• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mark Ella calls it like it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
DPK,

I should have said bigger and/or tougher, but try this:

Ant Fa'ainga is tougher than Giteau
Cross is bigger and as tough as Giteau
Hynes is tougher than Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)
Chambers is bigger than Horne
Turner is tougher than Mitchell

You can't tell me you think it is a good idea that we have Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell and Giteau in the team at the same time? We have options - yes they are less tried, but they also have more potential.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
You're right about the backs, no problems there - sure, you can hide one player in defense, but at the elite level (I use the term with respect to our opposition, btw...) you cant have 3 or 4 defensive liabilities on the field at the same time.

I was really referring to the forwards. A lot of people are talking about replacing the current forwards; well, who with?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not many options with the forwards until we get some back from injury. But a lot would suggest to give Hodgson more of a go instead of Brown and Simmons or Douglas instead of Chapman or Chisholm. I would also prefer Fitzpatrick on the bench instead of Edmonds. These guys might not yet be any tougher than the encumbents at Test level, but they have the potential to be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chambers and Fainga'a are two for starters. Both injured no unfortunately.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind a little bit of Tommy Carter there at the moment. At least you know he's going to truck it up.

Morty and Cross. Mitch Inman. Hynes (has deceptive strength to go with his deceptive speed - just for you Gagger).

Pat McCabe even!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wouldn't be looking at Fitzpatrick yet. He hasn't started a Super game this year. Did he last year?

I'd go Charles or Whitaker before him. I'd go HArdman before him.

Anyway, we'll have Moore back soon supposedly.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind a little bit of Tommy Carter there at the moment. At least you know he's going to truck it up.

I laughed, then I pondered, and i have to say I agree. But he would need to play the best game he has ever played... EVER, to get the job done better than the incumbents.

But then again, theoretically every player in the team should be aiming to play their best game ever when they run out for the Wallabies. Obviously they dont.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I was going to suggest Mitch Inman, but needs more time playing for the Force, and he will now with Cross gone.

Reactions: DPK

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, how about

Genia
Cooper
Digby
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (runs holes well, makes yards, tackles well and can do the "Nathan Grey" role as well as if not better than Faainga)
Horne (because Chambers is wounded)
Turner (because he defends well and works his arse off)
Hynes (best counter attacker in the country)

The thought process is that we need better "attacking" defenders and that Cooper needs more runners

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I wouldn't be unhappy with that team. I would love Turner to find some form at international level because he has all the qualities to make a real go of it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Great list fp, except AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might not ever pass. I wonder if 12. AFanger and 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might not work better?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hmmm I wonder if its time to give the crash ball runner 12 a decent go at the international level. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could be the man, probably not A. Fainga'a yet. Maybe even Horne.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great list fp, except AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might not ever pass. I wonder if 12. AFanger and 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might not work better?

True, but neither does faainger or did Grey very often and Cooper is prone to cut out inside units as needed, as did Larkham.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yep, I don't mind that backline.

Unfortunately if last weekend proved anything it proved that Rob Horne can't be relied upon to be a consistent test performer, at least yet. Injuries are going to prevent him from regular game time it seems.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yep, I don't mind that backline.

Unfortunately if last weekend proved anything it proved that Rob Horne can't be relied upon to be a consistent test performer, at least yet. Injuries are going to prevent him from regular game time it seems.

Amazing that rugby stats has Horne making one run in the game, one tackle and one missed tackle. The ball stopped at Gits, even AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) only made one run in 2nd half from 13.

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match3615.html

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Agree, except for Palu. I think he is the equal of any of those units.

Scarfie; he's not. Sorry, but he's not. He's not even as good as Leamy (who's a right hard-nosed whoor, and better than the show-boating Jimmy White-Boots Heaslip, for mine).

Hairydonkey is not only one of the most astonishing players with the ball in hand and out of touch you could hope to see, not only as cute as a shithouse rat, but he couldn't be more nails if he were being fired from a Hilti gun. Played the semi-final against Munster with his nose broken to buggery, and a face guard. Clearly got a rib broken, fifty minutes in. Five minutes later, Mushy creased him and clearly broke another two. Hairydonkey played on for another ten minutes.

The day Palu matches that - then he's world-class.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It's not an International Hardman Competition. It's a bloody no. 8 competition. I've played with broken ribs (well, a broken rib) for half an hour, but I was still shithouse.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's not an International Hardman Competition. It's a bloody no. 8 competition. I've played with broken ribs (well, a broken rib) for half an hour, but I was still shithouse.

Hardest man in the Aus team? Pocock's pretty hard, remember him fixing his dislocated thumb vs Wales last year?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
This has got me thinking. All this talk about the real tough, hard, feral forwards - has there ever been any backs that can claim similar honours. I'm not talking about your Nathan Greys or Mortlocks who love smashing the ball up or your Duncan Macraes who just loved smashing O'Gara's face up in a series of cheap shots. I mean the type of bloke who would rip your head off if he found out you were shagging his sister. Who would fight you - because he could. Who would take on some of our island friends if they took the piss - and win. Racking my brains and coming up blank. Maybe this is the true divide between forwards and backs. Although perhaps JOC (James O'Connor) could step up to the mark....;-)

T

TOCC

From QLD the two 'harder' players are probably Byrnes and Humphries, cant think of any backs that fit the description.

Status
Not open for further replies.