• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Give the test to Brisbane. Have an Australia A fixture in Perth along with the Force game. Everyone gets something. West Australians would prefer the test, but we'd probably still sell-out sn Australia A game.

Not a bad idea,

Could make it the first stop, so the Lions can play Australia A or a Barbarians side on the weekend and then Force Wednesday and move onto the next place for the following weekend.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given the constraints, it is the most reasonable thing to do in my eyes. Might be a different story come 2037 though....

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What about 4 Lions tests? The 3 test series concept only really emerged in 1989.

Something like this........

Force v Lions - Perth Stadium
Reds v Lions - Lang Park
Australian Barbarians v Lions - Townsville Stadium
NSW v Lions - SFS
Australia A v Lions - Western Sydney Stadium
Wallabies v Lions - Lang Park
Rebels v Lions - AAMI Park
Wallabies v Lions - Perth Stadium
Brumbies v Lions - Bruce Stadium
Wallabies v Lions - MCG
Wallabies v Lions - Stadium Australia

7 tour matches and 4 tests - 11 matches total

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Confirmed to be going to SA. First test is 24/07. Currently averaging 1,200 cases a day, well down from their peak but still only <200,000 people vaccinated. A lot to do in 4 months. Will be interesting to see how the crowds situation.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Because the Victorian Gov demanded the 2025 Lions tour as a part of the deal for them to keep the Rebels. It's crazy but apparently Melbourne is more important to Rugby Australia than Queensland. -_- This has always been the case, doesn't matter that Queensland is the dominant force in Rugby in Australia and something like 60% of the Super Rugby players in Australia have been though some part of the Queensland Pathways. Money is more important than passion.

But fuck it, cut Sydney give it to Brisbane AND Perth.

But seriously there isn't a question here, the QRU have 3 votes this is the largest consideration of votes for Rugby Australia Governance. This question is being put out there for Rugby WA to feel good about themselves like there is a chance for them to get it. However I still cannot work out why Brisbane always gets the shit end of the stick when it comes to games. We get the third of the Bled games, we get the Argentinians rather than New Zealand or South Africa. I can not wrap my head around why it's always Sydney, Melbourne, a country mile, then Brisbane. It's the Wallabies win record is fantastic in Brisbane either, most of the Wallabies come from Brisbane.
Melbourne hardly gets looked after outside of the Lions we never play important tests here 05 from memory was the last time the Bledisloe came. I understand last year we were meant to have it but covid.

I think every year the first Bledisloe test should be held somewhere different the Wallabies are Australia’s team not Sydney’s. I loved seeing it in Perth in 2019 for that very reason.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
What about 4 Lions tests? The 3 test series concept only really emerged in 1989.

Something like this....

Force v Lions - Perth Stadium
Reds v Lions - Lang Park
Australian Barbarians v Lions - Townsville Stadium
NSW v Lions - SFS
Australia A v Lions - Western Sydney Stadium
Wallabies v Lions - Lang Park
Rebels v Lions - AAMI Park
Wallabies v Lions - Perth Stadium
Brumbies v Lions - Bruce Stadium
Wallabies v Lions - MCG
Wallabies v Lions - Stadium Australia

7 tour matches and 4 tests - 11 matches total
They don’t want the possibility of a 2-2 draw but I do like it think it’s only fair that Perth and Brisbane can get a test

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Melbourne hardly gets looked after outside of the Lions we never play important tests here 05 from memory was the last time the Bledisloe came. I understand last year we were meant to have it but covid.

I think every year the first Bledisloe test should be held somewhere different the Wallabies are Australia’s team not Sydney’s. I loved seeing it in Perth in 2019 for that very reason.

There was some deal struck that meant the first test had to be played in Sydney for x years.

Something something money

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
There was some deal struck that meant the first test had to be played in Sydney for x years.

Something something money
Look I understand there is a contract in place I just think after the current contract expires we should not enter the same type of deal

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Reports of Anzac game at the MCG, interesting concept. Talked about a lot, wonder if they will get it over the line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reports of Anzac game at the MCG, interesting concept. Talked about a lot, wonder if they will get it over the line.

meaning that Melbourne are not getting a test I assume? Brisbane, Sydney and Perth?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
meaning that Melbourne are not getting a test I assume? Brisbane, Sydney and Perth?
That's what I would expect, ARU has to bring a Lions test to Melbourne. So guessing the Government is happy with a compromise. Would prefer actual test, this would be good but end of the day it's another Tour game and not test match.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t like it.

why are we giving up a game against an Aussie side just so NZ can get a run/extra money. Playing state/Super Rugby teams was one of the great traditions of the B&I tours, this is just a gimmick.

B&I Lions have already said they want to reduce tour matches, so like this will be at the expense of Super Rugby teams playing the B&I Lions. Reds Vs B&I Lions drew 50k in 2013 so it’s not a lack of pull.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
You would assume Aus A will be playing a tour match, so this game would be at risk of Rebels or Force, possibly both not getting a tour game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
why are we giving up a game against an Aussie side just so NZ can get a run/extra money.

Presumably because there's a large amount of money in it for RA.

There couldn't be any other reason.

I would assume Lions vs Combined Country disappears and if that is the only change then every Super Rugby team can keep their match.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Arguments of doing this before state games aside, what would the realistic break up of Aus - NZ players be?
If it's just pandering to NZ, would we see close to 75% + be Kiwi? Or would there have to be some more equitable split? (Obviously picked on merit - probably not going to pick someone on the outer or isn't performing)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t like it.

why are we giving up a game against an Aussie side just so NZ can get a run/extra money. Playing state/Super Rugby teams was one of the great traditions of the B&I tours, this is just a gimmick.
To get the Super Rugby Pacific deal done more favourably...