• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
A lot of clubs struggle once they reach under 13's. The really good kids are lured over to the schools by apparently non-existent scholarships (cough cough), or the parents move them on to private schools at that age anyway. Rugby is definitely struggling at the moment in the ACT. Bloody soccer, helicopter parents. Proud to say my oldest rugby boy is heading to senior club rugby after 13 years with a local junior club

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It really is struggle town to get teams for some clubs this year, Qbn no 4th's after winning the comp last year! Easts no 4ths, hardly a 3rd's, heard Vikings are struggling for numbers in 3rds and 4ths - what is going on?

Great to see Easts getting a win on Saturday - I honestly hope they keep it up and shock some people - myself included...

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Easts struggle for juniors. Last year they had no sides above u13's I believe. They haven't had an 18's side in recent memory. Their catchment are does not have a high percentage of children. I do however agree without strong junior representation clubs will struggle. That said junior numbers are well down and continue to evaporate even at the 3 major rugby schools. Looks like Grammar and Marist will only have 2 under 18's sides this year. There are more kids at Marist playing AFL and soccer than rugby.
Any ideas on what the problem is? If Marist cannot turn out a 3rds at senior level and AFL and soccer have higher participation levels than rugby then that should be concerning for local rugby and anyone involved with development. I can only think that youngsters must find the current game at Super and test level boring and be getting turned off.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any ideas on what the problem is? If Marist cannot turn out a 3rds at senior level and AFL and soccer have higher participation levels than rugby then that should be concerning for local rugby and anyone involved with development. I can only think that youngsters must find the current game at Super and test level boring and be getting turned off.

Sadly this is the whole issue with Aussie Rugby at the moment.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sadly this is the whole issue with Aussie Rugby at the moment.
It feels like rugby is getting cannibalised by other codes and inactive administration. I know from personal experience that my sons if given the option of watching a Super rugby match or an NRL match on the Tele will opt for the NRL because they find it more entertaining despite them still playing rugby. Anyway I'm getting off the thread theme so I'll tune out now.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not entirely related to JID but Sam Windsor has signed with Ulster.

Their biggest signing this week ahead of some bloke called Charles Piutau.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not entirely related to JID but Sam Windsor has signed with Ulster.

Their biggest signing this week ahead of some bloke called Charles Piutau.

Surprised no Super Rugby team picked him up - def a standout 10 in Aus....

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
That is very sad to hear re:Marist

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Today's results:

Wests 36 def Gungahlin 24 4 tries each with 4 penalty goals the difference
Royals 22 def Uni-Norths 19 with a penalty at the death
Vikings 66 def Easts 21

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Wests looking particuarly strong across the grades this year. Going to be a blockbuster against the Whites this weekend. Going to be a huge day at Phillip too with the Blue Baggers taking on the men in red and white.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Only made it out to the match of the round (Uni/Easts), which was won by the students. Any reports on Wests Qbn or comments from Royalies Vikings?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Only made it out to the match of the round (Uni/Easts), which was won by the students. Any reports on Wests Qbn or comments from Royalies Vikings?

Given that you were at the game, did you have anything more to offer about Easts and Uni? The Uni half looked like a pretty good prospect for them last week.

Vikings beat Royals in a game that looked like it could go either way at half time. Royals made some good breaks through some flimsy vikings defence in the first half but were unable to capitalise, and the pace of the vikings backline was too much in the second half. Looks like Southwell is starting to get some results with the backline which had stagnated a bit under the coach last year. That was without Johnson as well.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Given that you were at the game, did you have anything more to offer about Easts and Uni? The Uni half looked like a pretty good prospect for them last week.

Vikings beat Royals in a game that looked like it could go either way at half time. Royals made some good breaks through some flimsy vikings defence in the first half but were unable to capitalise, and the pace of the vikings backline was too much in the second half. Looks like Southwell is starting to get some results with the backline which had stagnated a bit under the coach last year. That was without Johnson as well.
It was a closer game than the scores depicted, the Uni-pack was dominant and their scrumhalf is a terror and very strong. As the wet rolled in it became a messy game with the soapstone being spilled regularly.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)

I think Monkeyboy summed it up pretty well, good forward play and they played the conditions well. There will be a few sides not wanting to come up against the Students later in the year.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)

Royals had good wins in colts and seconds but looked a bit off the pace in ones. Some long time servants of the club in key positions might be getting a bit long in the tooth but good to see a few new faces including a handy fullback. Tuggies strong across the park. Thompson is a big 10 who is a handful and has a radar boot - the Oakman Hunt twins round out a strong pack. Tuggies had a lot more depth and don't lose a lot when a starting player is replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.