• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd like to see this being a game of two halves.
By that I mean to have (as we do), Messrs. Phipps & Foley for the first half, and Ginea with Cooper in the second half. Not just 20 minutes.
That way it will allow a better understanding of which pair of the four halves adds the most to the team.
I'd rather see Quade come on at half time and Genia at 60 min so we can see how Phipps - Quade goes as a partnership.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I've been thinking about this a bit for and thought it this year and last year. Do we drop people too quick because they dont perform against the Bok/AB and think to much of the games against the NH teams.

I think back to To'omua's start at 10 for the Wallabies it was a new coach new to international rugby, he played the best team twice in a row and got dropped till the end of year tour where he actually excelled.

This year it happened to Beale, he played the AB's and the Bok and was done and dusted after that.

To'omua will probably come back at 12 gangbusters against the irish, get selected at 12 for next RC then get dropped before the RWC.

I alluded to this earlier that , two things sucked for deans and ewen, new coach, playing the AB's first. Chekia has the new team, playing Barbars and NH teams.

I like this team alot more for balance in the backrow. lets hope the bench has the same.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
On a good note the weather forecast looks to be a dry and sunny 10c, for Saturday in Dublin.

If it remains dry I think the Wallabies will win, if it gets wet then Ireland will take this one.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cheika probably favoured To'omua @ 12 from the start but he was always going to keep the players from the Bledisloe given his limited time with the team, after a win against Wales wasn't going to drop Lilo either so now after a loss him going back to To'omua is justifiable.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
I still think next week is more important than this week in terms of laying down a marker for the World Cup pool, though Ireland may be the more complete team right now.[/quote]
Agree,Hawko.I can almost tolerate losing to Ireland but certainly not to the Poms!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
as good a team as TGC and Nathan G could have selected from the herd they were given.
i could not have selected better - high praise for them.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
By that I mean to have (as we do), Messrs. Phipps & Foley for the first half, and Ginea with Cooper in the second half. Not just 20 minutes.
That way it will allow a better understanding of which pair of the four halves adds the most to the team.
The only reason I don't like your idea is that I hope Phipps and Foley are carving them up in the first half,then you would not want to see them replaced.For sure if they are not doing anything special,then give Genia/Cooper a go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes, it's risk vs reward. The risk is that picking a player who is short of a run will backfire because you've left out a player who has been doing reasonably well. I'm pretty sure if I look I'll find a post from you suggesting Tomane was pretty good against France (which I'm happy to agree with).

BH I hope to see you use the same measure in respect of Beale if he replaces Quade on the bench. No recent game time and therefore short of at least one run, maybe more knowing how his weight has balooned out on previous occasions he has been out of the game for a period, and acknowledging that Quade has shown improvement and did reasonably well in his time on against France and in the later NRC games.

As for Tomane, he clearly outplayed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last week, when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) really had a shocker for him. Not arguing here that Tomane should replace AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), just recording that he played better last week.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The only reason I don't like your idea is that I hope Phipps and Foley are carving them up in the first half,then you would not want to see them replaced.For sure if they are not doing anything special,then give Genia/Cooper a go.
We really shouldn't be bracketing Cooper with Genia.. Or Foley with Phipps it's in fair on the players.. Plus Id say White deserve Genia's spot :D

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

not interested in Genia (SIC) and Foley or Phipps and Cooper?
odd selectorial stance, that one.

i'd like to see both those combos given an extensive trial.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH I hope to see you use the same measure in respect of Beale if he replaces Quade on the bench. No recent game time and therefore short of at least one run, maybe more knowing how his weight has balooned out on previous occasions he has been out of the game for a period, and acknowledging that Quade has shown improvement and did reasonably well in his time on against France and in the later NRC games.

As for Tomane, he clearly outplayed AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last week, when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) really had a shocker for him. Not arguing here that Tomane should replace AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), just recording that he played better last week.

I agree completely. I wouldn't be picking Beale this week. I probably wouldn't pick him next week either unless it is clear he is somehow in blistering form at training. Cooper should be in the 23 for both the remaining games.

I also agree that Tomane was better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last week. I don't think that has been the case most games though and the threshold for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to lose his place in the team is understandably higher than Tomane.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree completely. I wouldn't be picking Beale this week. I probably wouldn't pick him next week either unless it is clear he is somehow in blistering form at training. Cooper should be in the 23 for both the remaining games.

I also agree that Tomane was better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) last week. I don't think that has been the case most games though and the threshold for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to lose his place in the team is understandably higher than Tomane.

Yep, agree and agree. Only qualifications are that I'd like to see Cooper start against England now that he has missed this game, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s threshold is declining. And longer term, he might be competing with Honey Badger, JOC (James O'Connor) and Tomane if things work out for the first two.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Going with 3 props?

I'm going with

16. Hanson
17. Robinson
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton
20. Schatz
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Beale

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My money is on Horwill, Cooper and Schatz dropped from the bench.

I think you are wrong on all counts but most particularly because it's highly unlikely that he'll keep 3 props on the bench..

Faulkner, Skelton, Horne I reckon will be left out.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

In a test you should be playing your country's best players. But if the likes of Cooper, who many punters believe is better than Foley, can't get a game in their preferred position, then that's a very sad indictment on the wisdom of the coach .
Because Cheika knows Foley from being his coach in Super 15, it doesn't mean he shouldn't at least see if the alternative might even carve up the opposition more.
And Foley hasn't really being carving them up.

Dependable, yes. Workmanlike, yes. Backs orchestrator, NO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tough call dropping Hodgson out of 23.

McMahon still a great prospect so great he got a couple of tests....will learn from the experience no doubt ...sure we will see him in the future but great to see Jones get a run...

Good to see spreight get a run....hope he goes better than his game against Baa Baas and hppe he has a blinder...as we certainly need some other wing options for RWC to emerge....as area of concern.....

Status
Not open for further replies.