• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
For what it's worth I don't know anyone on this side of the country who thinks reducing the number of teams is good for the game in this country. And most I talk with have a deep sympathy for the players, their families and the loyal supporters. Having been through this ourselves I understand the anger and the frustration - you all deserve better than this.
❤️❤️

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
What a massive misfire by RA to drop the Force and support rugby in Victoria where any contact sport that is not AFL goes to suffer and die slowly.
Stillmisssit I think the Storm are going alright would be in the top 5 or 6 NRL teams for membership and crowds.

Reason RA dropped the Force was because it was easier logistically. The Force had prior to 2017 signed control over to RA. So RA could turn the lights off without any legal action. Whereas if they had have dropped the Rebels there would have been lawyers at 30 paces.

RA really got played by Rugby South Africa, who agreed to drop teams knowing full well those teams would be moving to Europe. Whereas RA agreed to drop a team and had no other competition lined up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For what it's worth I don't know anyone on this side of the country who thinks reducing the number of teams is good for the game in this country. And most I talk with have a deep sympathy for the players, their families and the loyal supporters. Having been through this ourselves I understand the anger and the frustration - you all deserve better than this.

have a read of that Force fan forum. Some ‘hot’ takes there.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a genuine question. I didn't say I think the rebels should go and I don't hate any super rugby team. Yes I thought they should have gone over the Force and it's taking a while but it's starting to be proven that would have been the right decision.
Convenient to forget that Rugby WA were seeking a bailout from the WA government prior to Twiggy saving the day...

Despite their financial mismanagement, at least Victoria's pathways are producing players (and Wallabies at that). Remind us how many WA-products are in the Force squad this year? Four is it?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
100 percent

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
T
Convenient to forget that Rugby WA were seeking a bailout from the WA government prior to Twiggy saving the day...

Despite their financial mismanagement, at least Victoria's pathways are producing players (and Wallabies at that). Remind us how many WA-products are in the Force squad this year? Four is it?
The force have developed multiple wallabies in their professional game. who have Melbourne produced ? Players born and played professional rugby in Melbourne to make the wallabies ?

I asked a question about the rebels financial state and if they could afford to play out the year? Why start bringing up random things to a question like that. This has nothing to do with the force.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
T

The force have developed multiple wallabies in their professional game. who have Melbourne produced ? Players born and played professional rugby in Melbourne to make the wallabies ?

I asked a question about the rebels financial state and if they could afford to play out the year? Why start bringing up random things to a question like that. This has nothing to do with the force.
Try the John Eales medalist to begin with champion

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
have a read of that Force fan forum. Some ‘hot’ takes there.
Can't blame people for still being pissed off that their team got booted from the comp. Especially when it's been proven it was the wrong decision. Personally I would prefer the rebels to be in the comp. The more Aussie rugby I can watch the better !

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
T

Leota, Pone, Hosea…. Want more?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Why do you guys start talking about why you think the rugby wa isn't as good as Vic? It's got nothing to do with the issue and the fact it's looking like the rebels will just be in more and more debt this year which is not good

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
What's the population of Melbourne? Victoria should produce 3 times the crowd and players
Again, why are you making this about the force ?
lol you are the only one making it about the Force. If you want to talk force surely you have your own thread

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
lol you are the only one making it about the Force. If you want to talk force surely you have your own thread
Wtf are you on about. I didn't mention the force once. Until a bunch of rebels fans started dogging the force. I understand you guys are emotional. All the best this year. Hopefully the rebels go out with their best season to date

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
There is the key phrase - we've very much moved on from the 90's here in terms of Rugby. It's a FAR more vibrant community, spread across many regions and communities.
My old club / Frankston/ Southern Districts didnt field a senior side last year - they are trying to get 1 up and running this year so dont know how that vibrancy is going with established teams failing to run senior sides

Last edited:

Yoda

Billy Sheehan (19)
So grim.

it’s such a pity because from Rebels’ support and crowds you’d think rugby union in Vic is a dead end. But there are so many fans here, just look at a sold out MCG. rebels fans is a small circle that sits within the much larger circle of Victorians who are rugby fans.

dunno who to blame there, RV failing to engage those fans. The fans for not caring for local. Bit late now.
A sold out MCG. Wouldn’t that be a majority of Interstate people flying down? Or Rugby people from overseas and interstate living in Melbourne? None of my Melbourne mates are interested in rugby. It’s AFL all the way.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
My old club / Frankston/ Southern Districts didnt field a senior side last year - they are trying to get 1 up and running this year so dont know how that vibrancy is going with established teams failing to run senior sides
They haven't been around for a few years, a new league club started up down that way and most of the players jumped to that or retired.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A sold out MCG. Wouldn’t that be a majority of Interstate people flying down? Or Rugby people from overseas and interstate living in Melbourne? None of my Melbourne mates are interested in rugby. It’s AFL all the way.
These people. Rugby fans living breathing working paying taxes in Victoria. Rugby Union fans happy to go to a Bled or a RWC but don't support the Rebels. Surely easiest latent population to convert and a shame that Rebels didn't manage it.

Sometimes I think a Kiwi Melbourne would have more success than the Rebels.