• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
Manly took out U17's title.
More impressive victory due to the team having only 4 on the bench including 2 under 16's, 3 on the bench on day 1. Played most of the Grand final without Ben Crerar. Coach was "Trigger". Laurence Cronin was manager. Most other teams had a full 23 boy squad with a coaching/management team size that the Wallabies would be proud of.

No U16's team.
If there was a U15 or U14 team, they did not progress to Semi Finals.

By all accounts MMM were doing well in the U11's.

Rod Dew

Frank Row (1)
So any thoughts on the conspiracy theory that Damien Hill withheld Marlins Rebels players from being available against his old team Uni?
Blakey and Turtle were animated about not getting them...

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The 1st grade colts game at Uni yesterday promised to be the game of the year so far in Colts and it certainly delivered yesterday. 1v2, best 2 attacking and defensive records, one undefeated and one with a very close loss earlier in the year. It was also the only time these two sides would meet outside the semis so payback for the loser would be a long time coming. The game could have been damaged with both sides having players missing but thankfully this was not the case.

As the teams were warming up I was taken by the size of one of the Uni locks. Massive player who stood head and shoulders over everyone and easily outweighed every other forward. No surprise to find out that it was Willie Skelton's brother.

The game commenced and Manly were able to control the ball and kept pressure on Uni for the first 10 minutes with a goodvcombination of strong forward play and some hard direct runing from their inside backs but Uni were showing why they have the best defensive record and were able to withstand all that Manly threw at them. When Uni got the ball they looked dangerous and were looking to throw the ball wide and use their very fast outside backs. However, manly with some great defence and a lot of good scrambling cover were able to make sure that the early score remained even at nil all.

After about 15 minutes Manly scored first from a penalty. From the restart Manly kept ball in hand with a game plan of not kicking too much and giving the Uni back three any chance to counter-attack. Manly's back row began to make inroads and the no.7 made a great break and had the 8 in support who beat a couple of tackles to be bought down just short of the line. This gave Manly field position and allowed them to pressure Uni again. From a scrum and a couple of rucks Manly spread the ball wide and the 8 again supporting the play well was able to cross in the corner. The conversion missed but Manly had the lead 8- nil.

This stirred Uni into action and from turnovers (Uni were very good at attacking the ball and stripping it to effect turnovers) scored twice In quick time to take a 10 - 8 lead. Manly regrouped and came back at Uni for sustained period. Good work by the 7 and 8 again saw the 8 make a long break up the middle which again put Manly in good field position. They again combined strong forward play and some good back line movement to recapture the lead when they scored in the corner. A good conversion saw Manly retake a 15 - 10 lead. With the half winding down Uni put pressure on Manly from another turnover and right on half time kicked a penalty to take the half time score to 15 - 13.

The second half commenced with Manly knowing that Uni were fired up to come back at them. However early on from one attacking play the Manly 14 took an intercept and after taking forward put in a kick to the middle of the field. The supporting Manly player was able to outpace the Uni defence over 20 meters to fall on the ball over the line to increase the Manly lead. The number on the scorer's jumper 1. That's right it was the prop who showed some great pace to score.

Uni didn't lay down and no Manly player expected them to. Uni threw everything at Manly but Manly had an answer for it. The forward work at the breakdown and in general play was hard and aggressive from both teams. Manly seemed to just shade Uni in the set pieces with a strong scrum and a couple of steals in the line outs. Uni have some quick outside backs and they tried to use them whenever they could. Again manly's defence stood strong with the centre pairing making their tackles. One unfortunate event though was a serious looking injury to the Uni 14, one of the quickest players I have seen this year. Hope he is alright.

The other Uni winger showed good pace and strength to score a try in the half but every time Uni were able to score Manly were able to counter with a score of their own. In the second half Uni scored three unconverted tries whereas Manly were able to score three tries, convert 2 and kick a couple of penalties.

Uni were possibly the fitter of the two sides and appeared to be physically stronger than Manly. However,Manly were committed to what they were doing and stuck to their game plan. Best for Manly was the entire team but mention is made of the 1, 5 and 8 and in the backs 10, 12, 14 and 15. Uni were best served by the 6 and 8 and in the backs I thought that 13 and 11 were good

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
So any thoughts on the conspiracy theory that Damien Hill withheld Marlins Rebels players from being available against his old team Uni?
Blakey and Turtle were animated about not getting them.
He also witheld 9 Uni players. That said though, it was disappointing that he did allow Tim Davidson and Alex Rokobaro to play. One rule for one club and another for them. Not surprised though given how many Uni players have been gifted Super 15 spots under Hills time at the helm.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Playing Randwick on Ladies day with Randwick in Pink.
Randwick have listed a 7 at inside centre to look after Gilmore.

This is a must win game with the ladder showing any team has the capacity to cause damage to a team that does not turn up.

Across all grades and colts, as Club Championship is tight at the top.

The Galloping Galahs have been putting some great effort into promoting rugby and re-invigorating the club particularly after a lacklustre season last year. Sitting 7th on the table behind the MMMs 5th place means this is an important game as we move passed the halfway mark of the season.
“We need to play with grit,” said MMM coach Phil Blake commenting on the fall away of concentration and execution in the last quarter of the last few games. Hopefully the MMMs will take a leaf out of the Brumbies gutsy book against the Lions on Tuesday; holding their own against far more experienced players.
“We continue to work and basic things like chasing kicks and passing the ball well. It is all about execution,” added Phil.
“We’ve had a few hard training nights on Mon and Tues. We have to eliminate the basic errors or it will kill our season,” said captain and prop Tim Fairbrother. “The senior players need to step up and take the lead.”
Another facet of the Brumbies win was the use of fresh talent mixed with some experienced heads.
Big and powerful centre Peter Gilmore came back into 1st grade against Uni last weekend after a 6 week injury lay off. “Yeah I damaged and ankle ligament in training before the Eastwood game,” he said. “Brian (Sefanaia) and I complement each other in the centres. I am a crash baller taking it up to the line and Brian has great footwork and finds the gaps.”

Gilmore grew up through the Manly Roos junior club and played Aussie school boys in 2009. He played colts over a few years and then graduated to grade but had a bad ankle injury which took him out for most of 2012. “I’d like to get to the next level. Hopefully I can play some good games but right now I need to work on my fitness after six weeks off injured. There always things to work on with your game as well.”

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
After being away in Fiji for the Uni game, turned up to the Wicks and atrocious conditions. 3s and 4s had been moved so can't comment.
Two weeks ago 2's were 9 from 9 and I thought we would be in with a good chance. Our line out ball was rarely clean, and the Wicks forwards savaged on the loose ball. Their back line play was very slick in wet conditions, at the break given the missed conversions I was hoping we were still in it. After the break our defence held for a while then it opened and we were beaten by quality rugby.

Last 2 away wet games Parra, Souths, (& woodies last year) caused some nerves after seeing 2's, and hearing about the Wicks of '13.
A new halves combo, and new centre combo, was also an unknown quantity for the day with Fabian making grade debut, and Malie making his long awaited comeback from a knee injury.
The set pieces were very even, Manly was slightly stronger in/around the ruck.
Gilmore was strong on his feet.
Often creating space on the outside and Woodhouse and Hooper had some good runs through the space Gilmore created.
What gave us the win is the hard work and communication in D in the second half, to let in only one try against the second best attacking team in the comp to date.

In defence a new bench mark to improve on.

Good to see Malie back and having a very strong game in Defence, can't wait to see him unleash in attack on a dry pitch.

Why the ref didn't go to the video when Kotoni crossed in the last 5 minutes I have no idea???

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dave Beat, I think that Fabian Natoli was Auggies class of 2012. No longer a schoolboy.

He played very well for a lad on first grade debut.

There had been some talk that he was playing for the dark side while he was at School.

Looks like he made a wise decision.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
He is not allowed to. He doesn't have the expanded TMO powers of super rugby. He can only check footage of the act of scoring.

Thanks for that, being there and seeing a penalty I thought it might of been foul play or something, glad it didn't effect the result

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Dave, I see the waratahs website has awarded the try to Milroy but the ABC (quoting the TMO) said it was the player who followed up and dived on the ball after it was pulled loose by Horwitz. What's the word in the Manly camp?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
the coach
I was out there, just saw water flying.
Watching it on Sunday, I would have given it to Kotoni, I think he was also done by in the last 5 minutes but that's rugby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Chatter on he Lions thread about the Wallaby back row, who to go with?
Why not an entire Marlin back row
6 Smith
7 Hooper
8 Palu
Would be great seeing them all pulling on the Blue Jersey later this year, could Smith's Brumbies contract finish after the Soup, and would Suntory / Eddie be good to Manly for old time sake (oh, and then I wake up).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Big weekend for rugby this weekend and the club rugby forums have remained very quite;

3 Marlins pulling on the gold jersey, what clubs have greater representation, and what a way for G Smith to go out!

Travelling to take on the Woods this weekend and they are entrenched at the top of the table in Firsts, and sitting nicely in all other grades. Eastwood have retained the same nucleus pretty much the whole season – a team that is sprinkled with fringe S15 players.

We’ve retained the same team over the last couple of weeks, the forwards have laid the foundations and the back have down there job. Still injured is Brian Sefania, and Will Helu, and there was a write up in last weeks rugby news that goal kicking ace Adam Darcy is returning from the UK.

Eastwood beat the wicks throughout the grades last week, so we will need to turn up – seconds is looking strong from 1 – 15 with Ed Gower being part of a strong forward pack. Adam is returning to half after a couple of weeks on the sideline, Reti has returned to his season starting position at 13 and forms a strong centre pairing with Christie, and there is plent of speed on the wings with return Aust U20 Alex Northam returning.

Colts go their separate way this week taking on Southern Dist down south, one of their numerous away games on the trip home. Rhys and Daniel are out through injuries. And we have returning Reece, and Foketi return from Aust U20 duties / Rory, and Fakai from some time in 1st grade last week. When you throw in Fabian, Rhys, Matt into the mix look out at finals time.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Good luck tomorrow Dave!
I hope the track at Milner has recovered from the rain.
I'm looking forward to watching a good open attacking game on the ABC, but clearly the Marlins will need to match the Woods in the forwards to stand a chance.
The Wicks did win 3rds and 4ths last week by competing hard in the wet and eventually the backs got on top.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Good luck tomorrow Dave!
I hope the track at Milner has recovered from the rain.
I'm looking forward to watching a good open attacking game on the ABC, but clearly the Marlins will need to match the Woods in the forwards to stand a chance.
The Wicks did win 3rds and 4ths last week by competing hard in the wet and eventually the backs got on top.
Cheers coach, thanks for the correction in 3s, & 4's (mis read a Woods twitter tread) - they are equally as important to the club culture. I think we can match them in the forwards, I think our backs are very comparable - however they have had stability throughout the season / seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.