• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lucky Luke goooooooooooooooooone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Altho he lead the WP pretty well yesterday still good newd for our lot.
WP site
WP Rugby confirm Watson move to Bath
- Sunday, June 14, 2009
Vodacom Western Province and Stormers loose forward Luke Watson today confirmed a move to English Rugby Club Bath, at the end of the 2009 Absa Currie Cup season.

Watson who will lead Vodacom WP in the Absa Currie Cup competition in 2009 said,” Playing in the Cape for WP and the Stormers has been and remains a privilege. We still have some unfinished business in this year’s ABSA Currie Cup and I will be giving my all to help ensure a successful season for the team and the Newlands faithful.”

“Joining Bath at the end of hopefully a successful Vodacom WP season, represents a new beginning and an opportunity to grow and experience the game in the top echelons of Northern Hemisphere rugby. Whilst obviously sad to be leaving Western Province, where I have enjoyed my time immensely, I am looking forward to the new challenge that this opportunity will bring.”

Rob Wagner, MD of WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd said, “Luke always leads from the front and gives his all. Committed, passionate and a presence on the park he will be missed. We fully understand his reasons and wish him well in his new challenge at the end of our domestic season.”

Bath coach, Steve Meehan added, “Luke Watson is a very talented rugby player and an experienced leader who is yet to reach his peak. We are very happy to have him arriving at Bath, even though we may have to wait until November. We are certain he will have a huge impact.”

“Our discussions have been very straight forward and neither of us are in any doubt of the way Bath play their rugby and the responsibilities he will inherit.”

Luke made his Currie Cup debut for EP at age 18, and has recorded a total of 61 caps at Provincial level (playing for EP, the Sharks and WP). He made his Super Rugby debut playing for the Sharks in 2003 and has a total of 81 Super Rugby caps. He joined Vodacom WP in 2005 and has captained the senior professional team (WP & Stormers) on 33 occasions. Luke earned his 50th Stormers cap against the Sharks in the 2009 Vodacom Super 14 tournament.

LUKE WATSON PROFILE

Position: Loose forward
Date of Birth: 26.10.1983, Port Elizabeth
Height: 1.86m
Weight: 100kg
Club: SK Walmers

WP Debut: 2005 vs Cheetahs
WP Caps: 33
WP Points: 75 (15t)

Stormers
Debut: 2005 vs Sharks
Stormers
Caps: 60
Stormers

Springbok
Debut: 2007 vs Samoa
Springbok
Caps: 10
Springbok

Other representative honours:
SA Schools: 2001
SA under 19: 2002
SA under 21: 2004
SA Sevens: 2002
Please dont hit your arse when you close the door behind you! :lmao:

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think there is. Everyone is entitled to their views. Its ironic that LW has become a pariah for being strongly anti racist and rebelling against things that he (and others) view as representing apartheid in South Africa yet when a player is openly racist (eg Justin Harrison) he gets a suspension and its all forgotten within a few weeks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
His dad Cheeky cost him his Bok jersey telling Snor he is a baboon, what do you call that? Luke made up is own bed by trying the famous Dutchmen and puking on the Bok emblem. Those are one no Dutchmen wherever will never forget and to be honest myself a TB WP supporter find it difficult to support a team he is the captain. But he will move on with his soutie pal Skeate and Butchie, maybe the souties will understand him but in my eyes he maybe a good player but he is nothing more then a soutie spoiled brat and his dad using politics to get whatever he wants BUT Cheeky took it one step to far.

Luke Watson made my beloved team a joke wherever they play and I wont be surprise if both Jean and Schalkie force the WP aiseman to either remove him or they will go.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He could have kept his mouth shut but it was in the genes not to - which was both undiplomatic and silly from a rugby career point of view yet somehow admirable to outsiders over here for giving unrepentant Afrikaaners a final spray, as we saw it, right or wrong.

WP maybe better without him but he will be a lot better off getting out of the fishbowl he is in.

I wish him well.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Altho he lead the WP pretty well yesterday still good newd for our lot.
WP site
WP Rugby confirm Watson move to Bath
- Sunday, June 14, 2009
Vodacom Western Province and Stormers loose forward Luke Watson today confirmed a move to English Rugby Club Bath, at the end of the 2009 Absa Currie Cup season.

Watson who will lead Vodacom WP in the Absa Currie Cup competition in 2009 said,” Playing in the Cape for WP and the Stormers has been and remains a privilege. We still have some unfinished business in this year’s ABSA Currie Cup and I will be giving my all to help ensure a successful season for the team and the Newlands faithful.”

“Joining Bath at the end of hopefully a successful Vodacom WP season, represents a new beginning and an opportunity to grow and experience the game in the top echelons of Northern Hemisphere rugby. Whilst obviously sad to be leaving Western Province, where I have enjoyed my time immensely, I am looking forward to the new challenge that this opportunity will bring.”

Rob Wagner, MD of WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd said, “Luke always leads from the front and gives his all. Committed, passionate and a presence on the park he will be missed. We fully understand his reasons and wish him well in his new challenge at the end of our domestic season.”

Bath coach, Steve Meehan added, “Luke Watson is a very talented rugby player and an experienced leader who is yet to reach his peak. We are very happy to have him arriving at Bath, even though we may have to wait until November. We are certain he will have a huge impact.”

“Our discussions have been very straight forward and neither of us are in any doubt of the way Bath play their rugby and the responsibilities he will inherit.”

Luke made his Currie Cup debut for EP at age 18, and has recorded a total of 61 caps at Provincial level (playing for EP, the Sharks and WP). He made his Super Rugby debut playing for the Sharks in 2003 and has a total of 81 Super Rugby caps. He joined Vodacom WP in 2005 and has captained the senior professional team (WP & Stormers) on 33 occasions. Luke earned his 50th Stormers cap against the Sharks in the 2009 Vodacom Super 14 tournament.

LUKE WATSON PROFILE

Position: Loose forward
Date of Birth: 26.10.1983, Port Elizabeth
Height: 1.86m
Weight: 100kg
Club: SK Walmers

WP Debut: 2005 vs Cheetahs
WP Caps: 33
WP Points: 75 (15t)

Stormers
Debut: 2005 vs Sharks
Stormers
Caps: 60
Stormers

Springbok
Debut: 2007 vs Samoa
Springbok
Caps: 10
Springbok

Other representative honours:
SA Schools: 2001
SA under 19: 2002
SA under 21: 2004
SA Sevens: 2002
Please dont hit your arse when you close the door behind you! :lmao:

He is still young enough to make residency and play for England. :fishing

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look I try my outmost best to look past all the politics and to try and rate him only on his rugby abilities. Rassie tried his outmost best to acomodate him in every possible way, Vermeulens move to 7 and Francois Louw have to miss out. But in the SA picture on merit he aint even close as a 8 neither as a open sider. Now WP have a stock of young talent coming through, You saw Pieter Louw this weekend against the Lions. His best position is 8, thats where he played all his schoolboy rugby and he had to adabt the opensider role. I have mentioned Francois Louw, you saw him a few times in the Stormers jersey but there still is another Pieter waiting in the cold to get his change, Pieter Myburgh it is. This three are the young kids on the block and are just waiting to break through at provincial level. They came a long way and played at the highest level in SA youth teams from schoolboy level. So I am trying to tell that the next generation is sitting at Maties waiting to get their change in the WP jersey and we already saw Robbie Diack left for the NH. 6 Pieter Myburgh, 7 Francois Louw & 8 Pieter Louw, thats where they played and only need their change to settle in.

So in my books and the amount of damaged he have to done to the blue & white hoops , good luck to Kots Watson and if I never see you again, good.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Blue said:
He is still young enough to make residency and play for England. :fishing
We can't even have that straw to clutch, after his daddy forced him into the Samoa test in 2007.

Too small and short to be a Saffa loose forward. He should have taken Jake White's advice and switched to hooker.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Just want to mention some other info. I know Pieter Louw very well in fact I met his dad and is friends with his grand dad. You wont get harder and tougher Wes Coast bred people like Pieter. They are the biggest Galpille (Paarl Boishaaiers) around. Francois Louws rugby blood run deep as the grandson of Jan Bull Pickhardt, a Paarl Gym legend (our main field is named after him and donater of the grounds where Paarl Gym High is built on) Hard as nails I tell you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Outta the pen of Paul Dobson about the Lion tours history
1903 - tour of reconciliation
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:21

South Africa was patching itself together after the divisive horrors of the Anglo-Boer War when a touring team calling itself the English Touring Team came out, using rugby to unite Boer and Brit - and it did.

They played 22 matches including three Tests and were conciliatory enough to lose the very first match that they played though they may well not have had their land legs by then.

They left Southampton on board the Briton on 20 June 1903 and landed in Cape Town on 7 July and were put up in the Grand Hotel which the Scot Western Province Scott described as "not very good". They then had lunch with the Mayor of Cape Town and went to Newlands and "had some running about" before going to the theatre in the evening to see 'My Lady Molly'.

On the Wednesday they again went to Newlands for a run and then the next day they played and lost. Scott's diary says only: "Played Country Clubs lost." The Country Clubs (Paarl, Stellenbosch, Worcester and Wellington) were captained by Oubaas Markötter. In fact they lost their first three matches - to Country Clubs, Western Province Town Clubs and Western Province, all within five days.

Of their 22 matches they won 11, lost 8 and drew 3, which was fair conciliatory, but the first Test of that series could not have been better scripted for reconciliation.

The match was played in Johannesburg. The captain of the tourists was a Scot - Mark Morrison. The captain of South Africa was a Scot - Alexander Frew who had played for Scotland under Morrison before coming to South Africa to work as a doctor in the concentration camp, thus trying to help the Boers. The referee was a Scot, Bill Donaldson who had come to South Africa to fight in the war. The result of all this Scottish-ness was a draw 10-all. How's that for reconciliation!
The second Test was also a draw and then came the ceding third Test at Newlands, again with Fairy Heatlie as captain and again he produced the green jerseys and again South Africa won, thus winning the series for the first time. The next time they lost a series was in 1956 in New Zealand.

The lasting legacy this time was the Springbok. For the tour Gerald Orpen had proposed that caps be produced with the Springbok head on them. This was approved by the South African Rugby Board but did not eventuate as such things had to be done in England and there was no time for that. But the idea of the Springbok as a badge was accepted then.

The first three touring teams had done South Africa proud - generated interest in the game, brought the Currie Cup, saw the introduction of the green jerseys in 1896 which were confirmed in 1903 and helped to introduce the Springbok as the proud emblem of South African rugby.
Now how the hell do you want to puke on such a important emblem, going back to 1903 when the word apartheid havent been discovered.

Thats the one that bolster the hate towards Boere, we taught our kids as 7 year old to play for his jersey. :nta:

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
He could have kept his mouth shut but it was in the genes not to - which was both undiplomatic and silly from a rugby career point of view yet somehow admirable to outsiders over here for giving unrepentant Afrikaaners a final spray, as we saw it, right or wrong.

He didn't have to give "repentant Afrikaaners" - the vast, vast majority of those old enough to have had any impact - and those Afrikaaners far too young to have been a factor, the same spray, did he?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Biff, it's my understanding that the majority of humans in South Africa would like the Springbok emblem removed. Of course, I hope that they don't do it, but instead, find a middle way.

As I've said before, I feel that Mandela's gesture in 1995 ought to have been enough to move forward with, but maybe not for some people.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Springbok embled biggest enemies are Komphela & Stofile. Luckily it look like Zuma likes the Bokkie, so it is safe. Actuallt was hoping Zuma would have kicked out Stofile but they sort of stay, so you can expect them to hit back at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.