• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Easts Colts Squad looked the goods but noticed a few players were missing like Nick Saunders, Ethan Zissler, Jacob Abel (first grade this year maybe?) Kelepi Baba, Neil Haron, Oliver Clinch, Andrew Whittle (injured?) Plus a few imports ive noticed Lolotonga brothers and Simon Aiono

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WHAT....importing players...surely not.

ACTRugbyInsider

Stan Wickham (3)
Liam Bilstin and Rhys Morcom were both brought down from NT by Damien Tyson as well as Thomas Watego who is now playing colts for Vikings

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Liam Bilstin and Rhys Morcom were both brought down from NT by Damien Tyson as well as Thomas Watego who is now playing colts for Vikings

So are you telling me Easts have attracted a young bloke down from NT and somehow he has ended up at Vikings? How did that happen?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
So are you telling me Easts have attracted a young bloke down from NT and somehow he has ended up at Vikings? How did that happen?

The boy at Vikings actually came down last year and went to Erindale College and played for Vikings u18s, so a natural progression to Vikings Colts, whilst the other two have come down this year to play Colts with Easts

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
The boy at Vikings actually came down last year and went to Erindale College and played for Vikings u18s, so a natural progression to Vikings Colts, whilst the other two have come down this year to play Colts with Easts

That seems fair enough. It would have been outrageous if Vikings had some how stolen a talent from a struggling club but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Good luck to him and Vikings.

ACTRugbyInsider

Stan Wickham (3)
He played trials for Easts Colts then left to Vikings U18 that season because he made friends with Vainuu Solofa at school

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Its just a dangerous circle to be in at the moment - you have young guys who want to play rugby and may be linked to a weaker club but then if they can see there is a possible chance of them not playing due to that club not having a colts side/or they may end of stuck in the lower grade > then they go to one of the stronger clubs where they know there will be rugby played > but then in turn making that weak club weaker - but then more-than likely being stuck in the lower grades at the stronger club anyway due to the huge number of young guys wanting a spot in that colts.

I just can't see how the struggling sides come back from lack of numbers in the lower grades/colts - once guys have lost that interest its extremely hard to re-build.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Weekend Predictions:

Eagles V Whites @ Nicholls

The draw this year must be very similar to last year because this is where Queanbeyan lost this game at Nicholls last year in the 2nd round and had a number of injuries during the game from memory.

Queanbeyan last week were a strong, skilful side but need to be more physical upfront - they were dominated at scrum time and if not fixed could be their undoing in 2017.

Brumbies have the BYE this weekend so I would expect players like Andrew Smith, the Fainga'a brothers to be playing for Queanbeyan this weekend.

Eagles should be a stronger side this year than last - they have the likes of Hawke and Sinoti (from Wests/played for Canberra Vikings) in this year + possibly some of their Brumbies in due to the BYE.

Hard game to pick but going with the loyalty and will say Whites by 3

Royals V Uni-Norths @ Phillip

Have no idea what either club will look like this year - hearing rumours Royals are struggling and not much has changed at Uni-Norths.

I think Royals my have the experience to get up in this one - so Royals by 5-8

Wests V Easts @ Jamison

Wests were strong last year - as normal they are a big physical side, but may have abit more finishing power this year - mixed in with well drilled set piece.

Only thing that could impact Wests this year is that they seem to of put all their eggs in one 1st Grade basket - throughout the lower grades I think they will struggle and if 1st Grade get a couple of key injuries it could impact them greatly.

As I have not seen Easts this year I can not comment too much but looking at some of the scores in the Vikings game last week across the grades I can't see too much has changed but they have a lot of heart so always worth a couple of points.

Wests by 12-15

Tuggeranong - BYE

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also saw that Iziah Tittor played No.10 for the Vikings on the weekend - has this kid always been with the Vikings or was he with another club last year?

May of been a colt last year for the Vikings. . .

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also saw that Iziah Tittor played No.10 for the Vikings on the weekend - has this kid always been with the Vikings or was he with another club last year?

May of been a colt last year for the Vikings.

I do recall him running around with the Vikings last year...not sure about previous to that however

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some names missing from the vikings that readers were giving wraps to last year; Sam Giltrap, Nick Murry, Siope Neata.
Anyone with knowledge of their whereabouts ?

michaelschirripa19

Frank Row (1)
Hi guys,

I'm the community rugby media inter this season at the Brumbies and I'll be covering the John I Dent Cup this season. I've written the review for the round 1 fixtures and after round 1 I really like the looks of winger Angus Le Lievre and fullback Mitch Douch for the whites and I'm a big fan of colts graduate Cameron Holt for the Vikings. Easts look more improved this season, wests were gutsy in defeat and tough to break down, Vikings always look good and Queanbeyan looked the goods but they need to play for the full 80.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
He's got the moves and the soundtrack- what's left to manage?

In all seriousness I hope he isn't lost to rugby - he is a talent!

It was more the hanging onto his shirt-tail for the free beers and entry into sleazy nightclubs.

Im with you though in hoping hes still around. As No 8 stated last year, if he can somehow get into the Brumbies system, he will be a star.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Sam Giltrap had a great game at F/Back for Second grade Vikings this last week against Easts and then benched for first Grade and had a run with approx 15 mins to go. He's had a few injuries leading into this season. Nick Murray is out with concussion from trial game. Tittor was injured for a large part of last year and came on at 10 for Isaac Thompson.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some names missing from the vikings that readers were giving wraps to last year; Sam Giltrap, Nick Murry, Siope Neata.

Anyone with knowledge of their whereabouts ?

As Charlie Brown said above Giltrap played 2nd grade on the weekend and from the looks of things scored a couple of tries.

He is the sort of player I would like to see move on from Vikings to say Royals - so he can play 1st Grade week in week out - he has the potential to be really good - but even if he is having blinders every week in 2nd grade its going to be very hard to move onto higher honours.

How often do you see these great players stuck in 2nd grade year in year out trying to crack it - then before you know it they are hanging up the boots or playing social footy in 4th grade because they can't be bothered.

For me he is a 1st grader and needs to be at a club that can show off his skills at the highest level.

Giltrap if you're reading mate - move clubs haha

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sam Giltrap had a great game at F/Back for Second grade Vikings this last week against Easts and then benched for first Grade and had a run with approx 15 mins to go. He's had a few injuries leading into this season. Nick Murray is out with concussion from trial game. Tittor was injured for a large part of last year and came on at 10 for Isaac Thompson.

Well thats good news that he is still around and able to come back after injury and play well straight up. Might even get along to Tuggers next game. Got to admit, hes one of those players that i just really enjoy watching as he appears to have the full range of skills and would love to see him at the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.