• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No he wouldn't. Not in a squad of 30/31
Can you honestly say he would feature before To'omua, Leali'ifano, Cooper and Foley?

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes Pat Howard and Rocky Elsom were fucking stars in Europe too. They came back and stunk the joint up

So what? And how many players in the currently Wallaby set up were doing great at Super rugby and didn't make their mark at international level?

Giteau has been epic the past two seasons in France. I do suspect a lot of people are suspicious after Elsom flopped a bit and I do suspect a bit of snobbery towards it as it is a Northern hemisphere club competition, but the guy is killing things up there. His link play is outstanding, he picks out runners with such ease. Folaus try rate would soar with this guy in the team.

T

Train Without a Station

So what? And how many players in the currently Wallaby set up were doing great at Super rugby and didn't make their mark at international level?

Giteau has been epic the past two seasons in France. I do suspect a lot of people are suspicious after Elsom flopped a bit and I do suspect a bit of snobbery towards it as it is a Northern hemisphere club competition, but the guy is killing things up there. His link play is outstanding, he picks out runners with such ease. Folaus try rate would soar with this guy in the team.

They stunk up Super Rugby level.

T

Train Without a Station

Anyone who is talking down Matt Gitaues current form/achievements in the Top 14, doesn't watch the top 14 or has an inflated view of Super Rugby. If Australia was to pick it's best squad and not just the ones who are in Australia, he'd be a certain selection.

Kinda like Juan Smith who was woeful for the Boks?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

If your forwards aren't dominating, no back is going to win you the game or have the luxury of epic play.

Too many variables.

But sure, let's give player power another feather in its cap. Let's give someone who left Australian rugby a shot at the wallabies.

Then let's watch RUPA argue precedence to allow our best and brightest to go overseas for big money. And then let's watch our super rugby teams fall in a heap.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Tomikin,

I believe it's "moot". Unless you were looking to make a silent point.

With regards to form. He's an absolute class player. But that class is only seen with other quality players around him. He seems to struggle with being the primary attacking option. That is what people forget.

You cannot play like he does without skill and ability. But he cannot, without the quality around him. That is not guaranteed at international level.

I am delighted that Giteau has won this award - it is tremendous for him. I also remember the frankly dismal form he was in by the time he played his last test for australia, and I remember that most people saw his being left out of the squad as almost a 'blessed release'...

If he is happier now, and in form thats fantastic - but Australia needs to look forward to the next 5 years, not backwards, and at his age, he is not the way forward for us...

I also remember that he was one of the early warning bells of all the nonsense that has followed with since with Beale, Cooper, O'Connor et al... and the last thing we need at the moment is more of that attitude in the Camp.

I will be watching Cooper with great interest this EOYT - it appears that he may be in the mindset and attitude that allows him to become the player he has long-threatened to become...

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Lovely made tribute to the guy. By my reckoning Gits, BOD and Carter are the three defining backs on the professional era.

I'm a Gits fan, but one of the "three defining backs of the professional era", really? I wouldn't even have him as one of the three defining backs from the Brumbies during the professional era. Larkham, Gregan, Mortlock and Roff would all be ahead of him.

Though I guess jumping ship to take the Force's money certainly meets the definition of "professional". Just unfortunate for him that the Firepower money was a sham.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lovely made tribute to the guy. By my reckoning Gits, BOD and Carter are the three defining backs on the professional era.

Interesting trio there BBE.

Can see why the inclusion of BOD, awesome player. Great in attack, inspirational leader, 100 plus tests for a tier 1 nation. And Carter, the sweeping left boot, the best defensive 1st 5 I've seen, has so much time when in attack.

However before Giteau's name would come into consideration I reckon theses guys would feature:

Umaga
Mortlock
Wilkinson
Robinson
FdP
Nonu
Lomu (2000 winning try)
Gregan
Larkham

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Perhaps I was a bit over zealous putting him in the top three pro backs of this era.

Maybe my opinion is better expressed by stating I believe between 04/05 -09 he was top three.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Perhaps I was a bit over zealous putting him in the top three pro backs of this era.

Maybe my opinion is better expressed by stating I believe between 04/05 -09 he was top three.

Are you Git's brother or something?!? The guy was one of the most over-rated Aussie players and won't ever be remembered as a dominant Test force in any era.

A very good player but not much more. And I've yet to see a player spend any meaningful time in the NH and come back to Aus/NZ as better players.

Sent from my iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.