• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Media talks in chaos - no Australian press at the World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...media-talks-fail/story-e6frg996-1226121133323

Rugby World Cup coverage in chaos as media talks fail Simon Canning

MEDIA coverage of the Rugby World Cup has been thrown into chaos less than three weeks before the opening game after talks over media accreditation failed.

The Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers' Association has announced Australian newspaper publishers have refused to agree to accreditation demands by the International Rugby Board.

PANPA chief executive Mark Hollands has described the impasse as "regrettable" coming after months of negotiations over how media companies, including News Limited, publisher of The Australian, would be able to report on the World Cup online.

The Australian first revealed the impasse in June after the IRB said that journalists would not be accredited if their employers did not agree to restrictions on how content such as video was used on their websites.

The decision by Australian media companies means News Limted, Fairfax Media and AAP will not cover the rugby union showcase from within venues and may not send journalists to New Zeland at all.

A

Army_Gav

Might be a win for us, in terms of credibility. The obvious loss is no attention on the World Cup itself.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Bit hard to know what is going on from that report. Pretty cryptic. I'd be very surprised if the situation does not change.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just says they can't report from within venues.

Grumbles & co will just have to watch on tv then.

A

Army_Gav

I can't see this being a win at all. For the profile of the game, we need media, and as much of it as possible at the RWC.

Although if GAGR turns out to be the only Australian organ covering the World Cup then world domination could be closer than we thought

Notice the end of the statement?

A

antipodean

Are they the only media that haven't agreed?

Wonder what the sticking point(s) is (are).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The decision by Australian media companies means News Limted, Fairfax Media and AAP will not cover the rugby union showcase from within venues and may not send journalists to New Zeland at all.

I'm beginning to see why the IRB put those demands in place, they can't even spell the country correctly.

How can they be taken seriously if they can't even proof-read their own articles.

D

Dimism

Are they the only media that haven't agreed?

According to the NZ Herald...

"The IRB believes newspaper publishers should be restricted in the quantity of video they may use for reporting news on digital platforms.

The IRB also demands newspaper publishers should not be able to place any video-based advertisements to accompany news coverage with clips of match highlights.

Newspaper publishers believe they will be at a commercial disadvantage to non-accredited media organisations, which would not be bound by the time restrictions on video footage and would be free to place advertising with their journalism."

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

According to Iain Payten from the Tele (via twitter) "its a dispute over online coverage; fair use of IRB footage for news and ads on video content"

Says he will still be going to NZ, but will just have to try and work outside the system.

It will certainly make it harder to write match reports as they won't be in the press box and in contact with the Wallabies, their coaches and their media staff. Hence they won't know why player X went off injured, or player Y was a late withdrawl etc. They will find out eventually but not for their quick match report you would think.

As for day-to-day reporting, I don't know. Do the IRB have control of the training venues? That could make it even trickier. Then they wouldn't have any idea what the starting team might be, who pulled up injured in training etc.

Basically the big losers in this are us, the Australian rugby public. Hopefully it can be resolved, but it sounds unlikely.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
According to the NZ Herald...

"The IRB believes newspaper publishers should be restricted in the quantity of video they may use for reporting news on digital platforms.

The IRB also demands newspaper publishers should not be able to place any video-based advertisements to accompany news coverage with clips of match highlights.

Newspaper publishers believe they will be at a commercial disadvantage to non-accredited media organisations, which would not be bound by the time restrictions on video footage and would be free to place advertising with their journalism."

When I read that I have to side with our guys. What right do the IRB have to ban advertising on RWC footage? They have to make money somehow FFS, they aren't a community service.

It sounds like typical IRB arrogance to me. What a surprise!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
There would also be pressure from official RWC sponsors not wanting competitors linking themselves to the event.
Just look at the Wallabies RWC squad announcement. At no point was the phrase World Cup said since Emirates are the RWC sponsors.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
on the plus side, no more bullshit stories...

Agree.. hopefully this means we wont have Aussie journos writing stories that attempt to derail our campaign, as we've seen this week.

I generally have nothing but distain for journos, and whilst it is important that our newspapers cover our game's showpiece, it warms my heart to know that someone in aus there's a journo who has realised he's not going to the WC after all.

T

tblackadder

Its strange to have such a dispute so close to the start of the Cup

The use of footage is a copyright issue but there is an exception for news reporting which newspapers obviously rely on

In Aust there are fairly well established protocols over how many minutes of footage you can use in order to report the news (ie. how many minutes of third party footage can fox sports use in their sports wrap up).....

locking out the papers from a whoel region or country is hardly going to help the irb selling the rights to the new country or to new sponsors in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.