• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a short update to keep the Canberra competition in the public eye.

Tuggeranong Vikings minor premiers 2023. Gungahlin Eagles finished second with a string of late wins. Royals and Wests finished in third and fourth.

Eagles defeated Vikings 35 - 24 in the major semi and progress to the Grand Final,

Royals defeated Wests with a try after the bell. Royals to progress to the Preliminary Final where they'll meet the Vikings for a spot in the Grand Final.

Vikings coached by Nic Scrivener in what I understand will be his final year of coaching. Players included Darcy Swain and Lachlan Lonergan.

Eagles coached by Lachy MacCaffery in his first year of coaching. Will be worth following his progress in coming years. Players included Tom Ross, Jahrome Brown, Pete Samu and Corey Toole.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Vikings prevailed over Royals in the preliminary final, 42 - 29, and will meet the Eagles in the Grand Final next week. Teams will be without their Aus A representatives, as they were this weekend. Interesting to see that Liam Bowron, No 2/16 for the U20s this year, played No 7 for the Royals.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just a short update to keep the Canberra competition in the public eye.

Tuggeranong Vikings minor premiers 2023. Gungahlin Eagles finished second with a string of late wins. Royals and Wests finished in third and fourth.

Eagles defeated Vikings 35 - 24 in the major semi and progress to the Grand Final,

Royals defeated Wests with a try after the bell. Royals to progress to the Preliminary Final where they'll meet the Vikings for a spot in the Grand Final.

Vikings coached by Nic Scrivener in what I understand will be his final year of coaching. Players included Darcy Swain and Lachlan Lonergan.

Eagles coached by Lachy MacCaffery in his first year of coaching. Will be worth following his progress in coming years. Players included Tom Ross, Jahrome Brown, Pete Samu and Corey Toole.
Do you know who was playing at 12 for Vikings against Gungahlin in the major semi?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gungahlin Eagles prevailed over the Tuggeranong Vikings 33 - 22 in the JID Grand Final.

Congratulations to Lachie McCaffery in his first attempt at coaching at this level, I believe.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

Media Release: Penrith to depart the John I Dent Cup for 2024​

Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 4:21 PM

After two seasons playing in the BentSpoke John I Dent Cup, the Penrith Emus have been omitted for the 2024 competition.

The ACT & Southern NSW Rugby Union keenly supported Penrith’s inclusion in the competition in 2022 at a pivotal time for the club, in what continues to be a positive and respectful relationship. Penrith's initial move to the ACT competition was also unanimously supported by the clubs, with a commitment to fielding teams across 1st Grade, Women, 2nd Grade and Colts.

Club Presidents recently expressed concerns around Penrith’s performances after some big losses this year. Including a 99-17 defeat by Gungahlin in Round 5, followed by a 111-17 loss to Vikings in Round 7 and a 71-0 victory by Wests in Round 14. Heightened by the mid-season withdrawal of their second grade team. With the logistics of a team based at Nepean Rugby Park playing every second week in Canberra proving incredibly difficult. In the end there was a loss of support from the John I Dent Cup clubs for Penrith’s continuation next season.

The Emus have failed to chalk up a victory in first grade in two years, but their perseverance has been undeniable. In Colts, the Emus finished the regular season in sixth place with only three wins to their name, while in the Women’s competition the Emus recorded seven victories to finish fifth.

Both the Colts and Women’s programs have been the shining light in their two seasons in Canberra, with both making the Finals in 2022.

ACT&SNSWRU Officials have the utmost admiration for Penrith President Gary McColl, Club Secretary Sue Andrews and Head Coach Ronnie Patea and their unwavering commitment to the Emus. Their endless dedication to the players and the continuing determination shown for the club is remarkable.

The relationship between the Emus and the Canberra based clubs have also been positive, with all developing a valued association with the Western Sydney club.

The ACT&SNSWRU is keen to maintain a meaningful connection, particularly in the pathway space where several Penrith players have represented the ACT Brumbies U19’s, ACT Brumbies Women and ACT & Southern NSW Kestrels and Griffins at the recent Australian Rugby Shield in Brisbane. With key players continuing to feature in the ACT Brumbies Academy.

The door remains open and the opportunity for a return to the Canberra based competition would wholeheartedly be considered in the future.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
They need to go back to first division subbies where they were more than competitive. I have no idea if they pay players but that would be the main issue getting them back into subbies. Imagine the local derbies with Blue Mountains...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They need to go back to first division subbies where they were more than competitive. I have no idea if they pay players but that would be the main issue getting them back into subbies. Imagine the local derbies with Blue Mountains...

Would they have the numbers for First Division? Need 4 Grades + Colts U21 for First Division Subies. That article said they were down to 1 Senior side halfway through the competition. Obviously reduced travel might make a positive difference to numbers, but the attrition from losing players who want to get paid?

Might benefit Two Blues, who were struggling everywhere but First Grade this year.

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Would they have the numbers for First Division? Need 4 Grades + Colts U21 for First Division Subies. That article said they were down to 1 Senior side halfway through the competition. Obviously reduced travel might make a positive difference to numbers, but the attrition from losing players who want to get paid?

Might benefit Two Blues, who were struggling everywhere but First Grade this year.
they should plug the gap in the shute shield where the Hunter dont have teams. For example the Emus 1stXV could play in the 3rd grade comp etc... whilst EMUs colts 1stXV play in the 2nd grade colts comp. This could work until they build up the strength to go back to 1st Grade in Sydney where they should be playing.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
What do the catchments and player base/demographics of the canberra teams look like?

Probably best to read over this webpage and click on the boxes to see the list of clubs located in the ACT and Southern NSW that make up each level.

FYI
John Dent is 1st grade
Spence Cup is 2nd grade
1st Div 1st Grade is 3rd grade
1st Div 2nd Grade is 4th grade
ACT Vets is Colts
Canberra Suburban Cup (similar to Subbies in Sydney)

Outside of Canberra you have
South Coast Monaro
Southern Inland (SIRU) 1st 2nd and 3rd grades

No idea on player base/demographics.

There are some under 18's from Sydney clubs/school comps (in 2023) heading there next year to compete in their Colts competition. For example scroll thru the Queanbeyan Whites facebook page to view their new signings.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I went to Uni in Wagga and it used to be a fairly healthy 3 Grades for everyone + Colts for the Riverina.

I don't see a Colts comp? And I see Waratahs no longer even have Third Grade. Bit of a shame.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
I went to Uni in Wagga and it used to be a fairly healthy 3 Grades for everyone + Colts for the Riverina.

I don't see a Colts comp? And I see Waratahs no longer even have Third Grade. Bit of a shame.
Pfitzy

Yeh no Colts that I saw being run by the SIRU in 2023.

FYI Bar TV Sports do a live stream of their senior games

They also cover the John Dent Cup

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Also what happened to easts? and by dempgraphics I meant where do there clubs draw their players from? certain schools? areas etc

3 of the more successful Canberra rugby schools traditionally head to

St Edmunds - to Tuggerong Vikings or Queanbeyan Whites
Marist College - to Canberra Royals
Daramarlan - to Gungahlin Eagles

Regarding Easts

Last edited: