• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales Medal - the runners and riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The John Eales Medal is up for grabs again. It's where the Wallaby players themselves vote for who they reckon the best player was after each match on a 3-2-1 basis. Included in this was our inglorious performance at the RWC last year and all 9 tests played under Aussie Robbie in 2008 to date.

Past winners were:
2007 - Nathan Sharpe (!)
2006 - Chris Latham
2005 - Jeremy Paul
2004 - David Lyons
2003 - Phil Waugh
2002 - George Smith

Below is a list of who's in the frame this year (as announced on Inside Rugby), with a few words on each of their prospects / 'deservedness'. You can also cast your vote in the poll that counts on the right, and of course spray your views below as well.

Rocky Elsom - It's been a right of passage year for Rocky. You have to try and separate out his excellent Super 14 form though, as that can make you forget that it wasn't really until after the RWC that he fully established himself as a world 15 player - marked by his performance for the Barbars at Twickenham last November. Blindside can be a tough position to judge, so much of the work going unnoticed. I think he rightly got big plaudits earlier in this year for his bustling defence, running and line-out work. However, after his injuries late in the season, I'm not convinced he ever got back to full potential.

Matt Giteau - with arguments still ongoing as to whether he's a better 10 or 12, you can't argue that he's one hell of a talented footballer. Save for Barnes outside of him, the whole backline relies on his creativity and when he gets involved tries start to happen. On top of that his place kicking form has been excellent in '08. However, you've got to remember that the 5 matches at the RWC are still counted in the Eales medal reckoning and at that time he was still being d?cked around at 9 until the quarter final when he moved back to 12.

Stirling Mortlock
- its almost the opposite for big Morty as for Gits. Last year he and Latham were the two behemoths of the backline, and at the end of the RWC were perhaps our only world 15 players. Who'll forget the try he created for Stanners against the ABs at the G? However, this year things haven't gone so swimmingly - defensive c?ck-ups, Cross looking good and questions on the captaincy have tarnished the Evil Wizard's reputation somewhat, despite him still being a top drawer player.

Wycliff Palu - perhaps it's the rose tinted and unrealistic memories of Kef that we all have, of him plowing through All Black packs to score like he did every game (!?) that big Cliffy gets measured so harshly. When you look at the stats of just about any game that he plays in, he's making double the metres of the next forward and in the defences of today (apart from ours) its those hard yards that unlock them. He is still wrestling with his handling though, witness his 5 minutes of horror in the last 3N test.

George Smith
- undoubtedly a rugby genius. If he'd been wearing an All Black jumper the rest of the world would have worshiped him as much as McCaw and he may even as got away with the same level of blatancy. The good thing about the last couple of seasons is that the Eddie Jones nonsense of trying to turn him into a short fat 8 has subsided and he's now focusing on 7. Even when the rest of the pack had for some reason given up on the breakdown, he's still been there, turning over ball at the most crucial times and pulling off bootlace tackles. Gagger's tip for John Eales Medal

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - I think it's Smith first and daylight second to be honest. I know I've said that I would always start Waugh instead of Smith against the Boks and Poms, who are bashers, if they were both in a match day 22, but I don't think that is inconsistent with my opinion that Smith has been our best player.

His chip and grubber kicks still give me the shits sometimes though.

F

formeropenside

Yeah its got to be Smith. Not as many silly kicks as previous years and a class player all around.

I'd personally think Horwill might have been a shot if he had gone to RWC last year in place of Sharpe.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Over at PR I use to coordinate the PR player of the year, done over the calender year (which this isn't). The 2007 winner was Mortlock.

Looking at the results for the period covering the same as the JEM, our top 5s are the same except for Horwill for Palu. And Latho was close behind with a strong RWC. Palu isn't in our top ten.

As a matter of interest, Gits would win this if it was based on PR votes.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Noddy said:
As a matter of interest, Gits would win this if it was based on PR votes.

What a bunch of gimps.

How Moore and Horwill aren't in the top 5 is beyond me. Its all about the glamour boys. No wonder guys like Sharpe (and his heir in seagulling, Hugh McMenimen) lurk out wide and shun the tough stuff.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hey we could do that too. Now is just as good a time as any too start. The only problem I can see is the beer goggles I sometimes wear.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, its a bit of fun. I think it works best over the calender year, but let's start it with the HK Bled anyway.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Noddy, have you given up PR for good? I noticed a few of them over there crying into their beers, wondering if/when you'd come back... Did you lose a bet, or just get sick of the childishness?

On the topic, I think, as Lee does that Smith is a pretty clear choice here. I doubt any will come close. I am also surprised like Naza that Moore didn't make the final five - surely he was one of the more consistent performers? And to finish off my current 'yes man' status, I support former's point that Horwill would be right up there if he went to the RWC (in fact he probably would have won if it was based on this years performances).

(Gee that was an original post, wasn't it Scotty... )

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I personally voted for Mortlcok online but I think either Rocky or Smith will win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sully, it covers the end of season tour from the previous year and then the domestic season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry Scotty. Just needed a change of scene. People tend to go a little OTT over there and I found it too easy to carried away with it all.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They certainly do. I would be lucky to post there once a month now, and lurk a couple of times a week. It isn't getting any better.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gagger said:
George Smith[/b] - undoubtedly a rugby genius. If he'd been wearing an All Black jumper the rest of the world would have worshiped him as much as McCaw and he may even as got away with the same level of blatancy. The good thing about the last couple of seasons is that the Eddie Jones nonsense of trying to turn him into a short fat 8 has subsided and he's now focusing on 7. Even when the rest of the pack had for some reason given up on the breakdown, he's still been there, turning over ball at the most crucial times and pulling off bootlace tackles.

George Smith is my tip as well. The "what if" he'd been an AB question is an interesting one. The thing which would have made the most difference would have been that his career would have been played with a dominant pack rather than a pack acknowledged as lightweight from 2002/3 to 2007. That is a big chunk of his career. Even McGod would struggle playing with the Aussie pack. Having said all of that, I think McGod has lifted this season and is playing the best I have seen him play.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gagger said:
George Smith[/b] - undoubtedly a rugby genius. If he'd been wearing an All Black jumper the rest of the world would have worshiped him as much as McCaw

Agreed - until he pulled out yet another grubber which is something McCaw clearly has over him: intelligence.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
His chip and grubber kicks still give me the shits sometimes though.

Shit, I meant to put that in the original post!

however,

NTA said:
Gagger said:
George Smith[/b] - undoubtedly a rugby genius. If he'd been wearing an All Black jumper the rest of the world would have worshiped him as much as McCaw

Agreed - until he pulled out yet another grubber which is something McCaw clearly has over him: intelligence.

"yeh, I dudn't thunk of kucking for field position" - after be beaten at MCG last year

"yeh, I dudn't thunk of a drop goal eh" - after loss to France in RWC

Not that intulligent

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe neither are that intelligent, but McCaw certainly has more composure and discipline than Smith. Probably the main think that stands them apart. Smith's (sometimes) lack of discipline causes him to make 'obvious' infringements, where as McCaw's infringements are normally less noticeable (at least to the refs it seems).

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Not sure about the less obvious infringing (they're fuckin obvious to me! ;)) but I think you're right that McCaw keeps his head down a bit more.
Unfortunately the lack of a play maker at the Brumbies this year left a gap that Smith was obviously encouraged to fill and it seems to have crept into the Wallabies strip as well. You can't argue against his distribution though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is why I put the disclaimer 'at least to the refs'! Smith just has the odd brain explosion that McCaw doesn't seem to. But you are right, Smith's hands are better than most of our backs, particularly with short passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.