• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ismauel Dollie to Brumbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is quite a surprise. Ismauel Dollie represent SA U21s a few years back and also one initially in Snors squad now look like joining Rattlebones at the Brumbies. Dollie have quite a boot on him but 10s a plenty in Stormers territory he also struggle to get a place in Bolands CC side, Elgar Watts a x Matie plays 10 for them while the other talented youngster Ricardo Croy joined SWD. WeePee & Stormers currently have Peter Grant and Willem de Waal for the 10 spot and the other exciting 10 from this valleys Francis playing for the Bulls.
IOL
Dollie to go on trial with the Brumbies

December 08 2008 at 07:31AM

Related Articles
Dollie of the bench
Dollie out to prove Province wrong
Dollie will get 'fair chance' at the Stormers

By Ashfak Mohamed

Former Western Province and Boland flyhalf Isma-eel Dollie will go on trial with Australian Super 14 side the Brumbies in Canberra later this week.

Dollie's father, Ganief, told the Cape Times that his son had approached the Brumbies and that they had invited him for a trial. Dollie is currently out of contract after his WP contract ended on October 31 this year.

Ganief Dollie said he was sad to see his son having to go outside South Africa. "Firstly, I just want to say that Isma-eel has not signed with the Brumbies. He is just going to Canberra on a trial basis," he said.

"He was actually forced to go there because no-one offered him a Super 14 contract in South Africa. He has been playing Vodacom Cup and Currie Cup rugby for the past two seasons, but he has not been given a chance to prove himself in the Super 14. He really wants to play at that level, and this trial with the Brumbies gives him a chance to hopefully fulfil that dream."

Ganief Dollie says Isma-eel, the former SA Under-21 flyhalf under current Bok coach Peter de Villiers in 2006, would ideally have liked to stay in South Africa. "Isma-eel left with a heavy heart," he said. "You know, he is also still on Peter's radar, so that made it even more difficult for him. But he has tried his best here.

"He is 23 now and wants to play top-level rugby. He also needs to earn a proper living. He has also sent his CV to many teams in France, England, Australia and New Zealand, so we are also awaiting answers from them."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good luck to the lad. He sounds like he is not afraid to back himself. Wherever he ends up I wish him well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty a same that Rassie brought Willem de Waal back but them Genl de Waal has a proved record in winning CCs and have long player coach relation with Rassie.

Dollie a bit on the small side but a very good talent with a good boot on him.

Now the next loss for the Stormers will be in the 9 position. Three youngsters in breathing space of Janaurie and already past Bolla & Delport. The Paarl trio of Duvenhage/Hoffman & Hugo. They already lost Hougaard to the Bulls & Siegelaar to the Lions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
Isn't he a really small bloke?
Profiles
Isma-eel Dollie
Playing Postiiton: Flyhalf

Current Province: Southern Spiers, Western Province
Club: UCT
Oskw( Oasis Schotshkloof walmers)

Honours:
WP U/18 2002
Western Coastal Region U/18 Craven Week 2002
SA U/19 Training Squad 2002
SA U/19 IRB FIRA-AER World Championship 2003
SA U19 2004
WP ABSA U20 A 2004/5
WP Vodacom Cup 2005
WP U21 2005
Southern Spiers 2006
SA U21 2006
2007 - Currie Cup Boland
2008 - Vodacom Cup Western Province
2008 - Springbok Training Squad
2008 - SA Emerging to IRB Nations Cup in Romania
WP Absa Currie Cup 2008

Personal Details
Full Name Isma-eel
Surname Dollie
Height 174cm
Weight 82kg

Birth Date 6 March 1985
Birth City Cape Town
Marital Status Single
Favourite Film Braveheart
Favourite Music R&B
Favourite Food Chicken pasta
Primary School St Pauls Primary School
Secondary School SACS High School
Tertiary Education UCT

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like Dollie will have to work hard to get there
R365
Discarded Springbok training squad member Isma-eel Dollie?s dash to Australia did not end in a glamorous Super 14 contract with the Brumbies, as he had hoped, but the flyhalf has been offered an opportunity to ?prove himself? in Canberra.

Rugby 365?s Jan De Koning reports that Dollie has been offered a Tier Three Brumbies Academy opportunity for 2009.

Nick Smith, the Media and Communications Coordinator at the Brumbies, confirmed that Dollie was offered a chance to train with the Australian franchise on its lowest rung.

?He met with Brumbies Academy coach Darren Coleman on Wednesday and joined in for his first Academy training session that evening,? Smith told rugby365.com on Friday.

The Tier Three Academy deal means there is no wages, no payments for expenses and no contract binding the franchise to Dollie.

The 23-year-old, who went to Brisbane after failing to get a Super 14 contract in South Africa, must also secure a work visa when his current business visa expires in late February, and then he?ll need to find a job to meet his living costs.

It is far from the glamorous Super 14 contract he had sought, as he will be playing club rugby - for the University-Norths - in Canberra next year.

Dollie, a surprise inclusion in Springbok coach Peter de Villiers? expanded training squad early this year, approached the Brumbies after failing to get a contract in South Africa.

Out of contract after his WP contract ended in October, he has been unable to break into Super Rugby - despite being highly rated by the Bok coach, for whom he played at age-group level in 2006.

He spent most of the last few years playing Vodacom Cup (second tier provincial rugby) and club rugby, while he was also a member of the Boland Cavaliers Currie Cup squad - without getting too much game time.

Dollie, who had sent his CV to ?many teams? in France, England, Australia and New Zealand, has now opted for a low key club game in Canberra as he tries to resurrect a career that once showed tremendous promise.

Coleman said the franchise admired the determination of Dollie.

?It was spelled out to him not only where he?d be starting, but what was in front of him in terms of other players and their age and obviously even the newspaper talk of [Matt] Giteau maybe being around in the future,? Coleman told the Canberra times.

?That didn?t dampen his enthusiasm. He?s here to work and he wants an opportunity and you can?t begrudge him that.?
Dollie on the small side compare like this to the Bumboys.

Full Name Isma-eel Dollie
Height 174cm
Weight 82kg
Date of Birth 6 March 1985

Full Name Matt To'omua
Height 1.82m
Weight 89kg
Date of Birth 2 Jan 1990

Full Name Christian Lealiifano
Height 1.80m
Weight 92kg
Date of Birth 24 Sep 1987

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Any Oz team could offer a lad like that a 3rd tier amateur Academy contract because it doesn't cost them anything more than his training gear and a few rats and mice. If Dollie stayed at the Brumbies he would be in the mix with some players who left school a few weeks ago. Having one more would be no skin off their back.

Every Academy here has about 10-12 professional 2nd tier Academy members who train with the 33 1st tier players who have S14 contracts. If one of the 33 gets injured the 2nd tier guys could be on the bench in the S14 the following week and if they get to play in 3 or more games they are bumped up to the 1st tier.

I could understand Dollie coming all that way for a 2nd tier contract, but to be in the 3rd tier at his age and having already played in semi-pro rugby, is a bit of a let down.

I'd be surprised if he stayed on as an amateur, but you never know. If both Lealiifano and To'omua get crocked the Brumbies will probably put Fairbanks in, if he is healthy these days, but they'll be looking through their roster to see who else they have.

Dollie may take a punt on that. If he does stay and that doesn't happen, at least he will get exposure to a different training regime from what he is used to and that will be interesting for him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He may be a talent but another young flyhalf aint exactly what we are after.

If he had a younger brother who got all the size in the family and played prop? Then possibly a package deal could be arranged. But on his own???

NB: I have no idea who this lad is (other than what has been printed) & have never seen him play.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't know him either but I do remember that PdV brought a few no-name players into the Bok training squad before the winter tests with an eye to giving them exposure and also having a closer look at them. Dollie must have been one of them.

Good luck to him - he's backing himself - but after shaking the tea leaves of his CV, he looks like a wannabe.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
With a first name like that he should be called "Buya" - as in Buy a Vowel - "O" is the only one he doesn't have!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself have saw him played a few games. Well if he is prepared to start at the bottom , he sure will be a motivated one. My dad use to say" Crawl, before you walk, before you run." the best possible way to get to the top. If he is prepared to do that , good luck, is all I can wish him. Maybe that was the problbem with brat RattleBones, start at the top and to much spoon feeding, those usually end up spoiled brats and wasted.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think Rattlebones's problem might have been too many roids too young.

My lawyer Mr Thomond will field any further enquiries on the matter.

S

Spook

He's just injured too much. When he's in form, he's a top finisher.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agreed - and he seemed to be passing the ball more in the Sydney club comp this year. Will be interested to see if he lost any speed in the S14. I find it hard to judge at that level - and in 7s for that matter, as most of the the guys in 7s are pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.