• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lack of manners/respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
As a referee, got to disagree here. Most people dont know this, but Rugby actually has a Law 0:

Always respect the match officials - often they do it for love of the game and for the benefit of the crowd and players. Simple.

Are you referring to Super 15/international matches here? If so I disagree strongly.

Sure, Law 0 may exist, but the referee isn't a protected species from the crowd's perspective.

Park football is different, keep it polite and respectful there. But but to infer that a Super/international crowd should respect the referee because he's there for the love of the game is daft.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
As a referee, got to disagree here. Most people dont know this, but Rugby actually has a Law 0:

Always respect the match officials - often they do it for love of the game and for the benefit of the crowd and players. Simple.
I agree with the sentiment but the reason most people don't know it is that the IRB laws do not have a law 0. Must be a local variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Well...
greeting-the-english2_zps8060f7a8.jpg

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Samoa scored first, with a penalty.

One of the Convict commentators sneered:

"They'll be taking photographs of that scoreboard, the Samoans in the crowd."

Samoa won the match.

I was there. They were. They were even happier when they won and a more gracious group of winners I have never seen. Singing, playing music, telling everyone what a great game it was. By the team I made it to the car park, I was (almost) happier than if we'd won.

M

Muttonbird

On one hand we want crowds to get more into the games and make some noise; and then we complain when they don't meet some specific level of etiquette?

You can't have both as far as I care and you need heroes and you need villains

We stand round complaining about McCaw "cheating" (making t-shrts etc) and justifying cheap shots from Cooper. It isn't surprising that Kiwi supporter are taking the opposing position

As always you got the big picture FP.

It's just fun banter when our NZ hero is called "McCheat" at every single opportunity, even extending to t-shirt and beer-cooler marketing campaigns. But when a known wide-boy, cheapshot-merchant, and anti-team man is booed by a live crowd, it's rude and ill-mannered?

I don't get it.

M

Muttonbird

Just saying, even though Richie McCaw is nudging retirement and hasn't played a game in six months before last weekend, still, the very biggest and boldest advertisement on G 'n'R rugby's website is for an anti Richie McCaw T-shirt.

Why not a T-shirt with this, "George Smith's had a hair cut. Now I don't see him cheat as much". Or, "I can't drink juice like Pocock can".

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Just saying, even though Richie McCaw is nudging retirement and hasn't played a game in six months before last weekend, still, the very biggest and boldest advertisement on G 'n'R rugby's website is for an anti Richie McCaw T-shirt.

Why not a T-shirt with this, "George Smith's had a hair cut. Now I don't see him cheat as much". Or, "I can't drink juice like Pocock can".
Its only cheating if you get away with it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Best to consider it like the pro wrestling, we need our villains and our heroes

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Probably more a cultural thing, the French love to chant and cheer as their kicker lines up a goal whilst us Irish prefer to stay deathly silent.

It was interesting watching Saracens at Thomond Park. The quiet seemed to really get to Owen Farrell.

M

Muttonbird

Aah see your point.

NZ had Fitzpatrick, McCaw, ?????
SA Bakkies Botha, Butch James and Dean Greyling
Aus the Aussie commentary team mostly

Yellow cards (since introduced to Tests in 2000)

South Africa 70 (43 players)
Italy 61 (34)
Aust 44 (30)
Argentina 44 (26)
Wales 39 (29)
NZ 37 (28)
England 37 (24)
Scotland 30 (19)
Ireland 26 (16)
France 24 (19)

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yellow cards (since introduced to Tests in 2000)

South Africa 70 (43 players)
Italy 61 (34)
Aust 44 (30)
Argentina 44 (26)
Wales 39 (29)
NZ 37 (28)
England 37 (24)
Scotland 30 (19)
Ireland 26 (16)
France 24 (19)
The first yellow card shown in an international was during the All blacks 1995 tour of France when Irish referee Gordon Black showed it to the All blacks lock Mark Cooksley after he'd punched an opponent in a midweek match at Nancy. The ref later found out that it had yet to be introduced officially but it was shortly afterwards.

The first 'official' recipient of a yellow card in a Test match was Ben Clarke, playing for England against Ireland at Lansdowne Road.

Funny thing is SA have been proposing the binning since the 70's which the Rugby world rejected. In schol they sent players to go stand behind the post to cool of we called it a cooler. That was in 80 and 90's.

Coming to that yellow card tally one can see how we are targeted. As we concede the least amount of penalties year after year in test rugby.

Other thing is apart from 2009 when we won the Tri nations we conceded the most.

But look at the Lions series. Botha get banned then the law for ruck clearing gets changed. How do you work that out. Ban a guy for something that was still legal.

I will not mention this one bloke who get pinged 4 times on a final warning without getting binned.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Are you referring to Super 15/international matches here? If so I disagree strongly.

Sure, Law 0 may exist, but the referee isn't a protected species from the crowd's perspective.

Park football is different, keep it polite and respectful there. But but to infer that a Super/international crowd should respect the referee because he's there for the love of the game is daft.

In the professional context, you still respect his authority. It doesn't mean you can't question it it just means their are acceptable ways of doing it.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing i would add to the list is celebrating before scoring a try. Ground the ball properly then do backflips or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.