• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Junior Gold Youth Sevens Squad for 2013 Youth Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
I have heard that the Sevens squad for the 2013 Youth Olympics to be held in January has been selected and Andrew Kellaway from Scots has apparently made the squad. Any news about other squad members?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently 12 boys have been selected and 3 or 4 shadow players. Due to the participants having to be aged under 18 in 2013 the squad is effectively a schoolboys one.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Australian rugby 7s teams for the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival:
MEN
Ericson Aukafolau (NSW)
Arthur Currie (NSW)
Adrian Delore (NSW)
Lolo Fakaosilea (QLD)
Guy Hamilton (QLD)
Andrew Kellaway (NSW)
Jack McCalman (NSW)
Tepai Meoroa (NSW)
Patolo Toeta (VIC)
Jack Tuttle (QLD)
Bill Valetini (VIC)
Brad Wilkin (QLD)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Australian rugby 7s teams for the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival:
MEN
Ericson Aukafolau (NSW)
Arthur Currie (NSW)
Adrian Delore (NSW)
Lolo Fakaosilea (QLD)
Guy Hamilton (QLD)
Andrew Kellaway (NSW)
Jack McCalman (NSW)
Tepai Meoroa (NSW)
Patolo Toeta (VIC)
Jack Tuttle (QLD)
Bill Valetini (VIC)
Brad Wilkin (QLD)

Plenty of talent there!

TTD given your insight can you give us the NSW NGS squad and the Sydney JGP squad as well?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are a couple of names I do not recognise from previous JGP/NGS discussions. Surprised that ARU have not released the names of the lads on the JGP/NGS programme yet, as both programmes have now been underway for some time in Old Sydney Towne. The parents and participants all know who is involved, but it should not be up to them to "spill the beans".

I have seen about half of these lads around the parks over the past couple of years, and if the rest are as good as the ones I have seen, then they have as good a chance as any of bringing home the bacon.

The raw talent is clearly there. Does rugbydom have the coaches and management team to realise their true potential? Not sure, but we recently sent plenty of talent away to Jnr RWC 2012 and came home with a 7th or 8th IIRC.

Good Luck to the lads. Where is all this happening and when?

Many of these lads will have a rather full passport at the end of this year if they remain injury free assuming that they make the Aust Schoolboys UK/Ireland tour.

G

gilbert15

I think these boys are playing in some sort of round-robin carnival in Sydney next weekend vs other state and club teams.
Hopefully more details will emerge soon so some of us can get along for a summer rugby fix.

Bill McLean (32)
Good to see Eric Aukafolau there! A noted dual coder who is predominantly from rugby.

I know he played HMC in 2011 and nearly made the Parra SGB squad a year young. I believe he was and SJRU rep that same year (as well as this year).

To my bewilderment, during 2011 at the U/16 NSW regional championships he was unwanted by the MWZ team and was quickly snapped up by Laga'aia (2012 SJRU U/17's Ass/Coach) who was coaching the 2011 Babaa's team that year. He had big raps on the lad back then!

Great to see cream finally rise to the top!

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Heard that Scots Andrew Kellaway has dropped out of the squad due to injury and that his replacement is Harry Jones

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
HJ is one of Barker's best. Good luck to the boy from Newport Juniors.

I am sure that he will be an adequate replacement for the Red Flash.

G

gilbert15

This tournament kick's-off on the Friday 18th January 2013 at Riverview College, Sydney, and includes seven other international teams!

G

Gabriella Stopford

Sevens Rugby is a demanding form of the game and requires players to have outstanding skill and physical attributes. I thinks they have great selections this 2013...

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Heard that Scots Andrew Kellaway has dropped out of the squad due to injury and that his replacement is Harry Jones
I believe Kellaway is going to Darwin with Randwick( stallion rugby club) and his Scots coach pulled him out of the ARU programme as he believes the scots programme which is also being used at Randwick is much better and more beneficial than what the ARU is running.
Not sure how true this is but if it did happen the ARU would not be impressed.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe Kellaway is going to Darwin with Randwick( stallion rugby club) and his Scots coach pulled him out of the ARU programme as he believes the scots programme which is also being used at Randwick is much better and more beneficial than what the ARU is running.
Not sure how true this is but if it did happen the ARU would not be impressed.

Representing your country in the Youth Olympics would be a big incentive for any player his age and I'm sure the ARU would know whether what you've stated is factual or if it's an injury issue. I'd be very surprised if he was snubbing the ARU given that there is a rare Oz Schoolboys tour of the UK at year's end and as he also looks like being one of the boys with a future in the game at the professional level

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Kellaway has pulled out of the youth squad and if injured lets see if he plays in Darwin a week later with Stallion rugby club
The head coach is the assistant coach at Scots and believes he is running a better program than the ARU
Lets see what happens in Darwin

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This Saturday the team is playing against a team made up of some of the NSW u20's at Riverview at 3pm

G

gilbert15

the draw is out, sorry i dont know how to link, so....Fri 18th January...game4. 10.36am: Aust vs Tonga, game11 2.16pm: vs China, game 15. 4.06pm vs Japan, game20 6.18pm vs South Africa.
Finals start at 2.14pm on Saturday....

Status
Not open for further replies.