• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
i was aiming for more replies like rudderless's reply.

Well, it's a big question... like, what areas and schools do all the Shute Shield clubs draw their players from?

Having said that, all of the John I Dent Cup teams represent an area in some way...

Tuggeranong... represent Tuggeranong, located to the south.

Queanbeyan... Queanbeyan, the "city" on the east of the ACT's border.

Gungahlin (formerly Daramalan RUFC)... Gungahlin, located to the north.

Royals... based in Weston, south west area of the ACT.

Wests... Belconnen, north/north-west ACT.

Uni-Norths... an amalgamation of Norths (which used to be based around Belconnen, formerly the most northern part of the ACT) and the Uni clubs, now located at the ANU.

Easts... no longer around... but based in Griffith in the very lucrative inner-south area of diplomats and high ranking public servants near Parliament House.

There's many schools that compete in the junior grades in the ACT alongside the aforementioned clubs...

Marist and St Edmunds probably the most well known... and then there's Grammar, Radford, and not sure if Daramalan as a school still compete.

Eddies, Marist and Grammar will generally poach all the best rugby talent after Under 12's and dominate those high school years in juniors.

And despite it being more well known for its rugby league players, quite a few rugby players also went through Erindale's sports program located just down the road from the Vikings home in Tuggeranong.

I'm sure there's probably more, but I don't know and haven't listed in the ACT for a little while now... the Vikings team above my junior grade almost entirely went to Padua, which no longer exists. That team were a group of genetic freaks, most of whom probably didn't continue playing after high school. And Wanniassa High also had a decent number of players in my day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Will Easts return to the John I Dent Cup? And does the club have a future at all? | Riotact

When Easts beat the Gungahlin Eagles just over 12 months ago in the final round of the 2019 John I… the-riotact.com

Sounds familiar: getting a junior pathway is what clubs need.

Clubs in Sydney who have a long history, local junior alliances, and access to facilities (sometimes one feeds another) will generally do OK.

Starting a club, though? That's a tough gig. Restarting it might be even tougher...