• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hyne missed 3 games having played for the brumbies on July 2, so he missed that games for Vikings and their last two games. Worth noting Daniel Penca missed the first 5 games of the season and was a single point behind. Having three blokes all so close didn't help any of the Qbn players as they were all taking points off each other which I would say makes the achievement of Ryan and OJ even more impressive.

That's right I forgot Penca missed games at the start of the year. Pretty unbelievable achievment for QBN to get three backrowers all so close together like that.

I think it's only fitting that the McDougal medal race would be so close. Given that the premiership race was so close this year as well.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Out of the wood work I will send you my account details.
Here is the full list
CANBERRA RUGBY BEST AND FAIREST
MacDougall Medal: Ben Hyne (Tuggeranong), OJ Noa (Queanbeyan), Ryan Jones (Queanbeyan)
ACT women's sevens player of the year: Georgia O'Neill (Uni-Norths)
Coach of the year: Dan Atkins (Gungahlin)
Highest point-scorer: Pedro Rolando (Royals)
Highest try-scorer: Jamie Kotz (Gungahlin)
Volunteer of the year: Deon Norval (Uni-Norths)
Club Championship: Tuggeranong Vikings
First division club championship: Hall Bushrangers
Monaro representative player of the year: Leighton Bates (Cooma)
ACT under-20s player of the year: Tyrel Lomax (Tuggeranong)
First division best and fairest: Michael Nicholas (Gungahlin)
Second division best and fairest: Andy Goslett (Bungendore)
Anderson trophy for sportsmanship: Ben McGee (Gungahlin)
HS Quinn trophy for services to rugby: Jason Smith (Uni-Norths)
Referee of the year: James Morris

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know where dean oakman-hunt finished in the medal count, given the preference for him at NRC and brumbies squads I would of thought he'd be up there?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Does anyone know where dean oakman-hunt finished in the medal count, given the preference for him at NRC and brumbies squads I would of thought he'd be up there?

Haha I like it. I guess you could also ask where Penca finished up? I've long been hearing Penca is the best backrower in comp but this result suggests he isn't even among the top two backrowers in QBN - ouch!

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Haha I like it. I guess you could also ask where Penca finished up? I've long been hearing Penca is the best backrower in comp but this result suggests he isn't even among the top two backrowers in QBN - ouch!
Considering he finished one point behind the three winners having played 4 less games than the other two whites players suggests how good he is!

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
image.png

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Considering he finished one point behind the three winners having played 4 less games than the other two whites players suggests how good he is!

Or that all three QBN backrowers aren't as good as Hyne given he played less games again. I guess the final premiership table probably reflects that overall the Tuggies players were stronger than the Q-town lads in 2016.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Or that all three QBN backrowers aren't as good as Hyne given he played less games again. I guess the final premiership table probably reflects that overall the Tuggies players were stronger than the Q-town lads in 2016.
I would not disagree with that, as a collective tuggeranongs players were better players. Penca played less games than hyne and scored more points per game. I think hyne is the pick of them, and our boys let a great opportunity to beat them without him slip. I think that came down to Thompson, he was so good in the finals and his guidance around the field I believe was the difference!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)

It's good to see. I'm a big fan of the kooks and griffs. No doubt Vikings have smashed it off the field to not only be the powerhouse locally but I imagine one of (if not the most) successful rugby club in the world in terms of financial success. I imagine the Vikes must go a fair way to bank rolling the comp but I have never been a fan of a club side name flowing through to the rep teams. I suspect if Vikings wanted to dig in the rep teams would still be Viking in name and colours but it shows a bit of class to give it up and let the kooks and griffs return. Just my 2 cents.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's good to see. I'm a big fan of the kooks and griffs. No doubt Vikings have smashed it off the field to not only be the powerhouse locally but I imagine one of (if not the most) successful rugby club in the world in terms of financial success. I imagine the Vikes must go a fair way to bank rolling the comp but I have never been a fan of a club side name flowing through to the rep teams. I suspect if Vikings wanted to dig in the rep teams would still be Viking in name and colours but it shows a bit of class to give it up and let the kooks and griffs return. Just my 2 cents.

I think he was sarcastically referring to only 1 Vikings player being picked in the Griffins squad

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ryan Jones must of been unable to play for the Vikings/Griffins due to not being selected in either side - anyone have any idea if this is the case? Considering he was the form 6 all year - must be something?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
What thoughts on the player from SIRU getting a spot? Initially I said to myself "self...its all about development". Then it began to look more like an encouragement award that you give to u-11's. Even if the guy is an absolute standout, and to be honest I have no idea, the comp is essentially 3rd and 4th grade. If he has skill and the desire to go further then I believe he should be trying for prem div. That means a certain amount of sacrifice eg. like playing in or around Canberra. The flip side is that a player who perhaps may have made those sacrifices and is playing 1st grade, has missed out. Just a thought...

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
What thoughts on the player from SIRU getting a spot? Initially I said to myself "self.its all about development". Then it began to look more like an encouragement award that you give to u-11's. Even if the guy is an absolute standout, and to be honest I have no idea, the comp is essentially 3rd and 4th grade. If he has skill and the desire to go further then I believe he should be trying for prem div. That means a certain amount of sacrifice eg. like playing in or around Canberra. The flip side is that a player who perhaps may have made those sacrifices and is playing 1st grade, has missed out. Just a thought.

So... Angus Le Lievre is more than capable of playing in the Griffins. Was more than capable playing with the Western Sydney Rams development side last season (same comp) and more than comfortable in the Shute Shield for west Harbour last season. Where I believe he was their leading point scorer.

On a side note. Southern inland is a fully affiliated ACT competition. Not just part of the catchment zone.

The guy is a Physio. Finished uni and moved home (wagga) as he got a job there.
Trust me. Having seen enough of both competitions he wouldn't have an issue sliding into the John I Dent.

From what i understand he will be there next season anyway.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks Maulalltheway. Like I said, I have never seen him play and will trust you that he has the goods.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Southern Inland comp is a tough comp - yes the quality of players may vary abit more than say 1st grade in Canberra - i.e you might get a handful of guys that could easily slot into John I Dent in a side but then a few that would be 2nd/3rd grade level in Canberra.

I have played against some of the Southern Inland players at rep level and they are really good rugby players - big, strong, fast, skillful - if clubs like Easts are looking at recruiting I would be looking to comps like Southern Inland to bring in guys. . . .

Much respect for the Southern Inland comp. . . .

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have played against some of the Southern Inland players at rep level and they are really good rugby players - big, strong, fast, skillful - if clubs like Easts are looking at recruiting I would be looking to comps like Southern Inland to bring in guys

Southern Inland under 12's probably compare more favourably to the ACT under 12s than the Southern Inland seniors to the ACT seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.