• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Super Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sounded like a good trial win over the sharks, maybe a different team this year
Yep a good win for the Lions. Will mean the world of good for their confidense and good to see them clicking.

Sport24
Lions shred Sharks

28e8310d627d497fa7f90f8062e12e5f.jpg

Jaco Taute added his try to the five that the Lions scored on the night. (Gallo)

Cape Town - The Lions started the new season off on a high, scoring an empathic 41-10 victory over the Sharks in a Neo Africa Tri Series match on Tuesday night. The Johannesburg squad ran in six tries to one, with five of them coming in the second half of the match.

It was slightly ironic that, on the same day the Lions announced the signing of Butch James, fellow fly-half Burton Francis was one of the standout performers for the Lions.

The Sharks were first to put points on the board, when Patrick Lambie dived over for the first try of the match, but still the quality of rugby played in the early stages of the match did not impress the 3,000 odd spectators.

Lions fly-half Andre Pretorius eventually opened the team's tally with a penalty, and just before the siren, flank Derick Mini ensured the Johannesburg side took the lead, as he was shoved over the line by his pack.

Unlike the first 40 minutes, the second half provided great entertainment with the Lions playing with a real sense of urgency.

They were soon rewarded for their efforts, when eighth-man Warren Whitely dotted down as a result of impressive handling skills by his team-mates.

Burton Francis nailed the conversion to give his side a 17-5 lead, from where they could play with more confidence.

That confidence resulted in the Lions' third try of the evening.

This time fullback Jaco Taute chipped the ball through the Sharks backline and followed up to make it 22-5.

Francis was rock solid with his conversion, and it became clear that the match was slipping away from the Currie Cup champions.

Eventually Springbok newcomer Lwazi Mvovo managed to restore some pride for the Sharks with a textbook finish, but the Lions pack needed only crack at the opposition's line to wipe out the gain that had Mvovo made.

In what would have been a bonus point try in Vodacom Super Rugby terms for the Lions, skipper Franco van der Merwe emerged with ball-in-hand and his pack duly forced him over the line.

And just to add salt in the Sharks' wounds, replacements Caylib Oosthuizen and Michael Killian added two more tries to the embarrassing score line.

Scorers:

Sharks: 10(5).Tries - Patrick Lambie, Lwazi Mvovo.

Lions: 41(10) Tries - Derick Mini, Warren Whiteley, Jaco Taute, Franco van der Merwe, Cylib Oosthuizen, Michael Killian. Conversions - Burton Francis (4). Penalty - Andre Pretorius (1)

Saturday its the Stormers vs Sharks and highlights of this and the previous one and the game live on TV. The Sharks will have to fight back while the Stormers will try and nail them. Should be a cracker even as a warmup. 3,000 attended last night but saturday it will be a diffirent story.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Aaaahhhhh........ finally, a win, albeit it being only a warm up game but fuck it, we, Lions supporters, can busk in this. But yea I know it will only count come the real thing. I would rather see this a mental win as the boys really needed this and the confidence will be high.

The game against Tucuman has been cancelled, pity, so they will be playing the Uni of Jo'burg instead.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Move over Chabal..........here is Joshua Strauss

764d77ebc9084c51ab4ea2f03fe19f55.jpg

The black and white thing never suited Petoors really. That Lion still looks good on him, but surprise, surprise he went of injured......

b270f0407f4f4110815a546be68930f3.jpg

The next Bok FB, Jaco Taute

4e621f180790470f9392c8c4ad898bc8.jpg

gman

Peter Burge (5)
So close yet so far. The team is almost there. On Friday it will be 666 days ago for the Lions to have won a super rugby game. I reckon the Lions to take this one against the Blues. Some team have to give. It is the Blues this weekend, then the Highlanders then the Cheetahs, but I think it will happen this weekend.

Blues might be want to lash out against the Lions, but I think the Lions just have that hunger more than the Blues.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Lions team to face the Blues:

Jaco Taute, Lionel Mapoe, Waylon Murray, Doppies la Grange, Michael Killian, Elton Jantjies, Jano Vermaak, Warren Whiteley, Josh Strauss, Derick Minnie, Franco van der Merwe (capt.), Wikus van Heerden, Patric Cilliers, Bandise Maku, JC Janse van Rensburg. Replacements: Martin Bezuidenhout, Kevin Buys, Dries van Schalkwyk , Cobus Grobbelaar, Rory Kockott, Burton Francis, James Kamana

George Earl injured and Wikus moves in to the starting XV with youngster Dries van Schalkwyk on the bench.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Earl is a good player but they won't lose much with Wikus though we are more used to seeing him play in the back row than the 2nd row.

Move over Chabal..........here is Joshua Strauss

The next Bok FB, Jaco Taute

John Smit last night

Have been impressed with Strauss. He is more than just a colourful looking player with his beard: he's a typical hard nosed SAffer flanker with a big engine.

Fullback Taute looks like a terrific player. Room will have to be made for Rose when he is fit but this fellow has a running style that says he can play wing or outside centre also. Haven't seen enough of him to know if he could defend well in those positions but he certainly looks like he is Bok material.

I thought that Smit looked pretty fit for the Sharks.

The Lions have performed well in the two rounds they have played but naturally did not have the winning experience of the Bulls or Stormers in how to win a game at the pointy end of the match. One thing that looks certain is that they won't be easy beats this year. They have a bit more starch when the other side has the ball.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Rose fucked off to Boland, I think, and is no more longer at the Lions......thank gawd.

Taute played actually flyhalf at school and it is his preferred position. But he's been doing really well at fullback. But he can also play at centre as such, but I doubt that he will feautre there as JM has other plans for him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rose fucked off to Boland, I think, and is no more longer at the Lions......thank gawd.

Taute played actually flyhalf at school and it is his preferred position. But he's been doing really well at fullback. But he can also play at centre as such, but I doubt that he will feautre there as JM has other plans for him.
Rose wont survive Boland, Earl to Griquas and Jody plays Varsity Cup for Maties.

Also want to see Jaco Taute in 10. He'll be a big success and attacking in 10.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think the Tin Ears should have tried him in 10. Olivier is kak at the moment and he'll provide them with a bit of bite and flair from 10. Plays Vodacom at the moment and Griquas look strong.

gman

Peter Burge (5)
Think the Tin Ears should have tried him in 10. Olivier is kak at the moment and he'll provide them with a bit of bite and flair from 10. Plays Vodacom at the moment and Griquas look strong.

I don't think Olivier is that bad, but ja why not. I don't think Naka has anything to loose by throwing Rose in to the mix a bit.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

The reverse to Kurtley who started his Super career at 10 and moved to 15. If he's half as good as KB (Kurtley Beale) you guys are in luck. I've had him on the bench for my Fantasy team ready for the big bye round when he'll be playing the Highlanders, so I hope you're right.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think Olivier is that bad, but ja why not. I don't think Naka has anything to loose by throwing Rose in to the mix a bit.
Riaan Viljoen can be more then usefull in 10. Nippy customer with a huge boot on him. Naas and young Ebersohn is way to similiar type of 10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom