• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Live Calling of the RWC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Does anyone know if there is live commentary (not blog posts) of the Aussie games? Here in the US and have subscribed to online live coverage, but dreading an objective commentary - even worse if it was by my Seppo bretheren. Need jingoistic, fiercely pro-Oz calling. Or at least Southern Hemisphere.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
My understanding is that in Canada, and i would assume the U.S, they have just bought the coverage straight off either the aussie or english networks.

It's not worth it for the networks to send a full team down there to cover the games.

did you watch the canada u.s game in denver? american commentators were so bad!

Gareth Rees was marginally better for the game in toronto on the canadian coverage. but i'll forgive him because he's gareth.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Now this is totally off topic but I've got to ask - BarnsySF, that photo of John Cusack, your avatar - 20 odd years ago, or maybe more, I saw the movie that that picture was in and there's John Cusack running around in an Australian rugby league jersey - ie your avatar. It's bugged me, not continuously, ever since, but everytime I see a movie with him in I can't help thinking, how the fuck did he end up wearing that jersey? It's not like the whole sports jersey marketing thing had taken off then, and certainly not aussie jerseys in the US, (hadn't even happened over here at that time) so, how the fuck? Any idea? Can you put my mind at peace, or are you a victim of this mystery as well?

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
YG - Yes it also has bugged me ever since I saw The Sure Thing (as did the image of that crazy lady from Desperate Housewives in a bikini in her prime). I've got absolutely no intel on the thinking behind him wearing it, but I reckon you're right, the film predates the rugby jersey wearing trend. Certainly predates Russell handing out Rabbitoh jerseys to the likes of Sharon Stone and Denzel Washington. An inspirational move from a wardrobe person back in the 80's. Cusack would have made a shit half-back to be sure.

I can't believe I remember this, but I also recall some monster-type character wearing a Fosters t-shirt in the Golden Child with Eddie Murphy. But we're drifting well off topic.....

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks Sir Artie - I was thinking more of whether I could just turn the sound down and listen to something online, like an ABC radio or something. Or an 'alternative commentary' a la Roy & HG (although that would be pushing it).

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone know if there is live commentary (not blog posts) of the Aussie games? Here in the US and have subscribed to online live coverage, but dreading an objective commentary - even worse if it was by my Seppo bretheren. Need jingoistic, fiercely pro-Oz calling. Or at least Southern Hemisphere.

I'm pretty sure Universal Sports is broadcasting the games in the US free to air. It's typically on the digital subchannel of your local NBC affiliate. Not sure about the commentary though.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm pretty sure Universal Sports is broadcasting the games in the US free to air. It's typically on the digital subchannel of your local NBC affiliate. Not sure about the commentary though.

You're right - Universal has it on free to air, but focussing on Eagles games I think. They're also showing both semis on 24 hr delay but the final live.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Barney, where did you subscribe to online to get the games?
I have directv and universal sports but would like to watch as many games as possible.
Cheers

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The USA will probably get better free to air coverage than Australia...

M

monkeybutt

check abc.net.au for a live call. they did the tri nations online and will probably do wallaby games at least.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Barney, where did you subscribe to online to get the games?
I have directv and universal sports but would like to watch as many games as possible.
Cheers

JB - Go to the Universalsports.com website and you'll see the package there. I think it's about 150 USD for the entire tourney. The Universal Sports TV schedule is below:

Sept. 9, 2011 3:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
Opening Ceremonies Universal Sports

4:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
New Zealand vs. Tonga
Universal Sports

5 p.m. ET

Sept. 11, 2011 1 p.m. ET Ireland vs. USA
NBC

5 p.m. ET
Universal Sports

Sept. 15, 2011 3:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
Russia vs. USA
Universal Sports

8 p.m. ET

Sept. 23, 2011
4:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
Australia vs. USA
Universal Sports

8 p.m. ET

Sept. 27, 2011
2:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
Italy vs. USA
Universal Sports

8 p.m. ET

Oct. 2, 2011
3 p.m. ET
New Zealand vs. Canada
NBC

8 p.m. ET
Universal Sports

Oct. 15, 2011
4 a.m. ET (LIVE)
SF 1: Winner QF 1 vs. Winner QF 2
Universal Sports

5 p.m. ET

Oct. 16, 2011
4 a.m. ET (LIVE)
SF 2: Winner QF 3 vs. Winner QF 4
Universal Sports

5 p.m. ET

Oct. 21, 2011
3:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)
Third-Place Match
Universal Sports

7 p.m. ET

Oct. 23, 2011
3 p.m. ET
Final
NBC

8 p.m. ET
Universal Sports

R

RuckinGoodStats

I'm tweeting the stats on most of the games. Can't do much commentary in 140 charactors. Will be coding all, mostly for ref trends but pretty sure there will be little interest in some of the countries that are not SANZAR or 6 nations teams.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
The USA will probably get better free to air coverage than Australia...

Universal Sports on the free to air digital subchannel isn't HD, at least coming from Buffalo. They don't allocate much bandwidth to it because the main channel is HD(11 Mbit/s), then the two subchannels are SD(3.8 Mbit/s each), so the quality is not so great at times.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unfortunately universalsports.com will not let me subscribe for the online deal.
"we are unable to stream video in your area"

Any other packages that might be good floating around?
I will be moving around a little during the tournament. Should be here in the Bahamas for most of the pool games and in France for the semis, then back here for the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.