• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
As we had the bye at Royals I went to Campsese and watched the game. Yes that was the case in the 2nd grade instance which was fine and good sportsmanship. But in first grade the 'nah nah nah nah goodbye' song went up and was roaring from the balcony as a player was leaving the field for Vikings after being knocked out.

Who are the recruits Royals are supposedly getting? I haven't heard anything.
Yeah you are right, now that you say that it def did happen that way, it is not acceptable to be carrying on like that, people get a bit carried away on that balcony, a bit of mob mentality, we will do our best to address that!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As discussed, there was a tweet from Vikings on the weekend that wasn't the best.

Fair play to them for apologising today.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Just for Information the Tuggeranong V Gungahlin matches are tonight not Friday as was advertised on the program last week.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings won all grades -

3rd grade wins 72-17

2nd grade wins 40-12
1st grade wins 48-18
Colts game was forfeited

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Vikings won all grades -

3rd grade wins 72-17
2nd grade wins 40-12
1st grade wins 48-18
Colts game was forfeited
That said the scoreline does not reflect the closeness of the match. they when point for point for much of the night. after 63 minutes tuggers were in front 19-18. They then scored a couple of tries and Gungahlin were gone. The Eagles should hold their heads up for what was a great spectacle from the sideline and a game played in great spirit. Congratulations to both sides

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
That said the scoreline does not reflect the closeness of the match. they when point for point for much of the night. after 63 minutes tuggers were in front 19-18. They then scored a couple of tries and Gungahlin were gone. The Eagles should hold their heads up for what was a great spectacle from the sideline and a game played in great spirit. Congratulations to both sides

Are you able to give a brief report, were there standouts from either side Joe? Sounds like it was a tough game, will be good to see Eagles return to some of their previous seasons form and upset some sides and challenge for a finals spot.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
The days of Easts are looking dire. They had only 13 players for second grade today, most who backed up from 3rd's. Unless they get some support I can see nothing, but a very sad end. I can understand a junior club being short, but a grade side not having 15 players is not on.

What support they need I'm not sure, but removing them from the competition would mean no guaranteed win for the other clubs and remove the bye!

Sorry for the tragics who want the last foundation club in but it's now a joke.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The days of Easts are looking dire. They had only 13 players for second grade today, most who backed up from 3rd's. Unless they get some support I can see nothing, but a very sad end. I can understand a junior club being short, but a grade side not having 15 players is not on.

What support they need I'm not sure, but removing them from the competition would mean no guaranteed win for the other clubs and remove the bye!

Sorry for the tragics who want the last foundation club in but it's now a joke.

Yep - went out to watch today and I just don't know what to say about Easts - there just seem to be a lack of drive - I am unsure what can be done - and the more games they don't win the more it cuts into player numbers - I can't seem them winning a game again this year in possibly any grade....there 1st grade side would currently be beaten by some 3rd/4th grade sides in the comp possibly....maybe time to look at bringing someone like Goulburn into the comp and just see how they fair...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe they should have Regulation system - last place of John I Dent - drops to Monaro 1st division comp (in 1st/2nd grade) and the winner of the Monaro comp is promoted.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
To play in the John I Dent you are "required" to have 1sts, 2nds, Colts, Thirds and Fourths. Although Easts don't have them I can't see them allowing a team to enter the comp without them. Goulburn were working their way to having player numbers but I think were struggling for Colts.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Unfortunately I don't see goulburn as a real option, they just don't have the player numbers to participate in the John I Dent. The only real option I could see would be a club out of Wagga, whether that is a stand alone club like Waratahs or Ag or they form a new club and draw players from all the clubs in Wagga. I can see how there might be some resistance to that from current clubs there but if it is done right it could be a way of keeping good players in Wagga and providing a pathway to NRC and super rugby for their best players. There at so many players in Wagga and southern inland that this would be a realistic option in my opinion!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Unfortunately I don't see goulburn as a real option, they just don't have the player numbers to participate in the John I Dent. The only real option I could see would be a club out of Wagga, whether that is a stand alone club like Waratahs or Ag or they form a new club and draw players from all the clubs in Wagga. I can see how there might be some resistance to that from current clubs there but if it is done right it could be a way of keeping good players in Wagga and providing a pathway to NRC and super rugby for their best players. There at so many players in Wagga and southern inland that this would be a realistic option in my opinion!

Morning Grant,

I agree with your point re Goulburn, however the Wagga solution doesn't have legs either in my opinion.

This has been done in the past with a SIRU team and we were competitive with the Uni-North's and East's at the time. From memory this was a part of the trial round in the mid-2000's.

As with all country clubs, travel is the killer and combined with the much higher standard in Canberra, our players don't have the level of fitness to match it with the ACT clubs. We also don't have the coaching or development programs in place that are required for Premier Rugby.

My thoughts are that ACT need to look within to find a better balance within the local comp. I played for East's in 2002 and concur that they are a frustrating organisation that has been very badly managed for a long time. Maybe East's aren't the answer? Could Tuggies support a second stream?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Also, would the ACT clubs cope with travelling to SIRU every second week? That's a big hit to any clubs budget!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Morning Grant,

I agree with your point re Goulburn, however the Wagga solution doesn't have legs either in my opinion.

This has been done in the past with a SIRU team and we were competitive with the Uni-North's and East's at the time. From memory this was a part of the trial round in the mid-2000's.

As with all country clubs, travel is the killer and combined with the much higher standard in Canberra, our players don't have the level of fitness to match it with the ACT clubs. We also don't have the coaching or development programs in place that are required for Premier Rugby.

My thoughts are that ACT need to look within to find a better balance within the local comp. I played for East's in 2002 and concur that they are a frustrating organisation that has been very badly managed for a long time. Maybe East's aren't the answer? Could Tuggies support a second stream?
I don't think you are giving your comp enough credit, I don't think a rep or club team would win the comp in the first few years but given the right program and support just the amount players playing the game there would make them more than competitive. It was trailed in the old preseason comp and from what I remember they were certainly competitive matches, imagine what a few seasons in our comp would do to those players!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Also, would the ACT clubs cope with travelling to SIRU every second week? That's a big hit to any clubs budget!
ACT clubs would only need to make the trip once a year, it would be more a challenge for the Wagga based team but they would be used to a bit of travel for games, the Brumbies might need to throw in some support but it would be money better spent than all the money wasted at Easts over the past decade!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't think you are giving your comp enough credit, I don't think a rep or club team would win the comp in the first few years but given the right program and support just the amount players playing the game there would make them more than competitive. It was trailed in the old preseason comp and from what I remember they were certainly competitive matches, imagine what a few seasons in our comp would do to those players!
I take your point, however I have seen that program in action and it was a very big ask for all involved.

The litmus test will be this weekend vs NSW Country at Canberra Stadium.

There are plenty of players out here who would be strong second graders and fringe first graders with some of our guys being regular first graders.

The issue that I see is the fitness and conditioning. We have plenty of skilful players here but they don't play that level of rugby often enough to compete consistently.

I'm sure that a SIRU team would be competitive but at what cost? Those in the Riverina may remember the Wagga Tigers experiment in the ACTAFL that failed and the Tigers are only just starting to recover. That's not to say that it can't happen but it's a huge effort and I don't know that we are resourced for that.

Do Tuggies have an interest in funding?

Status
Not open for further replies.