• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales' charge down kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yes, unless it happens in my 'black out period' 96 and 97 when I was in the USA and saw almost no rugby.

R

Rothschild

Are we all not getting confused with the occasion where Eales stopped a penalty kick from crossing the crossbar by leaping and knocking the ball down before it had crossed.
That was a tremendous feat HOWEVER it was deemed an intentional knockdown and the attacking tem had a new kick at goal from in front of the posts. Wasted effort but great all the same.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are we all not getting confused with the occasion where Eales stopped a penalty kick from crossing the crossbar by leaping and knocking the ball down before it had crossed.
That was a tremendous feat HOWEVER it was deemed an intentional knockdown and the attacking tem had a new kick at goal from in front of the posts. Wasted effort but great all the same.

that's what I thought, however he did do it (at least for Brothers and I thought for the Reds) successfully and then kicked it down field.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

My recollection is different, it wasn't an intentional knock doen but a charge down the same as any other and it was play on after his 40M kick down field. This was replicated by the Wallabies a few times hoisting player like Eales and Giffen under the posts until it was put a stop to.

However as referred to by Fitzsimons (see my earlier post) there was indeed a charge down by Eales running from the goal line. I just can't remember what game. I have most of the games from 94 to now but unfortunately they are on VHS and I haven't got around to converting them all yet so it will take me a while to track down. Unless some one can get hold of Fitzy's book or send him an email?

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Question:

Please reply if you know that match where John Eales charged down and stopped a conversion? Also who the kicker was?

This little question is about as nasty as Austin's little "which one of these scrums is different?" video.

I can recall this (I think) but like many on G&GR I can not recall the exact details. Bugger.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
that's what I thought, however he did do it (at least for Brothers and I thought for the Reds) successfully and then kicked it down field.

Yes he did do it for the Reds. However, IIRC he tried it again and ended up knocking on. The opposition took the scrum and then ended up scoring a try.

Not much of a gain there.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
How's the scrum possible when the ball's not in play from a conversion? I can only see a re-start or re-kick as possibilities?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well I went to book case and Lo there was a copy of Fitzsimons book "John Eales - The Biography" ABC Books 2001 Hard Cover Edition pp280

The game in which the "charge down" first occurred is quoted as being the S12 match versus Auckland at Ballymore. Penalty kick by Carlos Spencer and the result was indeed a knock on.

Status
Not open for further replies.