• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Italy vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tank

I agree with the calls for KB (Kurtley Beale) to stay at FB. He seems very much to be a confidence player and let's say we move him to 10 and it goes a bit pear shaped - confidence takes a beating then he moves back to FB for France and the confidence now a bit shaky means it goes a bit pear shaped again and confidence takes another hit. Sure that could happen at 15 but at least he knows now what is required as the Wallaby 15.

Anyway, I think the changes in the backs are in some respects inconsequential if the forwards don't man up. Chis is rubbish for his size. I think Sharpe and Pocock should be rested against Italy. Give Van a go - he is old school tough so the manning up will not really be an issue for him. Hodgson deserves some sort of a decent chance being dudded many times before - yes, a risk giving DP a breather but I think is worthwhile. Let's give the frontrow another chance to find some form as a unit - Slipper is great on the bench but perhaps more time - a half time change.

So, I would like to see for Italy (as a risk, yes)

Beale, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Hynes, Cooper, Burgess, Higginbotham, Elsom, Hodgson, Van, Mumm, Alexander, Moore, Robinson. Res: Slipper TPN Simmons Pocock Giteau Mitchell.

Then for the French, if Cooper is rubbish again, drop him for Barnes at 10. Will be more meaningful if he is dropped for France than Italy.

Do we know if O'Connor will be rejoining the team?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Quade is our best 10, and will be our WC 10 so i'd rather we stick with him for now. Hopefully the problems with his tackling have already been identified and are being worked on as we speak. But it wont be fixed overnight.

I'd be for a bit of experimenting against Italy. If anyone stands out against Munster give them a go against Italy. But we will have to wait and see how that game goes to know for sure.

Also, i hope Gower plays for Italy :D

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I agree with the calls for KB (Kurtley Beale) to stay at FB. He seems very much to be a confidence player and let's say we move him to 10 and it goes a bit pear shaped - confidence takes a beating then he moves back to FB for France and the confidence now a bit shaky means it goes a bit pear shaped again and confidence takes another hit. Sure that could happen at 15 but at least he knows now what is required as the Wallaby 15.

Anyway, I think the changes in the backs are in some respects inconsequential if the forwards don't man up. Chis is rubbish for his size. I think Sharpe and Pocock should be rested against Italy. Give Van a go - he is old school tough so the manning up will not really be an issue for him. Hodgson deserves some sort of a decent chance being dudded many times before - yes, a risk giving DP a breather but I think is worthwhile. Let's give the frontrow another chance to find some form as a unit - Slipper is great on the bench but perhaps more time - a half time change.

So, I would like to see for Italy (as a risk, yes)

Beale, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Hynes, Cooper, Burgess, Higginbotham, Elsom, Hodgson, Van, Mumm, Alexander, Moore, Robinson. Res: Slipper TPN Simmons Pocock Giteau Mitchell.

Then for the French, if Cooper is rubbish again, drop him for Barnes at 10. Will be more meaningful if he is dropped for France than Italy.

Do we know if O'Connor will be rejoining the team?

Bieber is back for France.

I like this team, I could certainly live with it if they rolled this out. Less for the rest factor, more for the "we dragged these guys 3000 miles across the world , lets see what they can do" factor.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Okay....here's what I find so funny about this game.

It's f**ckn Italy!!

It shouldn't matter which players on this tour take the field - the wallabies should roll them by 20-odd points minimum.They are ranked 12th in the world, behind Wales, Fiji and Samoa. I can't believe some people actually think that Italy could be a problem.

Here's an insight into the AB supporters mind-set....if the All Blacks ever lose to Italy or Scotland and maybe even Ireland then the coaches, the captain and vice-captain, the CEO of the NZRFU, the physios and waterboys, the commentators at Sky Sport and the bus driver would all be fired and maybe a couple of them have contracts put out on their heads.

You guys should really expect more from the Wallabies here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

It's f**ckn Italy!!

It shouldn't matter which players on this tour take the field - the wallabies should roll them by 20-odd points minimum.They are ranked 12th in the world, behind Wales, Fiji and Samoa. I can't believe some people actually think that Italy could be a problem.

Here's an insight into the AB supporters mind-set....if the All Blacks ever lose to Italy or Scotland and maybe even Ireland then the coaches, the captain and vice-captain, the CEO of the NZRFU, the physios and waterboys, the commentators at Sky Sport and the bus driver would all be fired and maybe a couple of them have contracts put out on their heads.

Last time we played them in Italy we won 30-20 thanks to Quade's late try. The time before that we won 25-18 thanks to a Morty try. I'm just looking for an improved performance from last week, notably in aggression and accuracy

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Last time we played them in Italy we won 30-20 thanks to Quade's late try. The time before that we won 25-18 thanks to a Morty try. I'm just looking for an improved performance from last week, notably in aggression and accuracy

Surely the Wallabies themselves believe they are far better than these results suggest...surely?!?!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Surely the Wallabies themselves believe they are far better than these results suggest...surely?!?!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

It's f**ckn Italy!!

Logically you are correct of course. But we are a rugby nation that has been beaten by Tonga before. If any of the SH teams are capable of being knocked off by the Italians, it's us.

We should have too much class all over the paddock for them, but our recent results against them do not in any way suggest a thrashing is in the offing.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
This time last year: Italy 6 NZ 20. Italy denied a perfectly legitimate shout for a Penalty Try.

20 points, eh?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
This time last year: Italy 6 NZ 20. Italy denied a perfectly legitimate shout for a Penalty Try.

20 points, eh?

Here was the All Black team that played that game:

1. Wyatt Crockett (2 Tests) 2. Corey Flynn (5) 3. Neemia Tialata (39) 4. Tom Donnelly (3) 5. Anthony Boric (10) 6. Liam Messam (2) 7. Tanerau Latimer (3) 8. Rodney So'oialo (61, captain) 9. Andy Ellis (11) 10. Mike Delany - uncapped 11. Sitiveni Sivivatu (40) 12. Luke McAlister (28) 13. Tamati Ellison - uncapped 14. Ben Smith - uncapped 15. Cory Jane (10)

Reserves
16. Andrew Hore (45) 17. John Afoa (21) 18. Jason Eaton (15) 19. Richie McCaw (78) 20. Jimmy Cowan (29) 21. Stephen Donald (17) 22. Mils Muliaina (79)

Ten players in that team are on tour this year and 6 of those 10 were on the bench including McCaw and Mils - Carter didn't even play. Still won by 14 points.

Experimenting much?

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
I know its not going to be the same XV but after watching the Munster game there I really feel a loss against Italy, we just seem like we dont want to be here and its gone like the flu through the squad.
Italy will sniff this is a dour 10 man game and pin us down.
At least the lads will catch the sights of Florence.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Oh, so even when you're wrong you're right.

You're obviously missing the point Godfrey so read slower.

The Wallabies should win and win comfortably. NZ and the All Blacks look at Italy as a team to experiment against, try and get combinations going or warm-up. No matter what, we expect to win - even when half the team are simply being given a shot. Despite the fact that they are obviously an 'experimental' team, every one of those players last year would have expected to beat Italy. And the NZ public expected them to beat Italy....and we were disappointed that it wasn't by more.

I've just found out you've lost to Munster....maybe you guys should be worried about Italy :D

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Barnes made Donald look good today. We'll be fine against Italy. Unless Deans gets them to play whats in front of someone else.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Munster has to have left Deans with some very difficult decisions. Tough to drop those that need to be when the replacement options are so abysmal.

The only change I'd bet on is Slipper starting, probably for Fat Cat. Hard to even pick who is going to replace JOC (James O'Connor).

Status
Not open for further replies.