• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Like that
Haha - as a long term Reds supporter I have mixed feelings.

No - only kidding. It is fantastic for the local players. There are a bunch of players profiled in the article, a few of which I’ve had some coaching involvement with. If nothing else it is a bit of a thrill for them to get some recognition. I also know a few of the people involved in getting it to come together and it is a credit to them to be able to broker a deal like this. What it actually means who knows but anything that gives local rugby a shot in the arm is great from my perspective.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

Rockhampton Grammar partners with Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels​

Key players from both sides explain what the partnership means and how it will work, and we identify some of the rising talent most likely to benefit.

The Rockhampton Grammar School has forged a partnership with the Melbourne Rebels in a major boost for grassroots rugby union in Central Queensland.
RGS will host clinics and camps, while staff from the Super Rugby franchise will visit the school to support the rugby program, sharing their expertise with players and mentoring coaches and trainers.

Speaking on Tuesday, RGS headmaster Dr Phillip Moulds described the partnership as “an exciting opportunity” for boys and girls who played rugby in the region.

“RGS has long supported rugby union and looks forward to further strengthening these ties,” he said.

“The school continues to provide playing pathways for our students, and this partnership will broaden further skill development opportunities.”
Melbourne Rebels general manager of rugby Nick Stiles said the franchise was eager to develop pathways for players to continue to grow and chase their rugby dreams.

“Having played my first rugby at the old Rugby Park back in the ‘80s, I fully understand the quality and the hard-working rugby community that is in the Rockhampton region, and the Melbourne Rebels look forward to this exciting partnership with RGS,” he said.

Plus player profiles.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting an announcement in my neck of the woods. It is behind a paywall and doesn’t say much other than the Rebels will provide support and it will open up opportunities for local students, but it is certainly the first time there has been any sort of direct relationship with a Super team and a CQ based school that I am aware of.

As long as they’re chipping in funding & resources I’m all for this, even if it is in Queensland.

If other super rugby teams are going to use Queensland pathways for a large chunk of their players pathway's and development, like Rebels have with Wests rugby then it benefits everyone to provide an exchange of money/resources/clinics/exposure to ensure it’s a mutually beneficial relationship.

NRL have done it for years.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haha - as a long term Reds supporter I have mixed feelings.

No - only kidding. It is fantastic for the local players. There are a bunch of players profiled in the article, a few of which I’ve had some coaching involvement with. If nothing else it is a bit of a thrill for them to get some recognition. I also know a few of the people involved in getting it to come together and it is a credit to them to be able to broker a deal like this. What it actually means who knows but anything that gives local rugby a shot in the arm is great from my perspective.
It’s good while we are growing the talent pool in Melbourne, we aren’t going to compete with the talent in Sydney and Brisbane.

We don’t want to have to compete with the Reds or Tahs. Also any player in Rockhampton can never play super rugby in their home city.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s good while we are growing the talent pool in Melbourne, we aren’t going to compete with the talent in Sydney and Brisbane.

We don’t want to have to compete with the Reds or Tahs. Also any player in Rockhampton can never play super rugby in their home city.

I think it is fabulous.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Yeah - I was completely joking just to stir you a bit. This is nothing but good news and I know the local rugby community is extremely excited by it. There are a small number of CQ players who enter the rugby pathways via going to boarding school in Brisbane but you only need to look at how many CQ players who completed their schooling locally are in the Qld SOO side to see how much talent there is in regional Qld that doesn’t have any direct links to pro rugby.

I coach girls rugby. Every year I lose girls that I introduced to tackle footy to league because they can see a pathway there that isn’t apparent in rugby. Some of these girls have gone on the play State Cup level. I’m not expecting there is suddenly going to be a flood of girls heading off to Super teams but I do know that all of the girls I coach, particularly the one’s who go to RGS, are excited by this news.

It’a great and I will be the first one cheering if/when a CQ player gets an opportunity with the Rebels.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah - I was completely joking just to stir you a bit. This is nothing but good news and I know the local rugby community is extremely excited by it. There are a small number of CQ players who enter the rugby pathways via going to boarding school in Brisbane but you only need to look at how many CQ players who completed their schooling locally are in the Qld SOO side to see how much talent there is in regional Qld that doesn’t have any direct links to pro rugby.

I coach girls rugby. Every year I lose girls that I introduced to tackle footy to league because they can see a pathway there that isn’t apparent in rugby. Some of these girls have gone on the play State Cup level. I’m not expecting there is suddenly going to be a flood of girls heading off to Super teams but I do know that all of the girls I coach, particularly the one’s who go to RGS, are excited by this news.

It’a great and I will be the first one cheering if/when a CQ player gets an opportunity with the Rebels.
It'd be great if the next step was a link with somewhere like Emmaus or one of the State Highs.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Alrighty, what's the best set up to help out poor Carter after that 'mare of a campaign.

Do we just hand him the kicking tee from the get go? He's going to be running a very new backline with little cohesion. Wonder if the new 9 will start or we'll stick with Louwrens. I was happy to see Tuttle kicking sticks well for Barbarians.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
For the good of Carter, Rebels and Wallabies I hope he's kicking every single day. Yes, we can have anyone kick in the side but it is desirable of any 10 to be able to do it adequately. He won't get better by putting it away. It then changes the selection of any team he's in if we need someone to take shots.

I think the sooner he gets back into training and being around the guys he was growing with last year the better. If the news is to be believed he can put the campaign behind him and not carry too much judgement.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Aside from taking the tee from the start of the season the best thing for Carter will probably be getting the 9 and 12 settled sooner rather than later. It's a tough position coming into the season with a fair bit of doubt around who is going to be inside and outside of him, particularly if those players are new to the squad. Hopefully Kellaway at fullback will offer good support for him too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Alrighty, what's the best set up to help out poor Carter after that 'mare of a campaign.

Do we just hand him the kicking tee from the get go? He's going to be running a very new backline with little cohesion. Wonder if the new 9 will start or we'll stick with Louwrens. I was happy to see Tuttle kicking sticks well for Barbarians.

Strachan @ 15 maybe? If Dauganu is planned for 12, and Pincus with an LTI, you could shift Kells to wing (a bit of a waste yes, but worth considering) and give him the option of handing those duties off if needed (although my preference is very much that he kicks and gets as much practice as possible).

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Side this week

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpeg
    IMG_7338.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 130

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Hope we make partnerships with other schools in regional Queensland.

I love having a team with local players in it, but we also need to win. We need to balance providing opportunities for locals and being competitive on field