• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
I saw the second game.
Speaking of laws: You and your "co coach" are not permitted on the field of play during play - let alone for the purposes of coaching.
You know very well, because one of you yelled out an instruction to get your loose head to bind, that the scrum penalties were for not binding and that grammar were penalised for the same thing.
You omit the fact that one of your boys was carded - you don't complain about that so I assume you accept it was justified.
You set an appalling example to your players by bagging the ref loudly and in front of the reserves. I was sitting behind the dead ball line and you were on halfway and I was able to hear what you or your co coach (because i dont know which was which) said so there is simply no doubt they heard it.
You should be ashamed of yourselves. This is u13 schoolboy rugby: do that in club land and you would be fronting the SJRU on my report.
The grammar father you mention is no better.
Posting this attack on the ref on here is probably the worst effort of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. Why is this the appropriate forum to bag out referees in a un under 13 s trials match??

Probably of more interest to most is how Did St Greg's First XV fair agianst Grammar, no offense to the boys in the 13's. I would assume a win for the Greg's boys.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I saw a good part of the u/13 curtain raiser to the PiusX and St Augustines 1st XV
I think PiusX organisers would be very proud of their 13s team and may have been showing them off, as when I left they were well on top and probably on their way to the best result for the host school on the day

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mate, if you hadn't noticed we spoke to the boy that was carded and we explained the issue to him. He was sent for repeated infringements around the ruck most notably for not rolling away and offside. It was actually the kids first game coming from League and his knowledge needs a lot of work. None of it was for dirty play as you make it sound from your post.

It is under 13s schoolboy rugby. Most of our kids are still learning so yes, we are going to issue instructions to assist them. It's nothing new. I played reps for Randwick and in their colts and we would have runners and coaches issuing instructions regularly from the sideline.

I've made a lot of allowances for refs so far this season. Most are younger kids with little experience. As long as its not dangerous I've been happy to let the game flow. If you had seen the first game you'd have noticed that. However, in the first game he was very consistent in his adjudication of the play. The second ref however, was much more experienced and inconsistent. Grammar were regularly on our side of the ruck laying all over it and were never pinged. They rarely threw in a straight lineout but got away with it. A ref is supposed to set the ten at that age, he never did. About the only thing I agreed with him was on the scrum. On the card, at that age you are supposed to play like for like which means we are supposed to be allowed to which him for another player but we weren't allowed.

You may say its about enjoyment. You're right. But our kids have just as much right to enjoy it as anyone else. The perpetuation of the same attitude of when I first played for the school isn't fair on my kids and you know what. I'm trying to win kids over to Rugby. I devote a lot of time to these kids. Run extra training sessions. Work on the basics and make it as fun as possible and I'm succeeding but having those who are meant to run the game on the field ping them for every and anything doesn't help.

We won because we were the better team. But we were not doing anything different than Grammar did except we were afforded a much shorter leash which frankly is unfair if you're going to set a standard early on you have to not only maintain it but also ensure that it applies to both teams.

Additionally, the co-coach who was going on to the field is fairly well versed in what we are and are not allowed to do in trial games and such, it was a trial game not competition so we were working on issues as the game proceeded. He only went on twice. It had no impact on the game and the ref had no issues with it.

We weren't abusive to any player nor spectator or the ref for that manner.

I'm going to continue issuing instructions and standing up for my kids if I believe they aren't getting an equal rub from the ref. I make no apologies for that.
You don't get it. Attempting to justify your abuse in this forum proves that.
If your yelling was not an attempt to get the ref to see things your way (I.e. intimidating) then it was irrational.
If "standing up for your kids" includes telling them the ref is hopeless or, worse perhaps, telling the ref he is hopeless so that someone 50m away can hear you then you need to take a Bex, lie down and consider your future.
You or your partner were warned during the game by the ref for your conduct. Whichever of you that was held his hand up in acknowledgment.
I'm not sure what your playing or coaching experience has got to do with this issue. If you care to tell me we can pursue the difference in our respective experience - given you have a kid brother in the 13's and my kid brother is 50 its pretty obvious who's been around longer.
Greg's were far and away the better team. Most of the boys from Grammar have never played the game prior to this season.
There is no competition,certainly, in GPS, in u13s. Cant imagine ISA do either.
You might want to consider that entering the field of play other than to deal with an injury is itself potentially intimidating - perhaps even to the other team as well as the ref: particularly for kids who have not played the game and whose parents dont take much persuading to think it is barbarous.
You must be aware that were it not for the very limited space on the eastern touchline, and/or if the SJRU rules applied, you would be required to be either, behind a rope or in the technical box and that encroachment could result in a number of sanctions.
You should give it a rest.
sit/stand behind the dead ball line: you get much less emotionally involved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Couldn't agree more. Why is this the appropriate forum to bag out referees in a un under 13 s trials match??

Probably of more interest to most is how Did St Greg's First XV fair agianst Grammar, no offense to the boys in the 13's. I would assume a win for the Greg's boys.
Only saw the last 10 or so - turned up to pick up #1 son with the score 24-15 in favour of St Gregs: that's Ok thinks I.
Full time: about 49-15.
A couple of good running centres for Greg's caught my eye.
Grammar need to shelve the hero hits (see, eg, Mitch Inman or S Timani) and just concentrate on solid and effective shoulder contact in the tackle.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
On a different and probably more interesting note to the 'debacle' at the u/13's grammar Greg's game, Newington defeated Kinross 48 points to 5 in the First XV.

I am unsure of the score but Newington seconds beat Stannies as well.

Fingers crossed that rule 9 that Hugh Jarse has referred means a cessation of banter regarding the topic.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Div 1 Round 1
St Pius X vs St Auggies 14 - 40
St Pats v Oakhill 5 - 15
Kinross v St Stannies 22 -19 (played previously)
St Gregs v The Bye (St Gregs trial v Grammar 49 - 15 (approx))
St Gregs 13B v Grammar 44-12, 13A's 58-5.
Kinross v NEW I's (Trial -> 5 - 48)
Stannies v New II's (Trial -> NEW victory)

Div 2 Round 4
All Saints v Chevalier 3 - 52
SACS v CCGS 40 - 10
Redfield v Redlands (tipping Redfield) ?

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whats with all the talk about the 13's? As far as I'm concerned it is easily the most irrelevant year as one player can simply dominate an entire competition. It is blatantly clear, having watched Pius play in all of their age groups, that the reason why they do this 'curtain raiser' is because they have 3 or 4 kids who are dominating purely because they have hit puberty 2 years earlier than every other player in the competition.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone willing to put an ISA 1 and 2 team list together:
ISA 1:

ISA II

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've always found that when trying to get inside the selector's mind, you start by pencilling in last seasons returning veterans. They will generally move up from II's to the I's, or stay in the I's. The newbies then need to outplay the "incumbents" to "pinch" their spots.

To the best of my knowledge here is the list of the boys that were in the 38 last year (posted on ISA 2012 thread) who have been listed in the 38 this year. I do not know what positions most of these players are, and have included a couple based on banter on these threads. I'm probably wrong.

ISA Opens Rugby Squad 2012
St. Augustine's College
Max Cook - Hooker
Johnny Walker - Flanker
Charlie Taylor - Wing
Hayden Cochrane - Fullback
Grant McDonald - Wing
Adam Hanigan - Lock

Kinross Wolaroi School
Billy Freeman

Oakhill College
Ben Cotton - Full back

St. Gregory's College
Arthur Currie - No 8

St. Patrick's College
Phillip Angeliozzo - Prop

Edit: Positions added to some.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Taking the 2012 returning Veterans from the squad of 38 leaves these boys (positions where known):

St. Augustine's College
A Tukipilli - Prop
J Lough - Loose Forward
J Taefotu - #9
J Ibbotson - Centre
S Halaifonua
M Arnold - #10
J Parker
B Fontaine
B Hollis - Hooker
M Osborn
J Kaplan - #10/#12.

St Gregorys
A Massima
C Kagliassis
D Green
J Faavae-Eli

St Patricks
M Edwards - Hooker
J Taweel - Loose Forward
J Marcus - #10

St Andrews
D Moore - Loose Forward
E Adcock - 2nd Row

Kinross Woloroi
N Yeomans - Centre

St Stanislaus'
J Melville
C Burke

Oakhill
J Partridge - THP
J Anderson - 2nd Row
M Brinnand - #9

Central Coast Grammar
M Hundt - #9

Chevalier
P Byrne - Prop

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I've always found that when trying to get inside the selector's mind, you start by pencilling in last seasons returning veterans. They will generally move up from II's to the I's, or stay in the I's. The newbies then need to outplay the "incumbents" to "pinch" their spots.

To the best of my knowledge here is the list of the boys that were in the 38 last year (posted on ISA 2012 thread) who have been listed in the 38 this year. I do not know what positions most of these players are, and have included a couple based on banter on these threads. I'm probably wrong.

ISA Opens Rugby Squad 2012
St. Augustine's College
Max Cook - Hooker
Johnny Walker - Flanker
Charlie Taylor - Wing
Hayden Cochrane Fullback
Grant McDonald Wing
Adam Hanigan Lock

Kinross Wolaroi School
Billy Freeman

Oakhill College
Ben Cotton - Full back

St. Gregory's College
Arthur Currie

St. Patrick's College
Phillip Angeliozzo
You have 2 full backs and 2 wingers.
One of them has to be dropped or moved.
Which will be interesting as my mole tells me 2 of them didn't trial.
And the 2 that did, were clearly the best on show in their respective positions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Report on Kinross v Stannies (round 1)
Excerpts from an article produced by Nick McGrath for Central West Daily on May 15 Issue.

Leading 19-0 before a late comeback from the visitors, Kinross’ First XV secured just its seventh John O’Neill Shield in 57 years with a 22-19 victory over Independent Sports Association rivals Stannies in Orange.

Kinross’ backline is tipped to give plenty of ISA sides a few headaches this season as the Orange-based outfit looks to challenge the highly fancied St Augustines and 2012 champions Oakhill College throughout this season.

Tony Pellow at halfback and skipper Tom Bristow at five-eighth make up the team’s pivots while Ned Yeomans and Arthur Hancock are a strong centre pairing.

Louis Kostoglou is the side’s fullback while Nick Lukins and year 11 student Bailey Hilder make up the rest of the back three.

[Coach] Barrett said experience and speed were two of his side’s greatest assets.

“I think we’ve got an exciting backline this year. That’s definitely one of our strengths,” he said, while six members of the Kinross First XV from 2012 are backing up again for this winter’s campaign.

Kinross dominated the day’s open fixtures with the Fourth XV winning 27-12, thirds losing a close tussle before Kinross’ Second XV scored a historic and record-breaking 45-7 victory.

Source: http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/1500902/kinross-in-seventh-heaven/

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Taking the 2012 returning Veterans from the squad of 38 leaves these boys (positions where known):

St. Augustine's College
A Tukipilli - Prop
J Lough - Loose Forward
J Taefotu - #9
J Ibbotson - Centre
S Halaifonua
M Arnold - #10
J Parker
B Fontaine
B Hollis - Hooker
M Osborn
J Kaplan - #10/#12.

St Gregorys
A Massima
C Kagliassis
D Green
J Faavae-Eli

St Patricks
M Edwards - Hooker
J Taweel - Loose Forward
J Marcus - #10

St Andrews
D Moore - Loose Forward
E Adcock - 2nd Row

Kinross Woloroi
N Yeomans - Centre

St Stanislaus'
J Melville
C Burke

Oakhill
J Partridge - THP
J Anderson - 2nd Row
M Brinnand - #9

Central Coast Grammar
M Hundt - #9

Chevalier
P Byrne - Prop

Matt Edwards from St Pats also played last year in ISA. According to the St Pats newsletter he is in ISA 1 and Jeff Markus, Josh Taweel and Pj Agliozzo are in the 2's

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Isaiah Dawe, isn't he the kid of Sudanese extraction. Will be very interested to see how he goes next weekend up at the College.

I got the ISA2012 team list from this post. The actual list I used is attached to WCR's post but for some reason clicking on the arrow thingy doesn't work. Perhaps the OP quoted by WCR has been deleted.

Loucentre
- Taweel is normally a #7. Has he done any #8 or #6 work?
- There are two hookers returning to ISA reps this year then. Do you know if Edwards was ISA I, ISA II and bench hooker last year.

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
An Oakhill vs Pats. Because of the quality of the Pats grounds, many games were played at Oakhill and in my game, first try was a knock on (Oakhill ref called it a try) and then both teams scored 1 and Pats then scored an equaliser and was called a , yes wait for it, "DOUBLE MOVEMENT". I would also like to make a complaint about the amount of langauge from an Oakhill parent as i was trying to play Wing and couldnt concentrate due to the various amounts of , shall we say, 'language' this parent was using.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
I got the ISA2012 team list from this post. The actual list I used is attached to WCR's post but for some reason clicking on the arrow thingy doesn't work. Perhaps the OP quoted by WCR has been deleted.

Loucentre
- Taweel is normally a #7. Has he done any #8 or #6 work?
- There are two hookers returning to ISA reps this year then. Do you know if Edwards was ISA I, ISA II and bench hooker last year.

Taweel generally plays #7. His skill set is definitely suited to #7 but I am sure he could play elsewhere in the backrow.

Last year Cook was hooker for ISA 1's and Edwards and Stu Takau (SACS 2012) shared the position for 2's, both starting one match respectively. As I said, Edwards has been listed as ISA 1's, ahead of Max Cook (assumedly as the whole team wasn't published, just the St Pat's players). I feel Edwards is probably better in the ruck and set piece than Cook but Cook has a flair and attacking edge Edwards doesn't and most hookers don't have. Out of interest, did B Hollis from Auggies trial for hooker at ISA as I don't recall him been present.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems a little unusual to have last years ISA II hooker in this years ISA I squad ahead of last years ISA I hooker. Stranger things have happened in the past.

With Currie seeming to lock in ISA I no 8 and Walker probably #6 (as he was in Schools U16's), it seems a little unusual to have Taweel at #7 for the ISA II's, hence my question if he can do 6 or 8. They may be looking to place him at #8 or #6 for the II's because there are not all that many loose forward names that I am aware of in the squad. I'd imagine that the Yr 11 loosies will be seen as being more suited to the II's than I's, although I am aware that some of them are in the NGS.

Hard to work out exactly what the selectors are thinking with about 10 of the boys "positionless" ATM. The list seems a little short on 2nd rowers, #8's, probably 1 more prop, centres and wings, assuming the breakdown is roughly as above.

Preferred positions for these lads?
St. Augustine's College
S Halaifonua
J Parker
B Fontaine
M Osborn

St Gregorys
A Massima
C Kagliassis
D Green
J Faavae-Eli

St Stanislaus'
J Melville
C Burke

Until these are known, it is a lottery trying to tip a I's and II's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.