• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Know any fit young women who want to go to the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
A campaign has just been launched to interest female athletes from any endeavour (OK gymnastics and ballet probably wont cut it) to consider Rugby 7s as a "Pathway to Gold". There are try-outs in the next few months, leading to the Women's world Cup next year and obviously the Olympics in 2016, where Australia firmly intends to take gold in the women's.

So if you know any fit young women 16 or older...

Perth
Date: Sunday 16 September 2012
Time:
9am - 1pm
Venue: McGillivray Oval, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009

Melbourne
Date: Sunday 23 September 2012
Time:
2pm - 6pm
Venue: Maribyrnong Sports Academy, River St, Maribyrnong VIC 3032
Sydney
Date: Sunday 21 October 2012
Time: 9am - 1pm
Venue: Wilson Park Stadium, Newington Rd, Silverwater NSW 2127
Brisbane
Date: Sunday 28th October 2012
Time: 9am - 1pm
Venue: Ballymore Stadium, Clyde Rd, Herston QLD 4006
http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/WomensSevensTrials.aspx

http://www.ausport.gov.au/supportin...rugby_gains_advantage_through_funding_support

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-...paration-starts-for-rio/4258692?section=sport

T

TOCC

From the the current squad there are a number women with little rugby experience but excelled in other sports like touch football

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Just tell them about how the Olympic Village really works and you'll have more auditions than X Factor and SYTYCD combined.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They were promoting a segment about this on ABC 702 radio this morning as part of the Morning Report as I was driving this morning.

Journey was completed before I heard the segment.

The Go for Gold in Gold in Rio campaign has received some airtime on the Womens Rugby Union Thread.

I am convinced that the cattle exists in Aust to win Gold, and that many of those selected may come from outside existing playing stock. The challenge will be to keep all those who try out hooked within the Rugby family.

For this we need clubs, competitions, access to ovals, trainers, coaches, sponsors, referees, administrators, School girl competitions, rep teams etc.

I just hope ARU has thought this through completely and is thinking long term. It is about growing and maintaining a female rugby 7's capability, not just selecting 10 athletes for Rio. Rio and Olympic Gold is just the bait.

T

TOCC

The ARU is hosting a schoolgirls 7's tournament in coming months.. Inaugural year.. So yeah I think they are looking at the longer term outcomes of it...

Ironically I think we will find most of the schoolgirl participant are from the non-private schools, can't imagine to many of those pretentious girls schools will allow a thug sport like rugby be played.. However, the socio-economic class of many of the state schools has more Polynesian girls, the likely candidates for rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ARU is hosting a schoolgirls 7's tournament in coming months.. Inaugural year.. So yeah I think they are looking at the longer term outcomes of it.

Ironically I think we will find most of the schoolgirl participant are from the non-private schools, can't imagine to many of those pretentious girls schools will allow a thug sport like rugby be played.. However, the socio-economic class of many of the state schools has more Polynesian girls, the likely candidates for rugby.

The QLD School 7s trials were held at Ballymore recently and the quality was really very good. Some fantastic drew and pass skills that seemed pretty natural/innate, so good coaching there. Some obvious stand outs in every team, but across the board the talent was excellent.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Just like Hugh Jarse, heard it on the radio this morning, thought I'd do my community service bit.

fair enough, good job.

the ARU should activley go after some of those lingerie gridiron girls who played in that tournament here in Australia that started this year, i have a few friends that play and most of them have some form of rugby related background and have some serious game!!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Transcript from the ABC segment:

The full story...

Olympic rugby sevens: preparation starts for Rio 2016
Jennifer Browning reported this story on Thursday, September 13, 2012 08:26:00

Listen to MP3 of this story ( minutes)
ALTERNATE WMA VERSION | MP3 DOWNLOAD
TONY EASTLEY: The next Olympics in Rio may seem a long way down the track but with the introduction of rugby to the program preparations have already started.

Men's and women's rugby sevens will debut at the games in 2016 and already some countries are spending millions on developing their teams.

Over the next two months the Australian Rugby Union will host a series of talent camps aimed at finding potential athletes for its women's team.

Jennifer Browning has the story.

(Sounds from a football training session)

JENNIFER BROWNING: It's been a popular method of finding pop stars - now a talent quest is being used to find Australia's next generation of female rugby athletes.

(Sounds from a football training session)

If you're fit, fast and have a desire to represent your country and travel the world, rugby sevens may be for you.

REBECCA TAVO: It's so exciting and more so now it's an Olympic sport. Like that's a dream come true for everyone. You know, not many people get to do it and I'm very privileged and honoured to be able to do that.

JENNIFER BROWNING: Rebecca Tavo is the current Australian captain. And when she isn't in the north of Western Australia driving trains on the mines, she travels back to Brisbane to train with her team-mates.

REBECCA TAVO: I work two weeks out in the mines and I could start anywhere from 2am or 10pm at night and I work 12 hours. Obviously it's very challenging, you know, out in the heat by myself but it's just something that I'm prepared to do.

JENNIFER BROWNING: The flame of the London Olympics has barely been extinguished but for Australia's women's rugby sevens team the road to Rio has already started.

EMMA GILLOGLY: It's always been a dream of mine to go to the Olympics. I never thought it would be for rugby though. And to have this opportunity, I'll definitely take it with both hands.

JENNIFER BROWNING: Emma Gillogly, a talented touch football player, was targeted by the Australian Rugby Union to make the switch to seven's.

It was a similar for Emilee Cherry who until she started playing sevens had only travelled to New Zealand.

EMILEE CHERRY: If you'd asked me that a year ago there's no way I would have ever thought I would have had the opportunity to go to the Olympics ever. Playing a sport like rugby sevens now gives me that opportunity and yeah, it's quite unbelievable really.

JENNIFER BROWNING: That Olympic dream could become a reality for a lot more young Australians with the "pathway to gold" program about to start.

Trials will be held in Perth this weekend followed by Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Australia's head coach Chris Lane is encouraging every female athlete to come along and give it a try.

CHRIS LANE: We're looking to really, you know, broaden our base, broaden our talent pool as such and anyone from any sport please come and give it a try.

JENNIFER BROWNING: And the skipper says you don't even have to know anything about rugby.

REBECCA TAVO: You might have speed, fitness, strength, ball skills, anything that another sport might have that we might not have and you could be helping your country out. You could be representing Australia next year in Vegas some time.

JENNIFER BROWNING: The Australians are the current world champions and most recently they won the Asia Pacific sevens championships in Malaysia.

But nothing keeps the team focused more than the lure of an Olympic gold medal.

REBECCA TAVO: The big picture for Australia is 2016. So if we can get some younger girls, get some experience at the world cup, and I'll tell you by the time three or four years later, they're going to dominate.

TONY EASTLEY: Australian women's sevens captain Rebecca Tavo ending Jennifer Browning's report.

And you can see more on that story on ABC News 24's Grandstand at 7.30 tonight.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@ Teach - No need to remind us of what happened in Fiji with the Dainty Darkness (nickname is TM me). Let the demons of the past stay there. We'd prefer to look forward to better times.:)

I see the NZ School girls championship has just been run and won, according to Schools Rugby Tribune reports. Looks like the female side of the game is going gangbusters over your way.

As someone has said above, Rugby is essentially Private School based in Sydney and Brisbane. This is OK for the boys but many of us can't really reconcile that the Mosman and Ascot Pearl Set would be all that happy with princess Amelia and lady Susannah playing Rugby at PLC/Clayfield College.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I refereed at a 4 day intermediate (ie 10-12 years old) 7's tournament recently. There were 32 boys teams and 6 girls teams. The girls teams were a bit disappointing really - more scrag than proper tackling - but you have to start somewhere.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Wasn't really stirring. I read this thread and out of interest looked to see what NZ are doing. You seem far better informed than I am about my own country so better keep up to date.

Dainty Darkness - not too sure that will catch on. Nothing dainty about these girls.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't really stirring. I read this thread and out of interest looked to see what NZ are doing. You seem far better informed than I am about my own country so better keep up to date.

Dainty Darkness - not too sure that will catch on. Nothing dainty about these girls.

There is an element of not so subtle irony in the nomenclature of "Dainty Darkness".

With the Dainty Darkness winning the Oceania 7's in Fiji, I guess it just goes to show that your lot are a bigger pack of shielas than ours.:)

I know you weren't stirring, but I like to try and whip up interest in all of rugbydom, not just what is shown on TV.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
'Know any fit young women who want to go to the Olympics?' I had a friend who used a similar title in an advert for a flat mate. Funny enough he didn't get many applicants.

rugbycheersquad

Frank Nicholson (4)
I refereed at a 4 day intermediate (ie 10-12 years old) 7's tournament recently. There were 32 boys teams and 6 girls teams. The girls teams were a bit disappointing really - more scrag than proper tackling - but you have to start somewhere.

Out of curiosity Dam0, where was this tournament? I have tried and failed to find any kind of teams for girls once they are older than about 8 or younger than 16....

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Intermediate is a term for what we know in NSW as year 6 and 7. I think therefore that Dam0 may be from the Shakey Isles. Over there thay have a school called" Intermediate" between Primary School and High School. In NSW, compared to NZ we do an extra year in Primary School and High School, rather than two years in Intermediate School.

Sydney Juniors tried to make it a priority to get a girls competition organised a couple of years back. I think they didn't have much success back then. Season 2013 may be a good year to have another lash at that on the back of Go for Gold in Gold in Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.