• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Justin Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I understand that this is probably heresy to post here, but I finally watched the ABs/Argie match, and I finally have to come out and say it - after years of one-eyed commentary coming out of NZ, Justin Marshall is probably the most unbiased Kiwi commentator since I can remember (it's all relative, of course).

I wasn't a big fan of him as a player, but I've got to say I've enjoyed his commentary. He's gotta be better than Kearns, Marto, etc.!

Even in the thread about Greyling's suspension it was mentioned that he dared to say that Sir Richie of the Offsides was "interfering with play".

OK, let the slating begin.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I read somewhere the kiwi's hate his commentary.

Can't see why, he's quite fair. He has a few annoying innocuous pet peeves (like deliberate knock-downs) which he'll have a bit of a rant about every now and then but he offers the best level of technical analysis you can expect from any mainstream rugby commentator.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He's gotta be better than Kearns, Marto, etc.!

He's a full division above them.
I am prepared to call him as the best colour man I have heard - certainly in union and probably in league.
And he was an AB I loathed - probably because of his ability, I admit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Roy and HG would do a better call than Marto and Kearns.

In fact in the same vein that a stopped (analogue) clock is more acurate than a working clock that loses 1 second per day, no commentary on a muted picture can be better than a marto/kearns/canno call.

The broken clock is precisely accurate twice a day, where as the other is a better approximation but is some numbers of years between it being precisely accurate.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
He is unbiased, and I think he sees his role as the guy who explains all the intricacies of the game, including the referee decisions. Unfortunately, his knowledge of the laws is tenuous at best, and he doesn't appear to listen to or watch the referee's descriptions of the decisions he is providing expert opinion on.

An example was on the weekend where Peyper gave us a penalty where an Argentinian played the ball whilst on his knees. Peyper made three secondary signals, one where he went down on one knee and motioned the ball being played back, another one where he made the signal for going off feet, and yet another one where he motioned to the Argy penalised to stay on his feet. Despite all this Marshall went on and on about how the penalty was for hands in the ruck, how it was a bit harsh because the ruck hadn't been formed ad nauseum until after Carter had made the kick at goal. Even after seeing 2 further replays of the incident he was still going on about how harsh it was, nearly 90 seconds later. There is being fair and there is not having a clue about what is going on.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He is bloody good.

His future as a top notch commentator looks set.

They heathens up north should start using him for incoming tours and more.

I've also heard some Kiwis moan about him. Hard to believe with the likes of Nisbo and that utterly useless MacCaw-glorifying Smith going around.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He is unbiased, and I think he sees his role as the guy who explains all the intricacies of the game, including the referee decisions. Unfortunately, his knowledge of the laws is tenuous at best, and he doesn't appear to listen to or watch the referee's descriptions of the decisions he is providing expert opinion on.

An example was on the weekend where Peyper gave us a penalty where an Argentinian played the ball whilst on his knees. Peyper made three secondary signals, one where he went down on one knee and motioned the ball being played back, another one where he made the signal for going off feet, and yet another one where he motioned to the Argy penalised to stay on his feet. Despite all this Marshall went on and on about how the penalty was for hands in the ruck, how it was a bit harsh because the ruck hadn't been formed ad nauseum until after Carter had made the kick at goal. Even after seeing 2 further replays of the incident he was still going on about how harsh it was, nearly 90 seconds later. There is being fair and there is not having a clue about what is going on.

All fair points and I see this happening a surprising amount with a variety of commentators.

Maybe they don't watch the same feed as we do? Or maybe it's hard to think on your toes and always have something biting to say, I know I'd um and arr from time to time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All fair points and I see this happening a surprising amount with a variety of commentators.

Maybe they don't watch the same feed as we do? Or maybe it's hard to think on your toes and always have something biting to say, I know I'd um and arr from time to time.
to say nothing of 4 letter words - I predict;)

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on Marshall because he is not the only one who makes mistakes. I just think that because his role in the commentary team is to provide impartial expert comments, he should be better at it than the others. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other examples, but I very often find myself shaking my head at some of the things he says. In his role he compares unfavourably to Rod Kafer in my opinion.

There are a lot of Kiwis that dislike him, and I think some of it goes back to his playing days, some of it because he seems to try a bit too hard to criticise the All Blacks and praise the opposition, and yes, some of it because he dares to not be a cheerleader. He will improve as he gets more experience.

Reactions: BPC

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on Marshall because he is not the only one who makes mistakes. I just think that because his role in the commentary team is to provide impartial expert comments, he should be better at it than the others. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other examples, but I very often find myself shaking my head at some of the things he says. In his role he compares unfavourably to Rod Kafer in my opinion.

There are a lot of Kiwis that dislike him, and I think some of it goes back to his playing days, some of it because he seems to try a bit too hard to criticise the All Blacks and praise the opposition, and yes, some of it because he dares to not be a cheerleader. He will improve as he gets more experience.

Kafe is a great analyst but he is too easily led astray by Kearns and his comments - has there been a match when those 2 have not joked about Keanrs love of a repacked scrum?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nothing wrong with that IMO, I love his comments but that shows he's not completely as dry as a dead dingo's donger

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Well I disagree but I hear where you are coming from.

Long live different perspectives.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom