• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting guy to throw out there.

Very good player at and still so young. I personally don't see it happening. Captain of the Titans, QLD starter and Australian Rep. Has he had any back ground in Rugby?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Problem with tall guys like Tino is their tackling technique, in rugby he would be yellow carded half a dozen times a game with the way he currently tackles, regular head contact. That’s not something you can change easy for these big guys

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Very true. I feel he's on the edge of getting a reputation as dirty. His ball carries as well are very high and he puts the forearm up into contact. Rugby will get you carded and suspended. Happened in the U20s last week and I think we all remember Hodge in the RWC getting done for it.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
There are the obvious ones like Cleary and Ponga who could play the 10 and 15 positions although their current salaries should make them hard to get. More left-field is Toby Rudolph or possibly Murray Taualgi. Both have GPS rugby experience, Rudolph possibly as a 6/8 Taulagi as a 12-15

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There are the obvious ones like Cleary and Ponga who could play the 10 and 15 positions although their current salaries should make them hard to get. More left-field is Toby Rudolph or possibly Murray Taualgi. Both have GPS rugby experience, Rudolph possibly as a 6/8 Taulagi as a 12-15
Murray has come out in a big article discussing union saying he's in league for the long term, sounds very unlikely.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Mikaele Ravalwa would be a good signing, has union background, Crusaders u18s, captained Fiji u18s 7s team as well. Has been in Aus since 2019 so close to residency qualified already.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mikaele Ravalwa would be a good signing, has union background, Crusaders u18s, captained Fiji u18s 7s team as well. Has been in Aus since 2019 so close to residency qualified already.
How many wingers can we buy?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah whilst he's a probably a good Rugby player he isn't what we need to be spending money on.

We need depth through 12,15 most and then 9,10 after that. Some players like a Cleary would be able to play 10,12 and a Burton 10,12,15

I see the Dragons have told Zac Lomax he is free to find a new club whilst being contracted through to 2026. I think he'd be a pretty good 12,13 who could play 15 also. No idea about any history with Rugby. I suspect zero but players like that IMO are what we need.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah whilst he's a probably a good Rugby player he isn't what we need to be spending money on.

We need depth through 12,15 most and then 9,10 after that. Some players like a Cleary would be able to play 10,12 and a Burton 10,12,15

I see the Dragons have told Zac Lomax he is free to find a new club whilst being contracted through to 2026. I think he'd be a pretty good 12,13 who could play 15 also. No idea about any history with Rugby. I suspect zero but players like that IMO are what we need.
Zac was a junior rugby representative for NSW PSSA.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The obvious,
Tolu Koula
Will Penisini

The less obvious
Carrigan (super unlikely given he's probably the next Broncs, QLD and aus captain)
Rudolph
Mo Fotoauika

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They could all do it.
Koula re signed through to 2027 last week but Manly have backed themselves in a salary cap wall over the last month.
Pennisini re signed through 2025

I agree about Carrigan. Would be a good player but I can't imagine Rugby would pay him any more than he's going to earn when you think about 3rd party deals and what not when he's based in Brisbane as their Captain

I'd throw out there:
Campbell Graham
Lachlan Illias
Murray Taulagi
Bailey Simonsson
Adam Doueihi
Angus Chrichton

I'm not thinking of Ponga as hes already on 1.4m with the Knights and has said he'd love to be an All Black. Same statement might come out of Simonssons' mouth but I haven't heard it.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
They could all do it.
Koula re signed through to 2027 last week but Manly have backed themselves in a salary cap wall over the last month.
Pennisini re signed through 2025

I agree about Carrigan. Would be a good player but I can't imagine Rugby would pay him any more than he's going to earn when you think about 3rd party deals and what not when he's based in Brisbane as their Captain

I'd throw out there:
Campbell Graham
Lachlan Illias
Murray Taulagi
Bailey Simonsson
Adam Doueihi
Angus Chrichton

I'm not thinking of Ponga as hes already on 1.4m with the Knights and has said he'd love to be an All Black. Same statement might come out of Simonssons' mouth but I haven't heard it.
Id love to see a midfield of Taulagi and Graham. Does Graham have rugby experience? Illias is steady but dont think he is better than what we have, Douehi seems perennially injured. Simonsson would be a good wing but we seemed covered there. Fan of Crichton but where does he play? Is he big enough for 6/8 (he played some 8 in school)? I don't think he has the mobility for the midfield like he did playing there for Scots.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Good points. I think Crichton could play 12 but it would be a style you would have to want. Say what you will about about Ben Te'o but he made a pretty good fist of it and he would be slower than Crichton.

I don't think Graham does but the way he plays I reckon would be pretty transferable. Such a big man with pace.

Illias was an Australian Schoolboy in Rugby playing Centre. I just see him as a more attainable player than people saying Nathan Cleary and he has the kick, pass, run skills that we'd want.

You're right Doueihi is injury prone but hopefully he has a long career ahead of him. Big fast unit that can play and would be able 10,12,13,15.

Agree that Wingers should not be high on the list. I hope with Jorgensen and Sua'ali'i we dont' worry about 15 either in the future. Midfield is the need.