• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
While my son does go to Riverview and you can criticise me for being bias i would really second guess what you guys are saying about the state schoolboy country rugby union. I was at the riverview vs stannies fixture and to say that riverview outplayed there opponents would be a complete understatement. The stannies team couldnt complete the basics. Also needed to be taken into consideration is the amount of aths boys who were unable to play for riverview. Since the new team lists have been named including the aths boys only 6 boys remained in views 2nds who only just lost to a 1ST XV TEAM!!!!!.
Dear GPStyle, This may have been a reaction to my comment about ISA keeping rugby alive in country schools. None of the regular contributors on this thread (ISA) is naive enough to say our comp is superior to GPS. It is absurd that you would even think that. My point was, imagine the state of rugby at Stannies & Kinross if the other schools in ISA are not prepared to travel or those schools themselves are not prepared to travel to Sydney ? I am just peeed off hearing the higher authorities talk about depth, poor quality of Shute Shield & 3rd tier blah blah blah. Bottomline is, kids in the country & western Sydney are not playing our game. Is that a problem for ISA, GPS or CAS or even CHS to fix ? No. Is that a problem for Campbelltown Subbies to fix ? No. Is that a problem for Farrer Agr College in Tamworth to fix ? No. So who the f-k should be fixing this ? Sorry GPStype, not having a go at you personally -- just in one of my ARU soapbox mood.

sargeant fanny

Frank Row (1)
Pius-5 St Pats- 22 in the 1sts, good game Pius 2,15[young gun], Pats 1, blue headgear[didnt catch number], 13
Pius 5- Pats 55 in the 2nds, good game Pius 1[countless tackles],8 , Pats 8,10,15
For Pats 2nds i couldnt go past the number 12 as being my standout. A strong ball runner, with great body shape and a smart footballer. All game he directed and communicated with his inside and outside men, also working relentlessly in defense. A strong player who definaetly deserves a starting spot in that first xv side.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ will this fellow be going to the ISA trials on 14 may?

GPS have some very experienced #12s and ISA will need to have all the best candidates available.

sargeant fanny

Frank Row (1)

GPS have some very experienced #12s and ISA will need to have all the best candidates available.
I'm unaware of the student himself, although i am sure he would have to be a big contender for that no.12 spot in ISA 1st XV

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Unless he was coming back from injury, I doubt he has even been nominated to trial.
I assume Pat's will not be sending all their firsts, let alone some of their 2's.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Welcome Coach Carter and Sergeant Fanny
"I'm unaware of the student himself, although i am sure he would have to be a big contender for that no.12 spot in ISA 1st XV"
and
Pity that such a talented player may miss out on a chance for rep honours.

This is a most bizarre collection of posts for a few reasons
  • was this a trial match in which the coaching may be trying different combinations and therefore grading not final?
  • How are you putting someone in a 1st XV rep team while "being unaware" of them which may follow that you are unaware of many others in this association
I know I said ISA should be congratulated on being an open circle, It doesn't follow that it is a raffle or a hippie association where everyone gets a gold star

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
St Pats certainly weren't at their best yesterday with the blow over of rain disrupting the way they play. St Pats didn't adapt to the wet conditions and continued to play an expansive style of rugby which resulted in many mistakes in the backline. St Pius seem to be a different opposition this year playing with much more intention and rugby smarts. I definetly agree with the players you have identified as having a good game. The boy with the blue headgear was playing openside flanker for St Pats was Albert Jenson who was everywhere around the park, particularly good around the breakdown and with ball in hand. The outside centre Josh Maree continues to be a force in defence, putting on numerous big hits. Loosehead for St Pats was Tim Skinner, who had a solid game and gave the Pius scrum grief for the entirety of the match.

From the games I have watched of St Pats they have a tendency to under use their forward pack and spin the ball wide, early on in a phase set. It is understandable doing this as St Pats have two SG Ball players in the backline in Ryan Harris and Jeff Markus, however St Pats didn't play to the conditions at all in the first half, allowing Pius to be right in it at 5-5 at half-time.

Next week St Pats play Sydney Grammar at Breen Oval, with the return of Josh Taweel to the backrow, which will have St Pats at full strength come ISA in two weeks.

Pius certainly shouldn't be underrated this year and I am predicting a few upsets out at Oxford Falls this year.
Lou I have to agree with you by the large. I really feel Pats are not using their forwards as much as they should. No 3 PJ (ISA 2012) was begging for the ball a couple of times and was in a good postion to do something with it. When he did finally get his hands on the ball and made a seriously big break in the second half and it lead to a try. Pats front row will be hard to beat this seaso. l I gather that the Pats half back positon is heavily contested and have seen a number of options. Not having continuity there is not helping anyone.
Pius certainly challenged Pats in the first half and I likeLou think that they will definately cause afew upsets this season.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
St Pats certainly weren't at their best yesterday with the blow over of rain disrupting the way they play. St Pats didn't adapt to the wet conditions and continued to play an expansive style of rugby which resulted in many mistakes in the backline. St Pius seem to be a different opposition this year playing with much more intention and rugby smarts. I definetly agree with the players you have identified as having a good game. The boy with the blue headgear was playing openside flanker for St Pats was Albert Jenson who was everywhere around the park, particularly good around the breakdown and with ball in hand. The outside centre Josh Maree continues to be a force in defence, putting on numerous big hits. Loosehead for St Pats was Tim Skinner, who had a solid game and gave the Pius scrum grief for the entirety of the match.

From the games I have watched of St Pats they have a tendency to under use their forward pack and spin the ball wide, early on in a phase set. It is understandable doing this as St Pats have two SG Ball players in the backline in Ryan Harris and Jeff Markus, however St Pats didn't play to the conditions at all in the first half, allowing Pius to be right in it at 5-5 at half-time.

Next week St Pats play Sydney Grammar at Breen Oval, with the return of Josh Taweel to the backrow, which will have St Pats at full strength come ISA in two weeks.

Pius certainly shouldn't be underrated this year and I am predicting a few upsets out at Oxford Falls this year.

Sorry for long quote but - If St Pats play Sydney Grammar next week, (given the lamentable state of Rugby at Grammar), is it 1st XV versus 1st XV?... also, as they have almost identical strips, what is normally the procedure there... just curious.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Adding to the previous discussion about who was in and who was "out" of the ISA.
This is from http://isa.nsw.edu.au/ISA-memberschools.html

Full Member Schools
Blue Mountains Grammar School
Central Coast Grammar School
Chevalier College
Oakhill College
Oxley College
Redlands
St Andrew’s Cathedral School
St Patrick’s College
St Paul’s Grammar School
St Pius X College
St Spyridon College
St Stanislaus’ College

Associate Member Schools
All Saints College (Bathurst)
Barker College (Not for Rugby - must be for Girls sport only)
Kinross Wolaroi School (Orange)
Redfield College
St Augustine’s College
St Gregory's College
Snowy Mountains Grammar School
The Scots School Bathurst

Rugby breakdown into divisions is from posts on this thread.
Rugby Div 1 (one round, first past the post, Round 1: 24 May)
Oakhill College
St Patrick’s College
St Pius X College
St Stanislaus’ College
Kinross Wolaroi School
St Augustine’s College
St Gregory's College
The Bye

Rugby Div 2 (2 rounds plus finals, Round 1: 5 May)
Chevalier College
Redlands
Redfield College

Rugby Div 3 (speculation)
Oxley College
The Scots School Bathurst ?
Snowy Mountains Grammar School?
St Paul’s Grammar School ?
Oakhill 3rd XV
St Augustine’s College 3rd XV
St Patrick’s College 3rd XV

Edit: Thanks to Tom Ando corrections.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Adding to the previous discussion about who was in and who was "out" of the ISA.
This is from http://isa.nsw.edu.au/ISA-memberschools.html

Full Member Schools
Chevalier College
Oakhill College
Oxley College
Redlands
St Patrick’s College
St Paul’s Grammar School
St Pius X College
St Spyridon College
St Stanislaus’ College

Associate Member Schools
Barker College (Not for Rugby - must be for Girls sport only)
Kinross Wolaroi School (Orange)
Redfield College
St Augustine’s College
St Gregory's College
Snowy Mountains Grammar School
The Scots School Bathurst

Rugby breakdown into divisions is from posts on this thread.
Rugby Div 1 (one round, first past the post, Round 1: 24 May)
Oakhill College
St Patrick’s College
St Pius X College
St Stanislaus’ College
Kinross Wolaroi School
St Augustine’s College
St Gregory's College
The Bye

Rugby Div 2 (2 rounds plus finals, Round 1: 5 May)
Chevalier College
Redlands

Rugby Div 3 (speculation)
Oxley College
The Scots School Bathurst ?
Snowy Mountains Grammar School?
St Paul’s Grammar School ?
Oakhill 3rd XV
St Augustine’s College 3rd XV
St Patrick’s College 3rd XV

Blue Mountains is not in Div 2 anymore, so I am assuming they are Div 3? And Redfield are in Div 2 :) Other results from Round 2 are Redfield 27 def St Andrews 21. Anyone know the result between Redlands and All Saints?

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry for long quote but - If St Pats play Sydney Grammar next week, (given the lamentable state of Rugby at Grammar), is it 1st XV versus 1st XV?. also, as they have almost identical strips, what is normally the procedure there. just curious.

St Pats 1st xv will play against Grammar 1sts and assumably other grades will precede accordingly. In previous years the away team is to wear an alternate yellow jersey, given St Pats is at home Grammar will be in gold.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
With the ISA trials tomorrow does anyone have any predictions regarding players away from Augustine's. Form would suggest that Augustine's will likely and deservedly have a high share of players particularly around the ISA 1's.

Does anyone have any opinions regarding the composition of the ISA squads, from div 1,2 or 3

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
I know Oakhill will be sending 5 or 6 to the ISA trials today, 3 of which played ISA16's two years back. Good luck to all the lads trialling today.

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
I know Oakhill will be sending 5 or 6 to the ISA trials today, 3 of which played ISA16's two years back. Good luck to all the lads trialling today.
Just arrived at Oxford Falls for the 3rd consecutive year. With Rugby Tragic good luck to ALL the boys trialling in opens and u/16's, lets hope its a successful injury free day.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Wasn't there, but my mail was that it appeared that Schools sent reduced numbers this year.
Only needed 2 trials then poss v prob, and all over by lunch.
A few highly rated players not in attendance, so interesting to see if they are given the magic run through.
Think they name the squads this week sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.