• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2023

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pats v Gregs - Close game due to Pats injuries. Going with Pats to win at home.

Auggies vs Pius - Better trial form from Pius. Auggies have reportedly looked strong in games. Auggies to win at home.

Stannies vs Oakhill - Travelling and refs level games out west. Stannies have been up and down in trials. Oakhill need to play for 70 minutes. Oakhill to win in a close one.
Come on Thomas. You can’t be serious about the country refs making a level playing field

Sammicheals

Bob McCowan (2)
Pats V Greg’s: Pats 10+ I think Pats work rate up front and skills in the backs get the job done I’m sure it will be a physical contest

Auggies v Pius: Auggies 20+ Auggies coming off pretty even trial results but I feel they are the better team in this game and are one of the comp favourites.

Oakhill v Stannies: Oakhill 15+ will be to classy for this Stannies outfit I still think it will be tough for Oakhill against those country boys

Last edited:

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
As some schools are playing their first trial this weekend I thought I'd give my prediction for the ISA competition in the 1sts and 2nds sides.

1ST XV

1. Oakhill - I have Oaks coming first this year purely based off last years performances and depth. Consistently putting on strong 1st XV outfits every year have placed them at the top of my list. Their year 12 Cohort seems to be the best across ISA judging off their 2nds scores last year, and the year 11s have some very fine talent across their age group as well. Definitely not unbeatable though, they will have some close games.

2/3. Pats - Conti and Woods have been amongst some of the best players in the Harold Matthews comp this year. I'm putting them at 2/3 because they do not hold the depth that Oakhill does, especially in the forwards, and 2 freak players won't beat a side of 15 solid men. I can still see them finishing first though, if their forwards are going to show up and match the tenacity and speed Conti and Woods thrive in, I can see them taking out Oaks and Auggies.

2/3. Auggies - A dark horse runner for me. Has a very well rounded backline now and has a very solid and underrated forward pack. They will finish anywhere in the top 3 I'm sure, Walsh will impact this team massively with his play-style and the craftiness of Blank at 9 and Berryman at 15 will definitely assist him. I can see this squad beating Oaks and Pats and I'm sure both those games will be nail biters. Pats and Auggies are interchangeable at 2 and 3, I can also see both teams taking that top spot.

4. Stannies - Another question mark for me. Don't really know how well they are this year. They always show a good fight though and will not back down against the top 3 teams. A lot of passion as well and will be hard to beat at home.

5. Pius - Again, don't really know how well they are, there have been talks on this forum about their promising hooker which could tighten up their forward and I know they have some good back row defenders and some fast shifty backs. Could see them fairing well up against the teams above them.

6. Gregs - Again, another throw up. Could be good when a good team comes along and did beat the 16A champions, Auggies, last year. Hopefully competitive but still a prominent league school over union.

7. Kinross - I hope Kinross go well this year but I can't really see this happening. They did not look too promising last year in the 1sts or 2nds so it might be a tough year, please prove me wrong though.

And now for the 2nds.

2ND XV
1. Auggies - A lot of talent at Auggies, can see them beating some 1st teams.
2. Oakhill - So much depth.
3. Stannies - Pure grit from the boys in Bathurst, can see them getting up as the passion for rugby is unmatched.
4. Pats - Should have a solid team, 1st XV should challenge them to be good.
5. Pius - A decent 2nd XV team last year as well as a good 16A team should leave some good players.
6. Kinross - Hopefully since rugby is their main sport they have a few players to choose from which will make them competitive.
7. Gregs - Not too much depth over at Gregs with most boys playing league.
^
These were my pre-trial predictions for comparison.

Final post-trial pre-season predictions for ISA 2023

7) Pius - Has been playing weak teams in trial matches this year, they needed a matchup against a big school to kick them into gear. The first game against Auggies should give them a wake-up warning and will determine just how strong they are going up against a battle-hardened team. Have lost to Aloys to which Gregs decimated.

6) Kinross - Has had quite a successful trial run, beating TAS and Sydney Grammar by significant margins. They should be happy with their pre-season results and can see them beating Stannies and Gregs on their day.

5) Stannies - Pretty rough start to the season for the boys from Bathurst. Tough losses against Barker and Scots. Missing an X-factor player that can change a game for them. Still, a respected team, and no one will have an easy time beating them at home. Could place higher!

4) Pats - They just haven't seemed to piece together their team yet. The backs are phenomenal and need to be used more. The forward pack lacks size but has shown plenty of heart in games and has placed their bodies on the line in numerous games. They still need to place the pieces of the puzzle together though but once they are humming, don't count out Pats. The underdogs for me this year.

3) Gregs - WOW, what a trial season it has been this year for the Gregs boys. To think I had them placed 6th in my predicted ladder earlier on in the year. Their forward pack has been outstanding, with plenty of size and strength which has got them through tough games against Riverview 2nds and Trinity while also decimating a decent Aloys outfit. Very excited to see how they go this year.

2) Oakhill - The most well-rounded side in ISA this year, a very good forward pack accompanied by swift backs has allowed them to contest with some of the biggest schools in GPS and CAS this year. They can definitely beat Auggies on their day, but again, they need to play smart and to their advantages. Very slim difference between them and the 1 spot.

1) Auggies - Been very consistent throughout the trial season. Strong wins across the board and some very talented players all around the team this year have been a game changer for them. Have beaten an unusually strong Cranbrook side and tight games against Waverley. A dangerous side that has the necessary players to cause damage.

Very excited about what this season brings this year, and keen to know who lifts the ISA shield and reigns victorious. We are in for some cracker games!

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
^
These were my pre-trial predictions for comparison.

Final post-trial pre-season predictions for ISA 2023

7) Pius - Has been playing weak teams in trial matches this year, they needed a matchup against a big school to kick them into gear. The first game against Auggies should give them a wake-up warning and will determine just how strong they are going up against a battle-hardened team. Have lost to Aloys to which Gregs decimated.

6) Kinross - Has had quite a successful trial run, beating TAS and Sydney Grammar by significant margins. They should be happy with their pre-season results and can see them beating Stannies and Gregs on their day.

5) Stannies - Pretty rough start to the season for the boys from Bathurst. Tough losses against Barker and Scots. Missing an X-factor player that can change a game for them. Still, a respected team, and no one will have an easy time beating them at home. Could place higher!

4) Pats - They just haven't seemed to piece together their team yet. The backs are phenomenal and need to be used more. The forward pack lacks size but has shown plenty of heart in games and has placed their bodies on the line in numerous games. They still need to place the pieces of the puzzle together though but once they are humming, don't count out Pats. The underdogs for me this year.

3) Gregs - WOW, what a trial season it has been this year for the Gregs boys. To think I had them placed 6th in my predicted ladder earlier on in the year. Their forward pack has been outstanding, with plenty of size and strength which has got them through tough games against Riverview 2nds and Trinity while also decimating a decent Aloys outfit. Very excited to see how they go this year.

2) Oakhill - The most well-rounded side in ISA this year, a very good forward pack accompanied by swift backs has allowed them to contest with some of the biggest schools in GPS and CAS this year. They can definitely beat Auggies on their day, but again, they need to play smart and to their advantages. Very slim difference between them and the 1 spot.

1) Auggies - Been very consistent throughout the trial season. Strong wins across the board and some very talented players all around the team this year have been a game changer for them. Have beaten an unusually strong Cranbrook side and tight games against Waverley. A dangerous side that has the necessary players to cause damage.

Very excited about what this season brings this year, and keen to know who lifts the ISA shield and reigns victorious. We are in for some cracker games!
Good write up JJ and hard to argue against. Gregs are definitely the joker in the pack this season and agree that their trial form needs to be respected. I suspect their game against Pats this year could well be one of the hardest for them both. It's going to be a great day out at Breen.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Someone asked over on the GPS thread if Kinross were playing the Joeys 5th's this weekend. Can anyone confirm?

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
A bit of fun for your Friday morning before Round 1 commences. I present - The CASISA Cup (Part 1). A not-too-serious look at how the CAS/ISA matchups went so far. Part 2 will come out at the end of the season and include the association games

A few notes -
1) The top team(s) is/are the one(s) with the greatest points average (not total points). This accounts for not every team playing each other, or the same amount of inter association games. You are trying to keep you points average at 3
2) 3 for a win, 2 for the draw and 1 for a loss
3) This system disadvantages Pius as they played two 2nd XV teams (and are not included in this table)
4) This table also disadvantages those who had a harder trial season by playing more fancied teams. Pats and Oakhill come to mind whilst Gregs and Kinross appear to be the beneficiaries.

CASISA Cup (Part 1)Played:Won:Lost:Drew:Total Points:Points Average:
Barker33093
Knox33093
Cranbrook541132.6
Gregs32172.3
Kinross32172.3
Waverley32172.3
Oakhill42282
Pius31251.6
Stannies31251.6
Trinity614191.5
Auggies41361.5
Aloys51471.4
Pats513171.4

Good luck to all ISA teams this weekend. I hope you do you schools and yourselves proud.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
2023 ISA Season Predictions:

A telling pre-season from the ISA teams. I think this year's comp will be the hardest to predict in recent memory. See trial table below and thoughts:

Trial Season:Record:
AuggiesW EddiesW CranbrookW Joeys 2ndsL KnoxL WaverleyL Cranbrook3 wins, 3 losses
GregsW Joeys 3rdsW Joeys 3rdsL Riverview 2ndsW TrinityW AloysL Waverley4 wins, 2 losses
KinrossW TASW GrammarL CranbrookW TrinityW Aloys4 wins, 1 loss
OakhillL BarkerL ShoreL JoeysW WaverleyL KnoxW Trinity2 wins, 4 losses
PatsW TrinityD TrinityL CranbrookL BarkerL Kings 3rdsL Knox1 win, 4 losses, 1 draw
PiusW AloysD Scots 2ndsL TrinityL AloysW Barker 2ndsW Waverley 2nds3 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw
StanniesL ScotsW AloysW GrammarL CranbrookL Barker2 wins, 3 losses

Auggies:
For mine, Auggies will be this season's competition favourites (but not by much). Their trial form indicates that hey have enough competence in their forward pack to deliver sufficient ball to their backs who can easily win matches for them. if teams are going to do a number on them, they will have to grind them down and starve them of possession.
Prediction: Holding the cup at season's end

Gregs:
Sit up straight, do up your top bottom and listen up. Gregs are here this year! Equalling the most wins this year so far with Kinross, Gregs have shown enough ability to give EVERY team a fright. Have their trial opponents been the best on offer? Nope. Does that matter? Given Greg's recent history, I'd think not. Learning how to win is an important skill in it's own right and their form this year confirms that they are on a winning run.
Prediction: Top 3

Kinross:
Hasn;t it been great to see Kinross put some wins together this season? After the wretched run of form last year, Kinross must be really enjoying their form of late. Their big win against TAS must have really set the team for the coming weeks. It's a great thing to beat Kinross and an even greater thing to beat a STRONG Kinross outfit. Will they have what it takes to build upon the momentum they've created? Time will tell.
Prediction: Top 4

Oakhill:
If you want to be the best, then you have to play the best. Oakhill took a gamble this season by walking around the school rugby neighbourhood and picking fights with every bully they could find. I've got visions of Captain America Steve Rogers wearing a maroon and gold jumper getting belted senseless by a gang of Cerise and Blue, Blood red and Navy Blue wearing monsters yelling at them "I can do this all day!" The questions I have are these - Has this been a bigger mouthful than they can chew? Will the injury list mount up? Will their confidence be broken? I suspect not, but all teams will fancy themselves a chance now that the tenderiser was been taken to Castle Hill.
Prediction: A very vulnerable 2nd

Pats:
It would seem the trip to Japan has taken it's toll. Injuries are mounting up and Pats (limited) depth is being tested. This team has class but they need secure ball to exercise it. If they remember to be patient in attack and to have this patience match their defensive ability, they will do fine. If they start to panic, they may lose more than they will win. Ive watched them put some glorious passages of play together, only then to waste possession and have their foot taken off the accelerator.
Prediction: Heart - THEY"LL WIN EVERY GAME! Head - Top 4 will be a good result

Pius:
An up and down trial season from Chatswood, but the last two games against Barker and Waverley 2nds will do wonders for their confidence. From what Ive been told, the second game against Aloys was an opportunity gone begging so they'll be kicking themselves that they couldn't do the double. Pius are capable of anything on their day but I suspect their preseason wasn't as a rigorous a test as what they probably should have had. I'd say Auggies and Oaks will account for them easily enough, but they will be pest to every other team that takes them on. Ive said it before and I'll say it again - take Pius lightly at your own risk. You underestimate them? You pay
Prediction: 5th

Stannies:
They gave themselves a reasonable line up in the preseason and I think this is a good thing. Wins against Aloys and Grammar should signal god things to come from them. Stannies big ticket work on is winning away from Hogwarts. If they can jag a win or two over the mountains, they'll be putting pressure on the top 4 for sure. They didnt have the greatest of seasons last year and I dont know if their preseason has showed massive signs of improvement. They'll be always tough to beat but I dont see them doing anything above the top 4.
Prediction: Better than last year

JamesPapallo

Stan Wickham (3)
2023 ISA Season Predictions:

A telling pre-season from the ISA teams. I think this year's comp will be the hardest to predict in recent memory. See trial table below and thoughts:

Trial Season:Record:
AuggiesW EddiesW CranbrookW Joeys 2ndsL KnoxL WaverleyL Cranbrook3 wins, 3 losses
GregsW Joeys 3rdsW Joeys 3rdsL Riverview 2ndsW TrinityW AloysL Waverley4 wins, 2 losses
KinrossW TASW GrammarL CranbrookW TrinityW Aloys4 wins, 1 loss
OakhillL BarkerL ShoreL JoeysW WaverleyL KnoxW Trinity2 wins, 4 losses
PatsW TrinityD TrinityL CranbrookL BarkerL Kings 3rdsL Knox1 win, 4 losses, 1 draw
PiusW AloysD Scots 2ndsL TrinityL AloysW Barker 2ndsW Waverley 2nds3 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw
StanniesL ScotsW AloysW GrammarL CranbrookL Barker2 wins, 3 losses
Awesome work on that really gives good insight on all ISA teams. Just a little critique for auggies I know for sure they beat Daramalan who weren't much chop, as well as beating trinity convincingly in the previous school holidays.

Regards,

Jp

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Awesome work on that really gives good insight on all ISA teams. Just a little critique for auggies I know for sure they beat Daramalan who weren't much chop, as well as beating trinity convincingly in the previous school holidays.

Regards,

Jp
Yeah right - during the school holidays yes? I only used games that were in school time as most schools were playing on the same day but thank for the heads up. I still think they're front runners coming into ISA though. You?