• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jonathan Kaplan retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kaplan will go out on a high getting the 2013 CC final. Sad to see one of the best we had in history retiring.

SARugby
CC Final referees, 1939-2012
22 Oct 2013

Jonathan Kaplan is one of 26 referees to referee a Currie Cup Final since the first one in 1939. This Final between Western Province and Sharks at Newlands will be his sixth Final.
South Africa's provincial teams first played in a competition in 1889. The Currie Cup was added in 1892 but there was not a Final till 1939 and then Finals were sporadic till 1968 since when there has been a Final each year.
Refereeing the Currie Cup Final is cherished by referees as it is cherished by players who play in it. After all there is only one a year.
Eddie Hofmeyr, Ralph Burmeister, Steve Strydom, Freek Burger and Mark Lawrence refereed more Tests than Currie Cup Finals. André Watson is the only referee in South Africa to be appointed to referee seven Currie Cup Finals. He refereed 27 tests, only seven finals. Tappe Henning refereed 20 tests, one final. Jonathan Kaplan has refereed more Tests than any other referee in the whole history of Test rugby, 68 in all, but only five finals. Mark Lawrence refereed 27 Tests and just two Currie Cup Finals. Gert Bezuidenhout referee three Tests and two Currie Cup Finals.
On the other hand Jimmy Smith-Belton refereed no Tests but three Currie Cup finals while his contemporary and Eastern Province colleague, Frans Muller, refereed three Tests and no Currie Cup finals.
Test referees appointed to the final: Eddie Hofmeyr, Chris Ackermann, Ralph Burmeister, Bertie Strasheim, Gert Bezuidenhout, Piet Robbertse, Steve Strydom, Justus Moolman, Johan Gouws, Freek Burger, Stef Neethling, Tappe Henning, André Watson, Jonathan Kaplan, Shaun Veldsman, Mark Lawrence, Craig Joubert who has refereed one Super Rugby Final, one World Cup Final and one Currie Cup Final and Jaco Peyper.
Referees who refereed the Final but never a Test: Jimmy Smith-Belton, Boy Louw, Carl Basson, Albie Henkes, Bowden Coombe, Fonnie van der Vyver, Ben Calitz and Cassie Carstens
It is no wonder that refereeing a Final is so special for a referee, as indeed it is for players.
When first there were finals, the visiting team was given a panel of three referees from whom to choose the referee for the match.
The first final was played at Newlands in 1939, Western Province vs Transvaal. The referee was Boy Louw, a famous Western Province Springbok turned referee. It was the year after he had retired from rugby. Transvaal was captained by his brother and fellow-Springbok Fanie. Transvaal won, and there were no complaints about the referee.
Piet Robbertse of Eastern Transvaal was the first unattached referee to referee a Currie Cup Final. That was in 1973 when Northern Transvaal played Transvaal at Loftus Versfeld - to retain the names of those times. Uniquely Robbertse was also the last referee to referee a Final with his own province (Eastern Transvaal) involved - until Craig Joubert, that is. Joubert, after all, was living in Durban, and nobody seemed to worry about it at all, as appointments increasingly were a matter of merit and not dependent on residence.
Jonathan Kaplan lives in Cape Town and referees a Final in Cape Town. It clearly is not a problem. In fact if all the referee's biography was taken into account to measure pure unattachment, the only Final which Kaplan could have refereed would have been Free State vs Griquas, which is not going to happen. After all Kaplan was born in Durban ad was a member of the Natal Society at one stage. He was educated in Johannesburg and the first society he joined was the Transvaal Referees' Society. He did his army training in Pretoria and was a member of the Northern Transvaal Referees' Society. He studied at UCT and was a member of the Western Province Referees' Society - as he is again after his return to the Mother City. In any case a referee's background is becoming less and less important in making an appointment.
The referees of Eastern Transvaal (a.k.a. Gauteng Falcons, now Valke) have refereed more Currie Cup Finals than the referees of any other province.
Referees for Currie Cup Finals
1939: Western Province vs Transvaal: Boy Louw (Western Province)
1946: Northern Transvaal vs Western Province: Carl Basson (Northern Transvaal)
1947: Western Province vs Transvaal: Albie Henkes (Western Province)
1950: Transvaal vs Western Province: Eddie Hofmeyr (Transvaal)
1952: Boland vs Transvaal: Chris Ackermann (Boland)
1954: Western Province vs Northern Transvaal: Ralph Burmeister (Western Province)
1956: Natal vs Northern Transvaal: Bowden Coombe (Natal)
1968: Northern Transvaal vs Transvaal: Bertie Strasheim (Northern Transvaal)
1969: Northern Transvaal vs Western Province: Fonnie van der Vyver (Northern Transvaal)
1970: Griqualand West vs Northern Transvaal: Ben Calitz (Griqualand West)
1971: Transvaal vs Northern Transvaal: Gert Bezuidenhout (Transvaal)
1972: Eastern Transvaal vs Transvaal: Piet Robbertse (Eastern Transvaal)
1973: Northern Transvaal vs Transvaal: Piet Robbertse (Eastern Transvaal)
1974: Northern Transvaal vs Transvaal: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1975: Orange Free State vs Northern Transvaal : Justus Moolman (Eastern Province)
1976: Orange Free State vs Western Province: Gert Bezuidenhout (Transvaal)
1977: Northern Transvaal vs Orange Free State: Jimmy Smith-Belton (Eastern Province)
1978: Orange Free State vs Northern Transvaal: Gert Bezuidenhout (Transvaal)
1979: Western Province vs Northern Transvaal: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1980: Northern Transvaal vs Western Province: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1981: Northern Transvaal vs Orange Free State: Johan Gouws (Eastern Transvaal)
1982: Western Province vs Northern Transvaal: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1983: Northern Transvaal vs Western Province: Johan Gouws (Eastern Transvaal)
1984: Western Province vs Natal: Cassie Carstens (Northern Transvaal)
1985: Western Province vs Northern Transvaal: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1986: Western Province vs Transvaal: Steve Strydom (Orange Free State)
1987: Transvaal vs Northern Transvaal: Freek Burger (Western Province)
1988: Northern Transvaal vs Western Province: Jimmy Smith-Belton (Eastern Province)
1989: Western Province vs Northern Transvaal: Jimmy Smith-Belton (Eastern Province)
1990: Northern Transvaal vs Natal: Freek Burger (Western Province)
1991: Northern Transvaal vs Transvaal: Freek Burger (Western Province)
1992: Transvaal vs Natal: Freek Burger (Western Province)
1993: Natal vs Transvaal: Freek Burger (Western Province)
1994: Orange Free State vs Transvaal: Stef Neethling (Boland)
1995: Natal vs Western Province: Tappe Henning (Northern Transvaal)
1996: Transvaal vs Natal: André Watson (Eastern Transvaal)
1997: Western Province vs Free State: André Watson (Gauteng Falcons)
1998: Blue Bulls vs Western Province: André Watson (Gauteng Falcons)
1999: Natal vs Lions: André Watson (Gauteng Falcons)
2000: Natal vs Western Province: André Watson (Falcons)
2001: Western Province vs Natal: André Watson (Falcons)
2002: Lions vs Blue Bulls: Jonathan Kaplan (Boland)
2003: Blue Bulls vs Sharks: Shaun Veldsman (Boland)
2004: Blue Bulls vs Free State Cheetahs: André Watson (Falcons)
2005: Blue Bulls vs Free State Cheetahs: Jonathan Kaplan (Boland)
2006: Blue Bulls vs Cheetahs: Jonathan Kaplan (Boland)
2007: Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions: Mark Lawrence (Mpumalanga)
2008: Sharks vs Blue Bulls: Jonathan Kaplan (Western Province)
2009: Blue Bulls vs Free State Cheetahs: Jonathan Kaplan (Western Province)
2010: Sharks vs Western Province: Craig Joubert (KwaZulu Natal)
2011: Golden Lions vs Sharks: Mark Lawrence (Mpumalanga)
2012: Sharks vs Western Province: Jaco Peyper (Free State)
2013: Western Province vs Sharks: Jonathan Kaplan (Western Province)
Number of Finals per Referee
7. André Watson
6. Steve Strydom, Jonathan Kaplan
5. Freek Burger
3. Jimmy Smith-Belton, Gert Bezuidenhout
2. Piet Robbertse, Johan Gouws, Mark Lawrence
1. Boy Louw, Carl Basson, Albie Henkes, Eddie Hofmeyr, Chris Ackermann, Ralph Burmeister, Bowden Coombe, Bertie Strasheim, Fonnie van der Vyver, Ben Calitz, Justus Moolman, Cassie Carstens, Stef Neethling, Tappe Henning, Shaun Veldsman, Craig Joubert, Jaco Peyper
Name changes

Transvaal became the Gauteng Lions, later the Golden Lions, then the Lions and then again the Golden Lions
Northern Transvaal became the Blue Bulls.
Eastern Transvaal became the Gauteng Falcons, then Falcons/Valke, now Valke.
Orange Free State became Free State, then Free State Cheetahs.
Mpumalanga was formerly South Eastern Transvaal and then South Eastern Transvaal and Lowveld.
Natal is now KwaZulu Natal
First referee to referee a Final: Boy Louw
First unattached in a Final: Piet Robbertse
Most Finals: André Watson
Most Province Representation in Finals
11 - Eastern Transvaal
10 - Western Province
7 - Boland, Orange Free State
5 - Northern Transvaal
4 - Eastern Province, Transvaal
2 - Natal, Mpumalanga
1 - Griqualand West

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Name changes

Transvaal became the Gauteng Lions, later the Golden Lions, then the Lions and then again the Golden Lions
Northern Transvaal became the Blue Bulls.
Eastern Transvaal became the Gauteng Falcons, then Falcons/Valke, now Valke.
Orange Free State became Free State, then Free State Cheetahs.
Mpumalanga was formerly South Eastern Transvaal and then South Eastern Transvaal and Lowveld.
Natal is now KwaZulu Natal

A bonus to your news is the definitive guide to recent name changes in Saffer CC rugby.

It is hard to keep on top of who is who and who are they now, when reading Rugby Histories and recounts from previous (olden days to the young folk) tours.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe you played bad?
Pretty sure the Tahs general win rate was better than 6.25%, PB. ;)
For whatever reason, and I don't have any idea what it is, our win % under him was just dire. It was like bad voodoo every time he reffed the Tahs.
I never thought it was in any way willful on his part, but it was a lot of games over a decent period, so I get why people had a "thing" about him.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Maybe you played bad?

Sometimes. But I certainly had a sinking feeling of impending doom whenever he was assigned, although we won a few he reffed in the last few years.

Anyway, it was a lighthearted remark -- always thought he did a great job in the test arena (and whenever the Tahs weren't playing). Not many of the current crop are of the same standard, that's for sure.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
PaarlBok
Earlier in the year a mate told me he was forced to retire in 2013.
Any truth?

I kinda like him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok
Earlier in the year a mate told me he was forced to retire in 2013.
Any truth?

I kinda like him.
I dunno about that one. Kaplan is a very strict type of ref and the type you dont want to get your team on the wrong side. Probably could be better with his players management but he sure know his rulings specially scrum time. The basic rules in rugby has always been that players have to adopt to the ref rulings if you dont its goodbye.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why is that. Kaplan has always been a good one, the best for a long time and still in excellent form.
Geez Paarl, it takes away one of Waratahs excuse for losing. hell they would of won at least 5 S15 titles if Kaplan had not been reffing, have a couple of Wallaby supporters who also swear he hates all Australian teams etc etc etc. :confused:
Personally I always thought he a pretty handy ref myself.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I dunno about that one. Kaplan is a very strict type of ref and the type you dont want to get your team on the wrong side. Probably could be better with his players management but he sure know his rulings specially scrum time. The basic rules in rugby has always been that players have to adopt to the ref rulings if you dont its goodbye.

I think SANZAR decided he could have 1 more year in 2013 but he was not going to make it to the next World Cup. He was a very good referee whose performances have dropped back a bit over the the last few years which is not surprising given that he turns 47 shortly. It would appear to be a generous but fitting tribute for his final appointment.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Geez Paarl, it takes away one of Waratahs excuse for losing.
Thats pretty weak form from the Tahs. :( never use the ref excuse when losing. One thing I admire Kaplan a lot is that he always seem to ref week after week. One week he'll do a test, next week he'll do local schoolboy matches just to keep going and thats the way it should be. I also see the current top ref Joubert doing this and show their willingness to share their wealth to the roots of rugby.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Thats pretty weak form from the Tahs. :( never use the ref excuse when losing. One thing I admire Kaplan a lot is that he always seem to ref week after week. One week he'll do a test, next week he'll do local schoolboy matches just to keep going and thats the way it should be. I also see the current top ref Joubert doing this and show their willingness to share their wealth to the roots of rugby.
I have also heard positive comments about Joubert's generosity towards up and coming younger referees.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Without the whistleblowers, there is no game.

We need a steady flow of quality referees coming through. Good on Kaplan for mentoring the future up and coming referees.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)

Cool, thanks.
When I heard that I just assumed it was because SARU were blooding new refs, like Jason and that other guy, think his name is Rasta?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jonathan Kaplan on his day was a sensational referee. Like most rugby lovers I'll keep the praise short, ha-ha. But honestly, a few current referees could learn a lot from Kaplan. Especially getting the measure of players. I saw an interview with Kaplan once where a tour of his house showed all these framed jerseys giving from players to Kaplan thanking him. Some of the biggest rugby lovers I come across are referees, and a lot of that can be attributed to the likes of Andre' Watson, Stu Dickenson and Kaplan.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cool, thanks.
When I heard that I just assumed it was because SARU were blooding new refs, like Jason and that other guy, think his name is Rasta?
Marius van der Westhuizen impressed me lately and got the Sharks vs Cheetah semi. Barry and Peyper are also good young SA refs. dunno about Rasta, still have my doubts over him.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I think SANZAR decided he could have 1 more year in 2013 but he was not going to make it to the next World Cup. He was a very good referee whose performances have dropped back a bit over the the last few years which is not surprising given that he turns 47 shortly. It would appear to be a generous but fitting tribute for his final appointment.

Thing is, he has actually been in pretty good form for the last 12 months. Especially after he announced his retirement, it seems a weight had been lifted and he has been going well.

Nice guy, very intense when he is getting ready for a game but enjoys a joke etc away from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.