• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
We keep seeing the same mistakes and the same problems. Over and over again. Change is hard. Habits are hard to break. Change has to come from strong and effective leadership. Leaders set the bar, lift standards, inspire the troops, and raise everybody's potential. Most importantly they can unify a bunch of individuals and unite them in a common cause.

We need discipline. We need to stop giving away cheap penalties and back our defence. You can't do that when your captain is blatantly swiping at the ball while lying in the ruck. We need to treasure possession more. Not kick it away like Smith did (WTF is a flanker doing kicking so much anyway ?). Or rotely trot out the Giteau cross field kick that has a 1 from 20 success rate.

Smith must be demoted as captain.
Barnes must be sacked altogether. He is a loser. He reminds me of the trio of Waratahs (Whitaker, Lyons, Turinui) that Toutai Kefu boasted Queensland would target every year because they were mentally soft.
We need Mortlock back. We need Stephen Moore to be groomed to take the reins.
We need to sack Deans. He's a lovely bloke is Robbie. That's not what we need in a coach. He's a pussy. We need a coach with passion, who breathes fire and brimestone. These guys are too pampered.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We can certainly see why Smith is a quiet bloke - when he talks the ref just ignores him. I don't mind a lead-by-example type of skipper, but you have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Something is not clicking and it's hard to know who to blame: Deans, Smith, Mortlock, Horwill, Giteau?

I don't know if this is the right time to say this, but naza, you remind me of Alan Jones. With some boys "in" and some boys "out." Barnes is the least of our worries and TPN has been outplaying Moore everywhere. You haven't mentioned Palu in a while. Whose fault is he?

Anyway, I reckon they need a new captain. Might at as well be Mortlock though, while no-one else puts up their hand.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
His leadership at the Tahs is 100% proven. They can't win without him. But he is also a very good S14 player. Whether or not the Wallaby players would follow a Brearley-type leader is unknown.

NOTE: I just checked the win% of England captains in the 1970s and 80s:

Lewis 13%
Denness 32%
Edrich 0%
Greig 21%
Brearley 58%
Boycott 25%
Botham 0% (from 12 tests!)
Fletcher 14%
Willis 39%
Gower 16%
Gatting 9%

On those numbers, Waugh is worth a look.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Thats awesome, Scarfy. ahem, ah that was a joke wasn't it? (Not the waugh for captain bit, but the looking at England cricket captains bit.) hhmmmmm?

Waugh is certainly the best captain in Oz. It is just disappointing he hasn't got a shot for the wallabies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Real numbers from Wikipedia. It was one of those things that jumps into your head and you just have to find the answer to.

And Mike Brearley's batting average was 22.88, by the way. Transposing sports, I'm sure Waugh could do better than that.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought the joke was that you were comparing Phil Waugh to an old England cricket captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.