• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Drake dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donsteppa

A real shock and far too young.

One of my favourite rugby commentators - rest in peace Drakey.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10547923

Rugby: Former All Black John Drake dies [John Drake 1959-2008]
Updated 7:45PM Saturday Dec 13, 2008

>>Read John Drake's columns at nzherald.co.nz

Rugged All Blacks forward John Drake, a member of the New Zealand team that won the 1987 World Cup, died today in Mt Maunganui at the age of 49.

A family friend at his residence confirmed Drake's death to NZPA tonight but declined to give any details or comment on a report that the former footballer turned television commentator had collapsed and died at the side of his swimming pool.

Drake, a tight-head prop represented New Zealand between 1985 and 1987 and played 12 matches including eight tests.

He was a key member of the World Cup-winning squad, playing in five of the six matches.

Born on January 22, 1959, he was educated at Auckland Grammar School, but played his first club rugby in Dunedin and turned out for Otago Juniors.

When he returned to Auckland, Drake played for the under-23 and B provincial teams before becoming a regular member of the senior side.

He went to France where he played three seasons and it was during the third, 1985-86, that he was recalled to join the All Blacks touring Argentina.

Returning to Auckland in 1986, he regained his place in the Auckland team and was selected for the All Blacks' tour of France where he played at tighthead in both tests.

He retired at the end of 1987 at the conclusion of the World Cup season.

In recent years Drake was a highly respected television commentator and newspaper columnist. He is survived by his wife Cathy and three daughters.

- NZPA, NEWSTALK ZB

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is shocking news and our thoughts go out to his family and the Kiwi rugby community.

Sometimes I don't like the Kiwi commentators, but that never pertained to John Drake, who was one of the best "expert" commentators going around. I particularly remember his cogent remarks before the Bledisloe in Sydney this year.

God Bless you John Drake.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Been away all weekend - just heard this today. Shocking news.
My thoughts go to his family.
Never minded Drakey's comments - very insightful commentator.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Drake was probably my favourite commentator. Sad and shocking news :(

He'll be missed.

J

Jury

Yeah, I'm just gutted. He was my favourite rugby commentator and one of my all time favourite players. He always tried to be fair and when the hysteria of Tony Johnson, Mexted and Nisbett became cringe-inducing - to the point I'd yell at the TV - Drake would come out with a one-liner that would shut them up. He was a blunt guy, but I found he had the nack of honesty, without stooping to ad hominem attacks on teams, and individuals.

In the last few years, he began to be one of the cornerstone commentators over here for the big-games. Strangely, I always felt less anxious when I heard Drake's voice coming out of the box. Even if we were losing a match, Drake would tell us why, give props to the other team and not bag the ref (like other commentators do). His voice was calm, confident, insightful and usually bang on the money.

For someone who hasn't played in the forwards since high school (and never in the front row), I found Drake's comments about the dark arts incredibly informative.

He really will be missed and I still can't quite believe he has gone.

RIP Drakey.

F

formeropenside

My condolences to his family. 49 is far too young to go.

M

Mainlander

Jury said:
Yeah, I'm just gutted. He was my favourite rugby commentator and one of my all time favourite players. He always tried to be fair and when the hysteria of Tony Johnson, Mexted and Nisbett became cringe-inducing - to the point I'd yell at the TV - Drake would come out with a one-liner that would shut them up. He was a blunt guy, but I found he had the nack of honesty, without stooping to ad hominem attacks on teams, and individuals.

In the last few years, he began to be one of the cornerstone commentators over here for the big-games. Strangely, I always felt less anxious when I heard Drake's voice coming out of the box. Even if we were losing a match, Drake would tell us why, give props to the other team and not bag the ref (like other commentators do). His voice was calm, confident, insightful and usually bang on the money.

For someone who hasn't played in the forwards since high school (and never in the front row), I found Drake's comments about the dark arts incredibly informative.

He really will be missed and I still can't quite believe he has gone.

RIP Drakey.

What he said........

Only other commentator who is up to his standard is another front rower Bendon Canon. This was based on the one time I heard Brendon do a commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.