• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan vs Wallabies, Nissan Stadium, Yokohama, Sat 4th Nov 4.40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodge did very well but also made some schoolboy errors when option taking. He will get better and will be much better with Beale at 12. His goal kicking and touch finders were a revelation
Foley is by far the better 10 at this point but having Hodge and Beale in the 23 gives adequate cover. At full strength we also have to squeeze Hunt and Folau in there somewhere as well although Hunt may prove to be the perfect bench back.

Koroibete is the real deal, maybe even a step up from Naivalu. He just goes looking for work and is so uncompromising in contact, not to mention his ability to find the chalk.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I like the fact that we are not as reliant on specific players, last week Foley and Beale were being smashed, but we found a way, in previous versions, block out our 10 out of the game and we fell apart. Now we move it to others and keep working on the process

This week no Foley, Genia or Folau; and the structure held together and we found a way

All based on the forwards working hard, getting knocked over, getting off their arse and doing it again until we had a miss match elsewhere

No where near a perfect match, a shit load of work is needed over the accuracy of our cleanouts, but step forward again

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you say thats all it is then he’ll presumably get it back but his hands either way looked like he had heavy work gloves on.
His goal kicking looked far superior to the ice man’s.

It's a position (more so than most) for which you need to play or at least train there every week to keep those skills up. If Roger Federer didn't pick up a raquet for 12 months or more, there's a fair chance he'd frame a few in his first match back.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And has completely vindicated Cheika's revolving door selection policy to build depth. I think the armchair critics have proven they were really wrong in their criticisms here.

Don't know how you can say that as we, the armchair critics, had picked out Coleman, Arnold and Philip long before they got their chance with the chocolate wheel. Maybe Rodda was brought in before too many fans were calling for his elevation, but generally we have been well in front of the coaches with the second row. Along with calling for the removal of Simmons from the side for half a decade, it seems. Maybe need a surgeon to perform that operation.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Everyone needs to like the allblacks page on Facebook and the use the laughing emoji when they post their ass licking all black posts up. They do it to the wallabies posts so most of our stuff has the laughing emoji on it always. Let's get back at the dickheads!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hodge did very well but also made some schoolboy errors when option taking. He will get better and will be much better with Beale at 12. His goal kicking and touch finders were a revelation
Foley is by far the better 10 at this point but having Hodge and Beale in the 23 gives adequate cover. At full strength we also have to squeeze Hunt and Folau in there somewhere as well although Hunt may prove to be the perfect bench back.

Koroibete is the real deal, maybe even a step up from Naivalu. He just goes looking for work and is so uncompromising in contact, not to mention his ability to find the chalk.

I haven't yet seen the match, so take my comments with a great deal of salt, but there have quite a few posts now about Hodge having a weak left to right pass and that it seems to be his main drawback in the 10 spot. Then there are comments, like yours, that Foley is the far better No 10. In what regards is Foley so much of a standout over what Hodge displayed yesterday, if Hodge's main limitation was his passing left to right? In what regards did Hodge show superior skills or abilities than Foley, remembering that Foley has quite a few obvious limitations also at 10? Could Hodge in time convert to 10 like Bernie Larkham did?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I haven't yet seen the match, so take my comments with a great deal of salt, but there have quite a few posts now about Hodge having a weak left to right pass and that it seems to be his main drawback in the 10 spot. Then there are comments, like yours, that Foley is the far better No 10. In what regards is Foley so much of a standout over what Hodge displayed yesterday, if Hodge's main limitation was his passing left to right? In what regards did Hodge show superior skills or abilities than Foley, remembering that Foley has quite a few obvious limitations also at 10? Could Hodge in time convert to 10 like Bernie Larkham did?

Foley is just more organised and effective at releasing the players around him and he runs into holes whereas Reece tended to pound it up into contact when he ran yesterday. Hodge did well and will get better. I seriously doubt he will be chosen ahead of Foley at 10 in any important test match, maybe any test unless Foley needs a spell.
Foley is given a tough time here but is a very good 10 and often is one of the Wallabies best.
Hodge to take over all kicking duties though.......effective immediately.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Foleys option taking and ability to execute is much better than Hodges right now as you would expect.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Agreed, JB, Hodge isn't going to start at 10 against the Soap Dodgers. But, if we're up by more than a score against the Sweaties with 15 to go I'd be tempted to give him another run at five-eighth.

After wringing my hands (like many others) with the apparent lack of depth in Oz rugby Chek & Co seem to've solved the problems in the second row. Coleman's come along very well the past two years, Arnold from last year and they've now been joined by Rodda, Tui and Philip. Conversely, Carter, Douglas and Simmons look as if their times in gold are coming to an end. I hope all three stick around in Super Rugby so's they can guide the newbies along the correct path. Like how not to give away silly penalties, Rob.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If Hodge can develop a left to right pass and really does make himself an option at 10 .

I thought some of the commentary on this issue to be well over-blown. No doubt Kafer sees something legit in the comment, but at the end of the day, if it's ugly, but works, it still works. One pass from Hodge left to right was missed and resulted in a Kafer castigation. But the pass was fine, in front of the player who came onto it but not enough as it was flat and the defence was in your face. If their was a pass problem it was inches. Something a decent outside back should be able to deal with. Hodge went fine, his biggest area for improvement in my mind is about too much ruck engagement and not enough passes. Something that probably just needs time in the slot.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I thought some of the commentary on this issue to be well over-blown. No doubt Kafer sees something legit in the comment, but at the end of the day, if it's ugly, but works, it still works. One pass from Hodge left to right was missed and resulted in a Kafer castigation. But the pass was fine, in front of the player who came onto it but not enough as it was flat and the defence was in your face. If their was a pass problem it was inches. Something a decent outside back should be able to deal with. Hodge went fine, his biggest area for improvement in my mind is about too much ruck engagement and not enough passes. Something that probably just needs time in the slot.
Yep agree with that. For me his accuracy wasn't too bad it was more that he was slightly delayed on the longer passes while he steadied himself and got his hand positioning right to throw the spiral. I think with more time at ten or in a distributive role he will improve at transfering the ball across his body and passing in one motion.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you are talking about the pass that bounced and led to a try then you’re kidding. That was shite, pure and simple. I’ve seen better at lawn bowls.
He threw others too hard and behind and they weren’t all left to right.
His ruck involvements are an interesting if unintentional experiment - with Beale running a lot at first receiver the missing 10 doesn’t matter so much and on the first try Beale made Hodge look like the fifth wheel. I don’t think that try would have been scored with Hodge at first receiver - he seemed to be calling for it but he was too deep to make it stick.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
IS, if we're talking about the Speight try at approx 50:30 (highlights real at rugby.com.au)

To start with the pass from Beale was not sufficiently in front of Hodge which slows him up. Then the Hodge pass was not behind but in front and flat. McMahon did not come onto the ball as he might have, with defence coming through hard.

The pass might not have been perfect, but it is not imo evidence that Hodge cant pass in the no 10 role.

Look, he's not what I would be looking for in a 10, neither is Foley though. Hodge made 21 passes. Foley was 26 in that last game against NZ, the difference noticeable without being significant, so Beale at first receiver, a definite impact on our 10s but not significantly different than our usual fly half.

He has plenty to do, but it was not a disaster.

T

TOCC

Pass from Hodge also went to ground in the lead up to Kerevi’s 2nd try?, Speight regathered broke the line, passed to Beale and then Kerevi who scored.

Against a Tier 1 nation that wouldn’t have been a try, would have been punished by the opposition

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, if we're talking about the Speight try at approx 50:30 (highlights real at rugby.com.au)

To start with the pass from Beale was not sufficiently in front of Hodge which slows him up. Then the Hodge pass was not behind but in front and flat. McMahon did not come onto the ball as he might have, with defence coming through hard.

The pass might not have been perfect, but it is not imo evidence that Hodge cant pass in the no 10 role.

Look, he's not what I would be looking for in a 10, neither is Foley though. Hodge made 21 passes. Foley was 26 in that last game against NZ, the difference noticeable without being significant, so Beale at first receiver, a definite impact on our 10s but not significantly different than our usual fly half.

He has plenty to do, but it was not a disaster.
That pass came out of his hands like it was a medicine ball - I’m only giving him the benefit of the doubt because old mate quick hands assures us he’s been better at that than that!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ah well. I'm not convincing anyone. Think we are being a bit harsh on Hodge first run at FH. Doesn't seem I have many supporters, though I notice something like 9/15 in the 3-2-1 thread have included Hodge in their scores.

Not bad for a failed flyhalf display.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
The anti-Hodge posts were getting close to the numbers of anti-Foley ones. Glad the guy had a good game & wasn't as dire as many on here were making him out to be

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think they are anti necessarily. Just don't think anyone is sold on him starting at 10. His skills seem better suited to a wider role.

T

TOCC

The anti-Hodge posts were getting close to the numbers of anti-Foley ones. Glad the guy had a good game & wasn't as dire as many on here were making him out to be

No and this is the frustrating misconception, that we can’t objectively critique a section without it being interpreted as criticism towards a player. I think you’ll find 99% of posters on here are fans of Hodge, myself included, he has played well above expectations in 2017 and has proven himself worthy of selection at test level.

The reality is that he played as well as expected of him and put in 100%, but he isn’t a natural 5/8, at the moment he doesn’t have the passing or distribution skills required of a 5/8. If Sekope Kepu was selected at 5/8, I wouldn’t hold it against him if his passing skills were lacking, and nor will I hold it against Hodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.