• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jnr Ruby Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know how the age group works in jnr rugby?

My son turned 6 in Jan, so is that just under 7s?

His cousin turns 7 in May, is he under 7s too?

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:

Whatever age you turn between Jan 1 and Dec 31 is your age, so your son is in the under 6's (doesnt sound right but it is) and the cousin is under 7's.

Now just wait till you get to Little Athletics and/or GPS where a whole new range of age definitions arise, and then at national athletics it's different again, so an under 16 is actually a 17 -
Real good hair pulling stuff.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Noddy said:

Whatever age you turn between Jan 1 and Dec 31 is your age, so your son is in the under 6's (doesnt sound right but it is) and the cousin is under 7's.

Now just wait till you get to Little Athletics and/or GPS where a whole new range of age definitions arise, and then at national athletics it's different again, so an under 16 is actually a 17 -

6 in Jan = under 6s (so 7s for two years in my day)

7 in May = under 7s

from memory

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yep, that's right. It's the same for rep games as boys get older - even in the Under 20's.

Thus Kurtley Beale who has his birthday in the first week of January is still eligible for the Under 20s this year.

R

rugbywhisperer

fatprop said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Noddy said:

6 in Jan = under 6s (so 7s for two years in my day)

7 in May = under 7s

from memory

AND in the day we played full field full laws as everyone else, no mini,midi,walla on teeny weeny fields - and with 15 players.
Oh the good old days

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hey Noddy - is it tackle at U6s level, its been a while since I've been to anklebiter rugga. My son is 5 (turn 6 in Oct this year), and he's keen but Missus ACT rather he just play Touch

R

rugbywhisperer

ACT Crusader said:
Hey Noddy - is it tackle at U6s level, its been a while since I've been to anklebiter rugga. My son is 5 (turn 6 in Oct this year), and he's keen but Missus ACT rather he just play Touch

No tackle for a couple of years I'm afraid.
Start with Walla which is touch only then progress through Mini and Midi laws and finally at age 13
you get to have 15 players on a big mans field.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
Noddy said:
Anyone know how the age group works in jnr rugby? My son turned 6 in Jan, so is that just under 7s? His cousin turns 7 in May, is he under 7s too?
Whatever age you turn between Jan 1 and Dec 31 is your age, so your son is in the under 6s (doesn't sound right but it is) and the cousin is under 7s.

Now just wait till you get to Little Athletics and/or GPS where a whole new range of age definitions arise, and then at national athletics it's different again, so an under 16 is actually a 17 - Real good hair pulling stuff.

Don't forget junior cricket where the cutoff date is late in the year, 31 October or whatever. :nta: :nta: :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Work the same this side. Mine is u11 turning 11 on 30 November. Tough luck. ;D

Our lot play full contact from u7. We dont have U6s here. 10 a side (5 forwards and 5 backs) till U10 then its 15 a side full field like the big boys. Bare feet till U13 and togs from U14. (Altho I see the souties lot play with togs from U10.)

Think some countries plays tag rugby for the smaller ones, to keep the mums satisfied. Not here, fatties need to experiense scrums from early age.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Paarl is pointing out exactly what is wrong with Aussie rugby - not enough mongrel kicked into the little bastards from an early age.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Work the same this side. Mine is u11 turning 11 on 30 November. Tough luck. ;D

Our lot play full contact from u7. We dont have U6s here. 10 a side (5 forwards and 5 backs) till U10 then its 15 a side full field like the big boys. Bare feet till U13 and togs from U14. (Altho I see the souties lot play with togs from U10.)

Think some countries plays tag rugby for the smaller ones, to keep the mums satisfied. Not here, fatties need to experiense scrums from early age.
They only get pants at U14??? Not sure the mums would like that!
Sorry, PB, just havin' a laugh! You're right, blood them early.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
NTA said:
Paarl is pointing out exactly what is wrong with Aussie rugby - not enough mongrel kicked into the little bastards from an early age.

And yet I'm sure tackle starts fairly young for jnr League, maybe U7s or U8s.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Trust me my one is small for his age and end up easily on his arse and a blood mouth not tackle low enough. He have to learn from a young age to do it right or get hurt and to deal with the hurt. I kick both my kids arses if they get scared or hurt, they can cry but that hurt must make them angry to dish it out back within the laws of the games. I am more then enough prepared to take the hiding if they get a yellow or red card. I dont promote it but will be disappointing if they dont get it the way I want them to play the game. Mrs have to shiteup here, its the mans area. :nta:

Status
Not open for further replies.