• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kafe's Chalkboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, definitely. As good as Kafe is, it would also be good to get some other perspectives - but I suppose you would have to be careful who you got. Kafe generally does a great job.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They had an NRL one on Fox Sports which was fairly interesting. Problem is that it has a limited life as there is only so many tactics you can talk for 30 mins to an hour each week without getting repetitive.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What Kafe does isn't really tactics, it's just boring over analysis that anyone who's fairly involved in rugby is bored by. Would be better if he glanced over a team's pattern of play rather than just focussing on one phase/move and critique/praise the execution.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I enjoy Kafe doing it, but laughed my arse off when Cannon had a go at it, he had no idea about the tv screen contraols. He actually gave good comments though.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Having had a go at recording video analysis, it's a shit load easier when you just use 1 example to prove whatever you're saying happens "all the time". Kafe's chalkboard does it all the time.

But don't spread the tactics show idea too much - G&GR wants to do one!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills not liking kafes "chalkboard". May as well turn it into a Gameshow, just get three players with buzzers, kafe plays some footage, pauses it then asks "what happens next?"

Can't everyone see? It's the same analysis!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
p.Tah, I guess you and I don't watch enough rugby?

Me either. I enjoys Kafe's Chalkboard also. What he does is analyse plays. When I watch games live, I guess I watch the game, as opposed to analyse it. I don't always notice the subtle running lines, or how deep or wide or flat or whatever a defensive or attacking line is. I'm too busy actually enjoying the game being played.

In saying that though, I think I would tire of probably more than 15mins a week of it. I would like more that what the Rugby Club show but probably not a whole shows worth. A GaGR one would be excellent! :D

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Kafe is great. alongside Mcardle (sp?) he is the best on the show. Could do without Marto and Kearnsy and I am yet to figure out what cannon offers from a commentary point of view.
Replace cannon with Freier next year and keep timmy horan. three hosts - that's all they need.

J

Jiggles

Not really a fan of Kafe. Besides the fact he comes across as a smug prat with a face you just want to slap, I think his analysis is really just pointing out the obvious.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
I personally really like Kafe's chalkboard. I don't think I could regularly watch a weekly show of just the tactical analysis of a team, but I think the segment should be a bit longer, and have input from more than Kafe. Could do away with some of the other segments (call it like Clarkie???). I watch, play and coach a lot of rugby, even so I've still learned things from Kafe. Like when he was comparing at some point Cooper to Gits, and the positioning of their shoulders and torso when running, I've used that to teach some of the blokes in my team to have a bit more deception with their ball movements.

But yeah, rather than one off plays, maybe analysis of that plus general positioning throughout the game, and when good teams start adapting their styles if something isn't working.

L

Linebacker_41

But don't spread the tactics show idea too much - G&GR wants to do one!

I think a max of 4 podcasts per season on this would be good. And agree with other comments that too much becomes overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.