfortably live with seeing that starting XV play this weekend.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Jones training with the 1st choice pack. So was Carter. Some interesting signs at training if we can read anything into it.

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau

I like that team. The pack is balanced in terms of height/weight (if a little bit raw) and the backs have strike power across the park.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon we can take them with that side.
Interesting to see how Jones goes. He should be fired up and hopefully will be more composed than the last time out.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If that is the side then Cheika is not exactly going crazy with selections giving other squad members a run.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Too many changes would be a mistake.
The teamwork would be missing plus there would be limited performance feedback to come from that scenario.
E.G. Lets say Cheika decides he needs to do something about the lineouts because we have a total screw up this weekend.
If he changes 2 players from the starting pack, then he has got multiple variables to assess and judge before he can make any decisions.
If he keeps things similar but slightly modified he's got more chance of managing the evolution of the pack / team.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
chas - not sure about your logic there, because coaches/teams are faced with different scenarios all the time that they need to adapt and act on. They watch plenty of film and if for example they choose to play Carter and Simmons, the coaches would've looked at games prior to last weekend to see how things worked with those two (it hasn't been all bad all the time!).

Also if he plays Jones, a genuine lineout option at 6, then even if it doesn't work, at least he will know why as opposed to not knowing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
chas - not sure about your logic there, because coaches/teams are faced with different scenarios all the time that they need to adapt and act on. They watch plenty of film and if for example they choose to play Carter and Simmons, the coaches would've looked at games prior to last weekend to see how things worked with those two (it hasn't been all bad all the time!).

Also if he plays Jones, a genuine lineout option at 6, then even if it doesn't work, at least he will know why as opposed to not knowing.

Simmo will probably only call lineouts to himself:):)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be on board with that side. Carter back in I'm iffy on. I'd probably remain with Horwill for now and have Carter on the bench for Skelton

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I read somewhere comments from Cooper that he was finding it tough work adapting the Cheika's style of play, which is unlike what he has played in the past. From first glance it doesn't look that different. I wonder if this is making Cheika hesitant to start Cooper.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Carter
6. Jones
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
15. Folau

That's almost the same side I wanted to see, the only difference being I chose Cooper to start. But I cant complain too much with Foley at 10. Would be great to see To'omua, Speight and Jones injected into the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.