• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No more Scots?
Is that as a result of the 50 point drubbing last year,or due to tensions about Scots poaching Aug's talented athletes?
I hear that the Scot's Northern Beaches bus is pretty full of freebies these days.

Not sure of the reason. Last year was the first time that Augustines and Scots played in a trial, they played Joeys for a few years and now Riverview this year. They've played Waverley for quite a few years and went to Canberra last year to play Eddies. I'm not sure how these things are arranged, the way that different competitions are structured, I don't think that anyone can afford to be too fussy about trial matches or you might miss out altogether.

(There are 2 buses which leave northern beaches each day for Scots)

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I hear, about half of last year's

1sts and 2nds are back, plus some rep players from their 16As last year. They never seem to lose a whole side, which is a reflection of their strength throughout the age groups.

The usual starting xv include
8 Hanigan yr 11
10 Arnold yr 11
12 Donlan yr 11
13 Ibbotson yr 11
14 taylor yr 11
15 cochrane yr 11
2 Cooke yr 11
6 Walker yr 10
Natoli will be replaced by taefutu yr 11 who played 10 the last month whilst Cochcrane was out. 11 will be McDonald who also played most of the year.
Year 10 boys who have been blooded in the last month or so include backrowers Lough & George ???, And Kaplan who filled in at 12, also an islander boy who filled in at 13 quite a few times
From I like to watch,

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The introduction of ISA Div 3 seems to be a good concept, and may assist to grow Heavensgame in the Div 3 schools.

No kid likes to play sport where they know that they will be belted by 60 points.

I'd like to see some of the AICES Schools become associate members of ISA Div 3.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The introduction of ISA Div 3 seems to be a good concept, and may assist to grow Heavensgame in the Div 3 schools.

No kid likes to play sport where they know that they will be belted by 60 points.

I'd like to see some of the AICES Schools become associate members of ISA Div 3.

Kinross, Scots Bathurst and All Saints are AICES schools already in ISA competitions. The great thing about ISA is they are happy to grow their competitions by bringing new schools in (in stark contrast to GPS and CAS). The only restriction that they have is that if you play in an ISA competition, your students must represent ISA in that sport.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
If anyone didn't know the new ISA structure for this year, Div 1 comprises of Oakhill, Auggies, St Pat's, Stannies, Kinross, St Pius and St Greg's. For Div 2, St Andrew's have dropped down to join Redfield, All Saints, Chev, Redlands and Central Coast on a Home and Away basis. The newly formed Div 3 includes Scots, Blue Mountains, Oxley who have all just recently dropped from Div 2, who are to play the C Grade teams from Div 1 as I understand. As for trials this year, who knows who is playing who (for all three divisions) ?
Thanks for the update, Tom. The news of C grade from the larger schools playing in the new Div 3 is great. It is always a struggle to find matches for Cs & Ds in the bigger schools, and this approach also gives Div 3 a meaningful comp. In years to come we may see Div 3 schools having more than one team per age group so they play the Ds as well. I am happy to see this, however the issue with the A grades and 2nd XV in Div 1 is getting worse. It is difficult to explain to parents why they pay rego for little Johnny to be in the 16As but only play 4 or 5 meaningful comp games. The problem is getting worse because GPS & CAS are now fully booked courtesy of their double rounds. In the past the A grades would have had another 4 or 5 pre-season matches against A grades from CAS & GPS. I don't know which schools has compulsory sport but some will start to lose top end players to club rugby and League. Having said all that, it is wonderful that ISA is doing something to make sure rugby stays alive in those country schools. Doing a hell lot more than the ARU !

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)

You are right about AICES schools, Hugh. Take Northolm Grammar as an example, if given the opportunity to have a regular season they would be able to field a team in every age group. And they do this without having to find grounds, coaches, recruitment drive etc etc that every start up club struggles so much with. And suddenly there is a village club with 5 teams !

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
i hope my school ( pats ) can verse some Div 3 teams.
Ive played Scots Bathurst before, i was in a F grade team, now in 16c's and hoping to come up against some big country boys is always fun.

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
So can we see some guessed team lineups?

Dont know about Pats lineup, but can say this: we will never win. ever. But...

9. Ryan Harris - Devastating runner and great passer.
11 or 12. Jeffery Markus - Played ISA U16s
Possiblility of some U16's to opens - Nathan Taweel (NSWCIS and SJRU rep who won State)
- Brandon Boumelhem

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
From what i read of last years programs Ryan Harris isn't a scrumhalf more likely a centre or fly half, and Jeffery Markus sure isn't a winger.

however it will be interesting to see how st pats perform this year. Does anyone know their trial fixtures???

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
my
From what i read of last years programs Ryan Harris isn't a scrumhalf more likely a centre or fly half, and Jeffery Markus sure isn't a winger.

however it will be interesting to see how st pats perform this year. Does anyone know their trial fixtures???

my bad - wrong numbers.

pretty sure Away to trinity 11 May
Home to Grammar 18 May
suprised no Pius Trial , or Riverview.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great to see you doing your bit for rugby development Working Class Rugger.

IIRC your little bro will in the U13's as well.

It will be a bit of a tough gig for both of you. You have to be extra hard on him to prove that there is no favouritism, and the bro will cop it from his mates for having the inside running with Coach.

Said it before. A strong St Gregs across all grades will be good for ISA rugby. It starts with the 13's and runs all the way to the 1sts, kids having fun playing and learning rugby skills and culture.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Yeah, it is good to read about the 7s Competition. A overall smart move by ISA. Would be good if they looked to expand on the in the future to perhaps three or 4 events in time.

Given Gregs exciting 7s results last year how is their prep going this year for the ISA 7s in May

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St Gregs are not playing in the upcoming Schoolboy 7's tournament at Scots.

Not sure what the criteria to participate in this tournament is, but St Stannies will be playing as NSW Country representative according to the web site.

I guess that they will be the defacto ISA representative as well.

Draw is available here: http://www.schoolboyrugbysevens.com.au/news.html
1st game is 09:00 on 30 March
Cup Final is scheduled to kick off at 16:50 on 30 March.

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dont know about Pats lineup, but can say this: we will never win. ever. But.

9. Ryan Harris - Devastating runner and great passer.
11 or 12. Jeffery Markus - Played ISA U16s
Possiblility of some U16's to opens - Nathan Taweel (NSWCIS and SJRU rep who won State)
- Brandon Boumelhem

Sorry but nathan taweel played neither nswcis or sjru?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Chevalier-34 Defeated St Pius- 22 today at Chev
Hey Ando, what is the vibe in Div 2 1st XV this year ? I guess Andrews, Redfield, your mob at Chev and All Saints are all in with a chance ? Saw some pretty decent footy from Div 2 schools last year during the semis at Oakhill.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Hey Ando, what is the vibe in Div 2 1st XV this year ? I guess Andrews, Redfield, your mob at Chev and All Saints are all in with a chance ? Saw some pretty decent footy from Div 2 schools last year during the semis at Oakhill.

Hey RT. I assume we all know its going to be a tough year now that there aren't any real weak teams in the comp but the upside is that if we lose one game, we have another 9 games we can contest and come back without worrying about struggling to get to the semis if there is a chance there is a washout, or if we lose 2 games we are goners. CCGS are also a tough team who have the ability to win games. Yes they didn't make the semis last year and we beat them comfortably; but every year is a new comp with a new batch of players. For Chev in particular we have a lot of young guys coming through so yeah I think the vibe is that it is going to be a tough year especially with Andrews moving down.

Status
Not open for further replies.