• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor - where will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree it would overall be better if he stayed west, but that may not be the strongest factor. It would be damn enticing to be part of that backline in Qld.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
With Quade's manager and the way he is being shopped around, sadly there is a chance the Reds may need a five eighth in 2012.

But for the Force's and Australian rugby's sake it would be better if he stayed out West. The Force need to keep or find backs with X factor, outside of JOC (James O'Connor) it is what they are sorely missing.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Quade is already signed with QLD for 2012. It is the ARU he needs to sign with.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry meant 2013, not 2012.

If the NRL rumors are true about the new TV deal, the chances of League stealing top players like Cooper is sadly very high.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I hope he stays at the force. I don't want him hanging round cooper. Besides the reds have enough talent in the backline. Its just going to hamper some young gun.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I reckon the force will pull out a big $$$ trump deal...

He is just to valuable to that club, it would crazy if he left..

You would have to think that in WA, someone could put together a big $ 3rd party deal - it would be loose change for any of the mining companies or their support companies that are minting it at the moment.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Apparently Twiggy has been spotted at Force games on occassions but no indication that he has put his hand in his pocket. Be nice if he did though...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry meant 2013, not 2012.

If the NRL rumors are true about the new TV deal, the chances of League stealing top players like Cooper is sadly very high.

The amount of money in the salary cap with the new tv deal is a lie, there only going to get that money if they promise expansion so the money will be divided between more teams.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Any Force fans in the know able to comment on how the younger O'Connor is going way out west? Will that likely sway JOC (James O'Connor)'s decision?

I'm all for him staying. How about a vote?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You would have to think that in WA, someone could put together a big $ 3rd party deal - it would be loose change for any of the mining companies or their support companies that are minting it at the moment.

It's surprising but we haven't here'd anything. Gits got offered a million a year and what he was owed from fire power to stay when he left.

I don't think Toby Lynn joining the force will sway him any more to stay. QC (Quade Cooper) probably would lol

I think we will find out before Friday!!!!

Off topic for a sec. I'm on twitter so if anyone else is let me know!! I already follow w Jesus and gagger.

Go the force!!!!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Any Force fans in the know able to comment on how the younger O'Connor is going way out west? Will that likely sway JOC (James O'Connor)'s decision?

I'm all for him staying. How about a vote?

I here he is doing ok. Sounds like he likes Perth but nothing too special going on there ATM. Maybe JOC (James O'Connor)'s mum will make him stay too look after him lol. Come on muma JOC (James O'Connor)!!!!

Go the force!!!!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I hope he stays at the force. I don't want him hanging round cooper. Besides the reds have enough talent in the backline. Its just going to hamper some young gun.

I'd love to see him in QLD but would really feel for someone like Mike Harris if he did come. From Beales last comments on the matter it appears he definitely wants to play 12 and would force Harris back into his 'super sub' role as the Reds already have a pile of outside backs (when not injured at least). From his form this season Harris is too good to just be a bench warmer. Tapuai as well showed what he will be capable of against the Blues. With the side the Reds have fit at the moment his most valuable spot maybe fullback in place of Lucas.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I love this talk of people wanting JOC (James O'Connor) to stay west for the benefit of the game in the country. Did you guys promote that same logic when the Reds were pillaged of players when the Force came in? Has taken them until now to recover.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I love this talk of people wanting JOC (James O'Connor) to stay west for the benefit of the game in the country. Did you guys promote that same logic when the Reds were pillaged of players when the Force came in? Has taken them until now to recover.

And just where were the Force expected to get their players from?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd love to see him in QLD but would really feel for someone like Mike Harris if he did come. From Beales last comments on the matter it appears he definitely wants to play 12 and would force Harris back into his 'super sub' role as the Reds already have a pile of outside backs (when not injured at least). From his form this season Harris is too good to just be a bench warmer. Tapuai as well showed what he will be capable of against the Blues. With the side the Reds have fit at the moment his most valuable spot maybe fullback in place of Lucas.

I'm not sure how long Harris is signed for, but I suspect if he isn't in Wallaby contention at all, he'll go back to NZ at some stage as I'm sure one of the Super Rugby teams over there would be now interested in him.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)

I think the lesson has been learned. People don't want to see a franchise get mauled again.

T

TOCC

I didnt want to see the Reds mauled by losing there star players and i would hate to see it happen to the Force as well..

This isnt a case of two wrongs making a right...

In addition, the Force were effectively forced to pillage the Reds players because they had no-one else, the same cant be said for the Reds currently.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The amount of money in the salary cap with the new tv deal is a lie, there only going to get that money if they promise expansion so the money will be divided between more teams.

Sorry for going off topic...

Interesting to hear, and very good for Rugby if you're hopefully correct.

The rumour I heard was insane (and if true, worrying for Union) - NRL salary caps at about $7.5M / year, with a grant of just over that to each club. With the Union salary cap to be $4.4M in the first year, or thereabouts, for more players in the squad, the NRL clubs could've easily have had their pick of players - even the players with the ARU top up grants, in all likelihood.

I suspect that this rumour, though, started on the assumption of a similar or larger TV deal than the AFL got.

Status
Not open for further replies.