• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions 5/8? Johnny Wilkinson back in contention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Saw Toulon armwrestle Saracens out of the Heineken Cup Semi today. A win made up of 7 penalties and a drop kick from Wilkinson in a game with no tries.

Interesting was the match up of Wilkinson vs Farrell the new great hope for english rugby. But all the commentators could talk bout after was that Wilkinson had completely outplayed Farrell so fully there is no way he can not be picked to tour. Farrell also lost the plot in the last 10mins chasing the game which won't make garland happy about his big game form.

So if garland takes 2 or 3 10's who will they be and do we want Wilko coming or should be hope he isn't picked?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Wilko is still a world class kicker but I don't think he's a world class 10 anymore. Still extremely good, just not nearly as good as he use to be. His body is pretty clearly getting towards the end of it's lease and while he can still make the channels when guys are running directly down his channel his lateral quickness is not what it once was. This leaves him a bit vulnerable in some defensive situations and detracts from his ability to step through multiple defenders and break the line like he used to do. He's definitely one of the better 10s in the Top 14 and likely all of Europe but I'm not convinced he warrants a spot on the plane to Australia.

He outplayed Farrell because Farrell is just outright not nearly as good as the European media would like people to believe. The extreme over-inflation of his value and playing ability reminds me of what went on with Warburton, just in 2012/2013 as opposed to 2011/2012. I wouldn't care too much if Wilko came in place of Farrell but Sexton is still the best option at 10 by a country mile.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
After Sexton there is a serious drop off in quality, personally I'd bring Wilko as the second fly half but given he'll be involved in the Top 14 finals until early June Gatland won't take him. At this stage I'd consider Bigger, Madigan and James Hook ahead of Farrell

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If its truly going to be based on recent form and the Lions stick to tradition I think Madigan should go as fly half #2.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Aside from Madigan I don't think the Lions have a real game changer off the bench. Farrell offers zero impact aside from goal kicking, some of his passing yesterday was woeful. Sexton at this stage is as important to a Lions series win as Genia is for the Wobs.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
After Wilko's drop goal..

3AVIRIhh.png

WsonUnMh.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wilko coming here would do wonders for the Zimmer Frame manufacturers and suppliers.

We may have our issues at #10 but the NH quality is so ordinary that SNK would go close to getting a guernsey for the B&I Lions if he was eligible.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Wilko coming here would do wonders for the Zimmer Frame manufacturers and suppliers.

We may have our issues at #10 but the NH quality is so ordinary that SNK would go close to getting a guernsey for the B&I Lions if he was eligible.

I think you guys will be surprised at Jonny Sexton this winter, few seem to rate him here but there hasn't been a better fly half in Europe for the past few years. He has been painfully misused by Ireland, or specifically Declan Kidney, being forced to play deep and kick when his natural instinct is to play on the gain line.​
Gatland, a la Joe Schmidt, should bring out the best in him and I think he could be one of the stars of the series for the Lions. He'll hopefully continue to shine under Schmidt when he takes over as Ireland boss.​
In fairness given that the Lions back up 10 will be Farrell I think the SNK comment is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom