• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Kob you sitting on the mother of all insider gossip?

Yeah obviously people would be back. I'd be amazed if this happened in the next 10 years though.
No I was just curious as to what the attitude was as to whether it had to be the Rebels or just a professional team.

I genuinely don't think that RA want to kill off pro rugby in Victoria, I don't know what the specific motive was to vote against the consortium but it certainly does have hairs all over it at this stage. My guess is that RA paying the Rebels players for the rest of this contract year enabled them to bring RV into their centralisation plans - they want to distance themselves from the Rebels mismanagement as well. Backing the consortium at this early stage would potentially open up a can of worms.

On your last point, if we leave Super Rugby, or it just implodes finally, then something will emerge in it's place, and I'm pretty sure whatever that is would include a team in Melbourne. It could be as early as 2026. The other alternative is planting a team in Melbourne in Super Rugby that's not called the Rebels - I'm aware of the issues re a 'phantom' team but there are legitimate ways around that.

5StarStu

Bob McCowan (2)
Is Melbourne really the nation's sporting capital? Yes they get big crowds for AFL but this concept that Melburnians will support any sport has (I think) been proven incorrect with the poor support for the Rebels and things like the rugby magic round. RA needed (still needs) to look at the AFL expansion model and really put support into a team in a non-rugby location and work on developing the interest, like the AFL has done in Qld and NSW. But that of course takes money and rugby isn't making it. I want the Rebels to succeed and to keep a team in Melbourne but overall rugby isn't looking good. There was a bigger crowd for the women's State of Origin on a Thursday night in Brisbane than the last Reds game on a Friday night.
I think your second point answers your first point. AFL doesn’t throw money at GWS and GC in the hope that they’d work - they’ve invested in those areas because they know if they do, it will work.
It’s no coincidence that the team pulling the biggest crowds at AAMI at the moment is the Melbourne Storm - a sport that has very limited roots in the state but was given the support it needed to be successful and has remained so.

Dirkgee96

Frank Row (1)
If that's the last home game I think they went out well. A win would have been fantastic and just 1 less unforced error might have gotten it, but this is the Chiefs who are very good.

Hopefully it's not the last game but I don't have a good feeling about the future

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think your second point answers your first point. AFL doesn’t throw money at GWS and GC in the hope that they’d work - they’ve invested in those areas because they know if they do, it will work.
It’s no coincidence that the team pulling the biggest crowds at AAMI at the moment is the Melbourne Storm - a sport that has very limited roots in the state but was given the support it needed to be successful and has remained so.
100%, it will overtake rugby soon as a participation sport but less people play league here than soccer or union yet the Storm get the crowds

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
And just like that, I’m reminded why I left. If you’ve got a bunch of people processing the likely loss of a team that they love and that many have actively and directly worked in support of over many years, maybe let them instead of calling them stupid?
100% massive sense of entitlement from those north of the border. It’s embarrassing really

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
100%, it will overtake rugby soon as a participation sport but less people play league here than soccer or union yet the Storm get the crowds
I think you may find the particapation may not overtake rugby etc, as WOB pointed out Warriors in NZ have actually really semed to of pushed back the numbers particapating here. A reasonable number of people I know that play/follow rugby at club level, don't really watch a hell of a lot.

I will say that I stayed up and watched game last night and it kind of felt a bit sad at end, even from here, and I not a Rebels supporter etc by any stretch. There seemed almost a finality about it even though they still got games to play.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you may find the particapation may not overtake rugby etc, as WOB pointed out Warriors in NZ have actually really semed to of pushed back the numbers particapating here. A reasonable number of people I know that play/follow rugby at club level, don't really watch a hell of a lot.

I will say that I stayed up and watched game last night and it kind of felt a bit sad at end, even from here, and I not a Rebels supporter etc by any stretch. There seemed almost a finality about it even though they still got games to play.
It’s almost on par now. With more and more money getting poured in by the NRL. Known friends who’s kids have made the switch

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Been a while since I graced this forum - so long evidently that trying to reset my password for my prior account doesn't work. I suspect that tonight will be our last ever home game so I just wanted to send my thanks to all of my fellow travellers down this road for the last 14 years. We've been let down by almost every party possible over that time, save for the players, but the belief from the supporter group that one day this would work never wavered. I've met a lot of good people thanks to this team and I'm grateful for that.

Enjoy the next couple of weeks. I won't continue with this sport should the Rebels be shut down, but all the best to those that do.
Rebels only formed around 2009 didn't they?

Were you a rugby fan pre-Rebels?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Last night really felt like a goodbye, which is sad.

Like Stu, big cheers to all the fellow tragics who've sat through 14 years of occasional highs and frequent lows. Tip of the hat to the Force fans who have been on a similar journey.

Big middle finger to the east coast elites who've been death riding the Rebels and the Force from the outset.

Honestly the best thing about this club has been seeing local players excel when given a clear pathway and a platform. Hopefully the Wallabies and Aus rugby reap the benefits for a few more years.

f8d679b0-581f-46f6-8884-9889cbd63254.jpg

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
With his two tries last night Lachie Anderson moved into the top 10 Rebels try scorers. He joined Carter Gordon and Dane Haylett-Petty in equal 9th with 12 tries. He passed Jordan Uelese 10 tries and Billy Meakes 11 tries.

Jordan Uelese 69 gamed joined Marika Koroibete in equal 7th on Rebels games played list.

Cabous Eloff played his 49th game for the Rebels. C'mon Kev give him one more game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What would you guys do if this is all just the first step in a broader plan to replace Super Rugby with a domestic pro comp, largely centralised, in which Melbourne have a team, just one with a different name?

Would be awesome if that were the case but would also require a big pot of money we don't have.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Last night really felt like a goodbye, which is sad.

Like Stu, big cheers to all the fellow tragics who've sat through 14 years of occasional highs and frequent lows. Tip of the hat to the Force fans who have been on a similar journey.

Big middle finger to the east coast elites who've been death riding the Rebels and the Force from the outset. Morally bankrupt/fraudulent rebels directors who due to their fiscal negligence and self interest led rescue package destroyed any chance of the rebels surviving. There... fixed that for you

Honestly the best thing about this club has been seeing local players excel when given a clear pathway and a platform. Hopefully the Wallabies and Aus rugby reap the benefits for a few more years.

View attachment 18927

Pone's Mullet

Ron Walden (29)
LClassic moment after the Wallaroos game, I was in the weary room, the RA representative (brave of him to be there tbh) got up to make a speech to a n already frosty crowd…..,and congratulated the Jillaroos for their performance!!!! Crowd booed, he scarpered after a few empty words.

he had one job