• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Island talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Pacific solution for Kiwi 'bullies'
February 12, 2009

DENIS O'BRIEN loves rugby and hates bullies, which might explain why he has decided to take on the New Zealand Rugby Union by throwing his lot in with Samoa.

The Irish billionaire, who made his fortune flogging mobile phones, does business in the island nation through Digicel and sponsors the Samoan Rugby Union, which may well be a wise investment given that its chairman, Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, is also the nation's prime minister.

Tuilaepa has long campaigned against the Kiwis' unquenchable appetite for Samoa's best rugby players, and now has an ally with deep pockets. "I hate bullies, and New Zealand bullies the islands," O'Brien told London's Daily Telegraph.

Digicel became the SRU's principal sponsor in the middle of last year and has since upgraded its support by establishing a development fund to pay 40 elite players, from the age of 16, in an attempt to keep them playing rugby in Samoa.

Andrew Stevenson

It is about time someone did something. I am all for keeping the talent in the Islands to develop and grow instead of taking the 'overseas' option.
For far too long NZ and Australia to a very lesser extent have plundered the talent of Fiji, Samoa and Tonga for their own use. While I don't condem a player migrating for personal reasons far too many a rugby talent has been recruited by NZR for their own use to the severe detriment of Island rugby.
That is why I am all for the inclusion of an island team in the S14.

F

formeropenside

A combined PI team would have been better for world rugby than a 4th Aust team. And a S15 with Japan, PI and Argentina would be excellent. We'd have to lose one existing team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.