• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Manly 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Colts2014Information.jpg

Why not start early, one step further in 2014.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
@hugh jarse it's started, just been busy fishing.
Great seeing the Marlins at all the junior registration days yesterday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apologies @Dave Beat.

I was excited to see G&GR forums getting a plug on a club web site. The MMM2013 thread popped up first on the Club Rugby Forum.

There is nothing better than First Grade players showing up to junior village club events to reinforce that there is a pathway from Under 6's to First Grade (and beyond).

Well done by the MMM executive. Little wonder that they get good crowds at home games.

DTS

Stan Wickham (3)
I have to agree - seeing all the marlins players at the junior club registration days was fantastic and had a real impact on the parents and youngsters signing up, there was even some impromptu coaching sessions by all accounts.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Apologies @Dave Beat.

I was excited to see G&GR forums getting a plug on a club web site. The MMM2013 thread popped up first on the Club Rugby Forum.

There is nothing better than First Grade players showing up to junior village club events to reinforce that there is a pathway from Under 6's to First Grade (and beyond).

Well done by the MMM executive. Little wonder that they get good crowds at home games.

There we go H J up and running with the link to gagr http://www.manlyrugby.com.au/manly-marlins-sponsors-mainmenu-56
- season getting, cant wait.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Last couple of years a colt has stepped up and made a statement in grade;
2012 Jordy Reid
2013 Dave Porecki
2014 players to watch - Alex Northam, and Rhys Dombkins

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How does the revised player points cap (2014) version look when applied to the MMM 1's and Colts I's this year?

The revised points system seems to not be as generous as previously towards players that stick with a club that developed them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kind of answered already here.

ILtW i enjoy watching games, and my kids use this sort of paper for drawing.
The way i read it at a glance 1st = 40 & 2nds = 30.
The returning colts have to fit under, same rule applies for all clubs.
Alex Northam, and Rhys Dombkins are up in grade, and Lala is down with the Rebels, however there are 6 U20's on the tahs roster - Rory O'Connor, Siotame Kavapalu, Matt Philip, Ellis Abrahams, Benson Fakai and Fabian Natoli + Reece Hodge who suffered the ankle injury in last years GF.

Last year Natoli, and Northam spent some time up in grade - maybe clubs look at balancing / promoting with grade as they start developing more players.
It will be a challenge but probably not insurmountable.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Kind of answered already here.

It will be a challenge but probably not insurmountable.

With the hard work Manly has done with their academy over the last couple of years I believe it will strengthen colts position.

With all the commentary in the decline of junior rugby thread I think there should be motivational and measurable structures put in place for clubs to develop juniors.
This is a whole other topic so please hunt down that thread and add constructive thoughts.
I don't think clubs should loose developed players when they are already loosing players to other Super provinces.
Hard to work out identifiable measuring sticks though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One concern I have with the 2014 points system is that it may encourage clubs to promote kids out of Colts to grade too early, particularly, if like MMM, they have developed a great cohort of loyal and skilled kids that are now worth a stack of player points.

Many kids handle an early jump to grade well. For some precocious talent, a premature promotion to grade can result in them exiting the game through injuries (young bodies vs hardened developed bodies that know all the tricks) or significant loss of confidence.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
One concern I have with the 2014 points system is that it may encourage clubs to promote kids out of Colts to grade too early, particularly, if like MMM, they have developed a great cohort of loyal and skilled kids that are now worth a stack of player points.

Many kids handle an early jump to grade well. For some precocious talent, a premature promotion to grade can result in them exiting the game through injuries (young bodies vs hardened developed bodies that know all the tricks) or significant loss of confidence.

Agreed - it comes down coaches and managing player and player well fare, Fabian and Northam were managed well last year and some of this years colts have already had some time up in grade.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Had a look at the teams for this week - lots of depth throughout the club in most positions and all teams look really strong. I wouldn't mind having something on Manly to take out the Club Championship this year

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Had a look at the teams for this week - lots of depth throughout the club in most positions and all teams look really strong. I wouldn't mind having something on Manly to take out the Club Championship this year

I wasn't wanting to put the mocka on them before the seasons started, keen to see how the # 10 in 2s goes. Chesters had an awesome year last year had some time in 1's where he cut the opposition open.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A really good start for Manly at Foreshore today. As has been said it is always difficult there.

The day started well with both 3's and 4's having big wins. Both these sides have a lot of talent and should do well this year. The 2's had the performance of the day IMO. They played well to have a good lead at half-time but then had to withstand a Souths fight back and a horrendous penalty count. They had to play the last 10 minutes with 13 players and only a 6 point lead. Guts and effort saw them hold out and eventually get a penalty right on full- time which they converted from half- way for a good 9 point win.

First grade, looking a bit rusty at times, played well for a 43-28 win. A big and classy side they will improve with the outing and look forward to the trip to Parramatta next week.

4 wins, all with bonus points, against strong sides away from home. A good start and hopefully they will go on from here.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes very clinical in all grades, great day out.
Thought the defensive chatter and structure was on the money in all grades.

Was concerned at the break in ones, twitter said we were running into a 14 point wind and that brought back memories of the semi against Souths in 2012.

Set pieces were equal, but we dominated in the loose with good go forward and body height consistently crossing the add line and that gave our outside backs greater space. Our forwards, and centre pairing made them work hard to get over the add line.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Off to a great start in grade for Club Championship but someone better tell the colts they are important contributors on that front. Even allowing for absent U/20's yesterdays results at Keirle Park very disappointing

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Off to a great start in grade for Club Championship but someone better tell the colts they are important contributors on that front. Even allowing for absent U/20's yesterdays results at Keirle Park very disappointing

I'm sure Jono will be following your instructions this week Bomber.

Status
Not open for further replies.